Walkie-Talkie on a ship: good idea?

ashoor

I do not understand the need to be in touch 24 hours a day. If seems very simple to me to set a specific time for everyone to be somewhere and if one of your party doesn't show up, so what? Maybe they don't want to be there. Stop trying to be in control all of the time. It's annoying.

I'm with you. We will leave messages for each other in the cabin or on the door. Even our teen went along with this. But other than that, we did what we wanted during the day and knew the other two in our family was someplace on the ship. Having traditional dining helped in letting our daughter know when we were getting ready for dinner and where we would be eating so if she wanted to eat with us, she'll know how to find us. No need for the three of us to be joined at the hip all the time.

Certainly the idea of having to carry around a walkie talkie wasn't attractive to us. Even my cell phone was turned off in and in our cabin on sea days. And the three of us stayed together in port so no need to carry anything but my cell (I would have it just in case we needed to call for a taxi)

While walkie talkies in themselves are not annoying or disruptive ... it is the rude, inconsiderate users that are annoying and disruptive. :mad: We have been in the theater (during a wonderful production show) when one of these people (?) had her walkie talkie crackling and hissing with her speaking into it (in a loud voice) "What was that? I can't hear you." on and on repeatedly until several people started getting on her about leaving - which she did, but only after disrupting the enjoyment of the show. Other cruises, similar encounters in various venues ... sitting at breakfast ... art auction ... a quiet lounge where everyone was reading ... etc. Walkie talkies are wonderful ... as long as they are TURNED OFF! :D