Avid Readers, Question for you

kruznkanuk

If you have a smartphone, download the Overdrive app. Using your library card, you can download audiobooks as MP3s or ebooks. The ebooks are fast...I'll even download them using ship's slow wifi and it takes less than a minute for the actual download. The audiobooks are slower...best to use wifi on shore for that (at home they take about 5 minutes per book).

Even if you can only download ebooks for 2 weeks, they're so quick to download that you can easily do it from the ship. I have a Wish List that I'll go to, choose something that's available and download it. The entire process (signing in, choosing, checking out and downloading) takes less than 5 minutes using ship's wifi. It's pretty cool.

If you're used to HAL or Celebrity libraries, Princess libraries on the Grand Class ships won't compare. On the Island and the Coral, they're still very nice, but on the Grand Class ships they're very small.

For those of you with a kindle...or other type of reader. Download the free Kindle app then sign up for a site called BookBub. Everyday they send a list of the days specials. Have d/l so many free books. Some are great but some are so-so. Doesn't cost anything. But I have found d/l then from the Amazon site is the best. The other sites available tried to charge me tax on a free book (based on original cost). My IPad is loaded with books. Every now and then they even throw in some decent cook books.

I switched to a Kindle several years ago and really enjoyed reading with it. I have now switchted to the Ipad mini and love it. I do have a padded cover that I bought from Amazon which makes it feel more like a book. It took a few weeks with the first e-reader to get used to the feel as I was a fan of paperbacks. Now I am most happy with the feel and size of the Ipad mini and all the neat things I can do with it. It is small enough and light enough to fit in my purse. I like the notes app. I use it to make shopping lists and just pop it out when at the grocery store and after getting an item on the list just erase it. really handy. Also love the calendar and Netflix apps. E-mail is also soo easy.

I wouldn't consider going on a cruise without many books loaded on it.

Archived