Captain of Triumph?

dwjoe

Who is Captain of Triumph? Does anyone know? Haven't seen any references to this anywhere, which is surprising considering how much media attention the Triumph has had over the last few days.

Found this one article from around 2009 where it was Captain La Fauci, but nothing else.

http://www.beyondships.com/CarnivalTriumph-art-captain.html

That's a good question. I saw an article where the captain and the cruise director were faulted for not being forthcoming with information. The cruise director was Jen who has a negative fan base to begin with. I got to know Jen better on my third cruise with her and she really does have a good heart. Poor thing has a voice that is like nails on a chalkboard.

Why would the Captain or Cruise Director be at fault? This was something the captain couldn't control. He did what he was trained to do. He called the Coast Guard and for help since the ship had nothing besides basic power. They won't be reported in the media because this was an engine failure not a staff failure.

Why would the Captain or Cruise Director be at fault? This was something the captain couldn't control. He did what he was trained to do. He called the Coast Guard and for help since the ship had nothing besides basic power. They won't be reported in the media because this was an engine failure not a staff failure.

Because someone has to be the bad guy. The post I read are that the Captain and the Cruise Director were not up front with the information. Since they are the "heads of the ship" they get the blame. Not that I agree with it, but that's how it goes in the corporate world.

The Cruise Director is not the head of anything. In fact there trained just as well as the crew is to lower lifeboats, put out fires and make announcements. How could this be the captains fault? Their not even in the engine room. That was out of anyones control. The only thing they can do is control the fire and put it out. The cruise line won't blame them. No one died and no one was hurt there for he's off the hook. If they question anyone it will be the chief engineer which I even doubt because the automated system went off. So there's no real blame. The cruise line can't place blame

The Cruise Director is not the head of anything.

Maybe in theory, the cruise director is not he head of anything, but they get the blame when something goes wrong. Just ask John Heald.

Cruise Director holds an Officer position on the ship, so there is some sort of responsibility that goes with that. It's that person's voice who you here over the PA system hawking jewelry, bingo etc.

Edited by CWcruisers

He didn't go to school to get a license he's not an officer. Its a loosely used title. The head of all departments on cruise ships are known as an officer of some kind but no license no real title. However the cruise director won't be blamed. And if they are over what? How is a fire their fault? How could they have prevented this? and what did you want them to do?

A Captain earns his title by many years of sailing experience, so there is a "school" of sorts. What makes an officer? My son is a Captain in the Air Force. There is a rank and file system in all professions. I don't know what it takes to be an officer on a cruise ship, I do know what it took for my son to become an officer.

I think you're mis-reading what I am saying. Trust me, I do not blame the Cruise Director or the Captain for the fire, I'm just saying, they take the heat when anything goes wrong. The biggest complaints from the passengers was a lack of information which comes from these two people.

From ancient times the Captain of a vessel has been its lord and master. Captains are responsible for the safety of their craft, its passengers and cargo. If something goes wrong the captain bears the ultimate blame.

Until the formal investigations are completed and the results made known I don't think it's reasonable to presume "engine failure" nor is it reasonable to assume that no person or entity contributed to the total loss of propulsion.

I'm drawing a blank on him, which is sad because I was on that boat twice.

The only captain I remember is the old Captain of the Legend (who I think works in the office now), just because he looked like he was out of central casting for "Italian Cruise Ship Captain Guy".

Who is Captain of Triumph? Does anyone know? Haven't seen any references to this anywhere, which is surprising considering how much media attention the Triumph has had over the last few days.

Found this one article from around 2009 where it was Captain La Fauci, but nothing else.

http://www.beyondships.com/CarnivalTriumph-art-captain.html

I was on the Triumph 1/14/13 - 1/19/13. At that time the Master was Angelo Los and the CD was Jen Baxter.

I was on the Triumph 1/14/13 - 1/19/13. At that time the Master was Angelo Los and the CD was Jen Baxter.

Those two were the same ones on the Feb 7th sailing. I don't hold either one responsible, but I do have to wonder if, with the previous problems the ship has had, that something could have been done to prevent the fire?

I'll have to wait for the investigation to be completed and see what they find.

A little excerpt I found on him on JH's blog

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/02/22/captains-fantastic/

Captain Los is the great entertainer and many a Carnival executive and employee has tales of his legendary 7-hour dinners which included the funniest jokes and the occasional magic trick as well. On the night Heidi and I got engaged the Carnival Imagination was in wet dock in Miami and we shared a wonderful dinner with Angelo and his beautiful wife Elizabeth at the Chart House restaurant. We sat overlooking the water and it was indeed a special night……….one that included a dolphin making a surprise appearance.

Angelo………..he insists on being called that rather than Captain…………would give you his last penny, the shirt of his back and then shave all the hair of his body and knit you a blanket if he thought it would help you.

