foreign currency

Vt Rider

Do people take foreign currency for the different destinations? We're leaving next Saturday for an eastern Caribbean cruise where I have some excursions planned that are not through the ship. Do I need to worry about pesos and such? I'm not even sure what currency is used on some non US islands.

Do people take foreign currency for the different destinations? We're leaving next Saturday for an eastern Caribbean cruise where I have some excursions planned that are not through the ship. Do I need to worry about pesos and such? I'm not even sure what currency is used on some non US islands.

In the Caribbean we only used dollars, mostly ones. Even the smallest size store or vendor cart accepted them.

In Europe we get ahead of time from our bank or at the airport exchange, whatever local currency we might need for ports. We don't want to look for ATM machines in ports.

We used USD in the Bahamas and have been told we can in Bermuda. One thing to be careful of. Take small bills and try to get as close to the amount as possible, because many vendors will try to give you change in local currency. Unless it's the beginning of the day, and you know you'll be able to spend a large amount of the local currency on lunch and such, try to avoid large amounts of their currency, which is harder to get rid of stateside.

DML

No need to take anything other than USD.

Archived