MSC on "safe return to port"

sthelder

Glad to know that MSC is the most responsive cruiseline contacted. Their newer fleet could mean it's easier for MSC to comply with the new standards.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5201

"But the regulation focuses on new ships -- for which construction began after July 1, 2010. And because the rules look to the future, mandatory compliance is only required of a handful of existing cruise ships, like Carnival Breeze and the soon-to-debut Norwegian Breakaway. There are existing ships that comply to some extent, though they're not required to. For example, the 5,400-passenger Oasis and Allure of the Seas, the world's largest cruise ships, each has two independently operating engine rooms. MSC Divina also features redundant means for propulsion.

So what of Carnival Triumph, launched in 1999, Carnival Splendor (2008), Azamara Quest (2000) and Costa Allegra (1969, since scrapped). How do you stop engine room fires from frying the wires and debilitating the ship?

Retrofitting ships to have independent engine rooms or duplicated propulsion systems is not typically a realistic option, experts say.

With older ships, naval architects probably would have to redesign all essential systems onboard. It's economically infeasible, say experts. So the emphasis is on new ships. That's where you can have the most impact without suddenly forcing a multitude of vessels to retire, as happened to the iconic QE2 and others when new international fire-safety requirements went into effect in 2010. There is no requirement for older hardware akin to "safe return to port," explained Natasha, external relations officer for the IMO.

Focusing on new-builds leaves out most of the industry's current stable.

Steps are being taken. For instance, MSC spokesperson Gail Nicholas told us that two of its newest ships, MSC Fantasia and MSC Splendida, will be retrofitted to feature the redundant system setup. (We haven't confirmed if doing so was made easier because of the specific design of those ships.) At the moment, it's been hard to get a beat on what other lines are doing on a granular level. You'd think that modern vessels, even those built before 2010, would feature sophisticated back-up systems that would kick in in the case of emergency.

We reached out to six operators, including Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Princess, Holland America and MSC, for more information on which ships in their respective fleet comply to the safe return to port regulations (even if not required), if there are plans for updating older vessels, and current automatic fire suppression systems. Holland America referred us to the Cruise Lines International Association, an industry lobby that represents every major player. (CLIA in turn said it couldn't go into detail on any specific line.) Only the aforementioned MSC offered a response.

MSC Divina (debuted May 2012) and MSC Preziosa (launching in March) "are fitted with a duplicated propulsion system enabling them to maintain operating conditions with some limitations in power (but 50 percent of the main power necessary for nominal speed), speed, range and comfort, in the case of any single failure of items relative to the propulsion or power generating system," Nicholas explained. If one fails, the "other does not lose any functionality, providing sufficient conditions for a safe return to port.""

Thanks for that, I was kinda wondering about it, specially as I am due to embark Lirica on Monday and will be maybe 1000 miles from land during the transatlantic.

That is a **ll of a long tow at 4 knots with no toilets if things go wrong in the one engine room.

Anyway I am packing a decent flashlight this time,spare batteries, and some ziploc bags. Don't know what else would help really if it turns into a Triumph situation.

Good to know that the new ships have a get home chance with a second engine room.

Good to read that Divina has it built in and it would be good if they can retro fit the other 2 in the Fantasia class. The Destiny class of ships of which there are quite a few like the Carnival Triumph seem to have huge problems in the future.

Good to read that Divina has it built in and it would be good if they can retro fit the other 2 in the Fantasia class. The Destiny class of ships of which there are quite a few like the Carnival Triumph seem to have huge problems in the future.

To be fair, Destiny class was only Destiny, Triumph and Victory, not "quite a few". I personally hated Destiny, that ship should have been redone years ago....and is now being totally gutted and redone as Sunshine.

However, I doubt it will have the "return to port" 2 engine room feature.

Probably "newer" is better JMO...especially as ships got larger and larger.

MSC does have the "new" factor!

To be fair, Destiny class was only Destiny, Triumph and Victory, not "quite a few". I personally hated Destiny, that ship should have been redone years ago....and is now being totally gutted and redone as Sunshine.

However, I doubt it will have the "return to port" 2 engine room feature.

Probably "newer" is better JMO...especially as ships got larger and larger.

MSC does have the "new" factor!

Phew! That was a narrow escape, I nearly booked the spring transatlantic on Destiny, glad I didn't.

Lirica had a much better price for solo occupancy though the airfares were higher as the ports were not so convenient for me.

sharecruises .... The destiny platform was enlarged for their later ships including Costa`s and the Concordia but it appears that everything else wasn`t ! hence the the issues that are arising now.

Actually Destiny is in a class by itself....it was an enlargement of the Fantasy class....more decks and 1000 more people but same buffet..so horribly crowded

they made a few improvements in Triumph and Victory which are considered "Destiny" class...then they put out Conquest class which addressed more of the problems and added steakhouse

Dream, Majic and Breeze are same "class" but apparently Breeze has the "redundant" engine/backup system (as it was built after July 2010

The other Carnival ship with a problem Splendor "stands alone'...it was stated for Costa and transferred to Carnival before completion.

JMO Destiny and Triumph have both been having various propulsion and engine etc problems for years. When I was on Destiny it had air cond problems. I would not look forward to either one of them

Archived