Missing the port of Grand Cayman.

2013CruiseBride

I know that Grand Cayman can be missed since it is a tender port. I'm not going to stress about it if our cruise does miss it but I will worry about it until then. So quick question. For those of you that have missed this port can you tell me what month it was that your cruise missed GC? Thanks in advance.:)

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

it is in the winter months that you have a better chance of missing this port, as well as if there is a hurricane around.

Well one of the reasons I choose May was due to it being before Hurricane season. Keep your fingers crossed for me please. :D

I know that Grand Cayman can be missed since it is a tender port. I'm not going to stress about it if our cruise does miss it but I will worry about it until then. So quick question. For those of you that have missed this port can you tell me what month it was that your cruise missed GC? Thanks in advance.:)

If this is your biggest worry in life, you're pretty sheltered.

Besides, there's really nothing to do in GC once you've done Stingray City, visited the turtle farm or you can just go to Hell.

Edit...I missed GC this past October to avoid Hurricane Sandy and got my favorite port (Costa Maya) instead because I never tire of going to the beach in Majihual.

Besides, there's really nothing to do in GC once you've done Stingray City, visited the turtle farm or you can just go to Hell.

I agree she can go to Hell, but we so love the beach.

Probably hurricane season would be your biggest chance to miss it, as that is the time of year cruise lines routinely switch ports to avoid the path of storms. I've been to GC 4 times: March, November, December, and January. No issues those months, except a hurricane that formed over us in November 2008 right when we were getting ready to leave. Hurricane Paloma. According to Wikipedia Hurricane Paloma caused heavy damage in both the Cayman Islands and Cuba. Damages in the Caymans amounted to $154.4 million (USD).

All I can say is... Wow! :/

Cruisebride, I hope you have a wonderful wedding and cruise! The only port I have ever missed, out of 3 cruises, is Roatan, which is the only one I had never been to on that intinerary. It was in November. It was still a wonderful trip and honeymoon. I wouldn't sweat it at all. Have a great time and enjoy your special week!

Not to belittle GC but there just isn't much to it. There is some fine diving and snorkleing. For the normal croud the turtle farm, Hell and Rum factory are boring places. About all that is left is shopping. I would prefer an extra day somewhere else or another stop.

Missed GC at the end of May 2011 due to heavy rain and wind. Almost missed it again the third week of January this year due to high wind; we ended up tendering to Spotts bay instead of George Town.

Same thing happened to us January 2010.

No issues March of 2011.

We like taking a cab to the beach, rent a beach chair and hang out a while. Then we walk the beach back towards town for a bit (don't forget to bring a bag to collect shells and coral). When we're tired of walking, head up to the main road and grab a cab back into town. Shop a bit, then back to the tender.

Peg

Edit...I missed GC this past October to avoid Hurricane Sandy and got my favorite port (Costa Maya) instead because I never tire of going to the beach in Majihual.

Thank you to all the responses. I think you missed the point though Florissouri. The wedding is while we are in GC. So if we miss it no wedding. We actually aren't getting off the ship while we are there.

I'll continue to be positive but not surprised if we do end up not being able to stop.

We've missed port stops in Grand Cayman quite a few times over the years.

These were various times New Year's through February ... not a time to expect bad weather in the Caribbean. :confused:

On others (same time frame) the weather has been absolutely perfect. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Thank you to all the responses. I think you missed the point though Florissouri. The wedding is while we are in GC. So if we miss it no wedding. We actually aren't getting off the ship while we are there.

I'll continue to be positive but not surprised if we do end up not being able to stop.

No, no...I encourage you to get off the ship and get married in Hell. That way if your marriage doesn't work out you can honestly say,

"It began in Hell and went downhill from there."

Missed Grand Cayman in September 2004 due to Hurricane Ivan... we actually cruised during the hurricane, so we knew prior to setting sailing we weren't going. I am happy to report that we are finally going back next January! WooHoo

I can boast about saying 2001 NCL cruise had to miss GC due to rough seas. 2004 RCL cruise had to miss GC and got caught up in hurricane Ivan. Then tried again in 2005 and missed GC. Of course it is my fault for cruising during hurricane season or someone just doesn't want me on that island.

Archived