St John - tour of island AND trunk bay?

tiff123

Can anyone offer tips of being able to see some of the island of St. John and have some time at Truck Bay?

Specifically I'd like to see Annaberg Sugar Plantation Ruins and stop at some overlooks for quick pics, and then spend about an hour or two at Trunk Bay snorkeling. Then I'd like to do some shopping (either Cruz Bay or back on St. Thomas).

Does that seem doable time-wise (we are in at 7am and out at 5pm)? Are there taxis at Cruz Bay that would take us on a tour such as this?

My thoughts were catch the 8am ferry, get to Cruz Bay by 8:20, in a taxi by 8:30, take a 2 hr tour of ruins and picture stops, get to Trunk Bay by 10:30 am, stay until 12:30, get into a taxi by 12:45 back to Cruz Bay, shop for 1 hr, take 2pm ferry back to St. Thomas and then have 1.5 hours before it is time to get back onto the boat. It sounds doable to me - am I missing something?

Thanks

Your estimated times are too specific, you are on island time, remember but, yes, that is typical. We would take the 3PM ferry back unless you want more time in Havensight but the 2PM is safer.

There are several taxis lined up in Cruz and there will be a coordinator. Al you is hop in the next taxi. The driver will give you the option to stay on when others get out at Trunk, then back to Trunk for a bit then Cruz.

Couldn't be easier, everyone else is doing something similar and the drivers are very good.

Your estimated times are too specific, you are on island time, remember but, yes, that is typical. We would take the 3PM ferry back unless you want more time in Havensight but the 2PM is safer.

There are several taxis lined up in Cruz and there will be a coordinator. Al you is hop in the next taxi. The driver will give you the option to stay on when others get out at Trunk, then back to Trunk for a bit then Cruz.

Couldn't be easier, everyone else is doing something similar and the drivers are very good.

Thanks, that is great to know. I am not locked in stone on the times, except for getting on the earliest ferry going in and the 2pmish ferry going out. We have to be on the ship at 4pm, so I think the ferry coming back at 2pm is safest in case there is traffic. Plus I may want to browse around port for souvenirs. If for some reason the captain says we will be staying till 6pm, then I'd take another hour at Trunk and take the 3pm ferry.

You could even spend an hour at Paradise Point if you were so inclined by having the driver drop you there and take the tram down as it's a short walk to the ship. Have you been there already?

No I haven't been there but it also something I would like to do. How long are the tram rides?

We did exactly what you are looking to do while in St. Thomas last October.

In my signature there is a link to our photos....this was our 2nd time to St. John on our own and this trip we did the island tour. Very doable.

THere were 6 of us traveling together, we negotiated with the open air taxi upon arrival in St. John. We paid an extra $5, total $30 pp for the island tour and a stop at Trunk Bay for swimming and relaxing and our driver waited for us.

It was a fabulous day! We stopped at the Sugar Mills and I have plenty of photos. Probably the most amazing "thing" was the HUGE termite nests along the road in the trees, they are almost human size.

We had time for shopping, but we are not shoppers. We took the 3 pm ferry back to St. Thomas and got back on board in plenty of time for our 5:30 departure on the Dream.

Not sure what we will do in St. Thomas when we visit this coming Sept. maybe a day trip to Water Island.

Have a great cruise!

Susan

Archived