My favorite example of his kindness came back in 1998 when we were together. We were in Cozumel and Angelo had been out for dinner when he came across a small sack lying in the gutter……….something was moving inside it………..he discovered a small puppy which some complete and utter bastardo and dumped. Captain Los is a huge animal lover and knowing that he could never just leave the dog lying in the gutter to die he took it on board breaking a few laws as he did so.

However, he didn’t care……..the welfare of this living thing was too important to worry about red tape. The dog lived onboard for the rest of the cruise while Angelo called the company and various agencies to tell them that he wanted to take care of the animal. He did……..and Cozumel as the dog was called lived for many happy years with them in their beautiful home in Port Dover, Canada. …………….That’s Captain Los……a wonderful example of why our Captains are the best.

jhbloglos.jpg?05d1aa

It is true that the captain of a ship is ultimately responsible for the welfare and safety of all passengers and crew however when it came to the decision of what to do with the Triumph Passengers most if not all of the input came from the upper management of Carnival. The same can be said about the decision to keep the ship in service despite the recent propulsion issues. They have to balance the risks vs the loss of income. Unfortunately for Carnival, the gamble didn't pay off. That being said, I will be enjoying my cruise this April on Magic!

I do not know if the captain is the least bit responsible for any improper actions or not...he may well have done everything 'by the book'. However, as a previous poster has stated..ship captains have always been held up to scrutiny...sometimes very unfairly...for tragedies or sinkings of their vessels. While it may be unfair to compare, just look up the unfair treatment Captain McVay of the USS Indianapolis recieved after his ship was sunk by a submarine in 1945. Even tho the US Navy gave this brave man a royal screwing...he still considered himself partly to blame because it was 'his ship'. Now I know the Triumph incident was a far cry from an act of war, the point I make is that ship captains have traditionally been expected to be the absolute master of their vessels...held in high asteem...but also held under a high level of responsibility for all who sail under him. My guess is this Triumph captain followed procedure....just a guess....but we shouldnt be too suprised if the first fingers of blame point to him, because its always been that way. We were on the Triumph last November and met the captain when we took the behind the fun tour. I was very impressed with this man we we visited with him.He answered all our questions with what seemed genuine honesty and he didnt seem unfriendly or too put out to be speaking with us. I guess I was expecting him to be more..well...stuck up or something. But it was as if we were visiting with a neighbor. Does this make him a competant ship captain? maybe not, but we both left with the feeling he knew what he was doing. At least he was good with that aspect of his job.:)

Thats why carnival sucks i hope they get rid of carnival my travél agent had told me yesterday 200 guess cancel carinval cruises,she booking these people on rccl ships rccl is very Safe compañy they always Check there ships

What a foolish statement considering RCCL's Allure of the Seas had an engine fire last year..... their newest ship !

I know Captain Los and he is wonderful....

however the Chief Engineer is the one incharge of anything other than the Navigational Bridge.

In fact, the Chief Engineer is also considered a Captain of the Powerplant where the other is the Captain of the Navigational Bridge and the Master of the Vessel.

The amount of information given to the passengers concerning an incident, is decided on the ship. Since the Captain is the top man, even if he did not announce explanations himself, he would have to"sign off" on any statement.

Regardless of the "incident" he would ask for an explanantion and I suspect a signed report from the officer in charge of the department. He would then decide when and how much information would be given to the passengers.

For myself , being "anal retentive" if I had been on board, I would be concerned as to :-

Time fire started, who was in the area, what did they do to control fire, time fire was OUT , action taken to get passengers to areas of safety (i.e muster stations "just in case" when every minute could count).

After danger has passed"-

What action taken to ensure well being of all passengers, including rationing of food (by deck for meals), water, places to sleep, etc.

From the accounts I have read, it seems no action to control the passengers was taken, it was "free for all", witness that nighmare of extension cords, just so the passengers could text, use I pods, Kindles etc. Any responsible officer should have immediately stopped that life threatening risk of fire.

No one was killed or injured, but it would seem that the management staff , both on board and in Miami, did not know what to do or how to do it, just as with Concordia.

Thanks for the info that Triumph's Captain is Angelo Los.

I googled him and found another reference on John Heald's blog.

When Heald started in 1987, Angelo Los was the safety officer on board. Heald remembers him saying, you may be entertainers and stewards, but never forget that you are seamen first.

Sounds like a man who takes safety seriously.

The Navy and The Maritime industry are 2 totally different things. One involves someone in listing and then moving up the ranks and eventually becoming the "rank" of captain and the other involves going to school getting your license and taking rigorous exams so they can sail. The cruise director is an entertainer not an officer. they are trained in basic safety meaning they can drop a lifeboat and put out a fire and make a safety announcement. If they were a safety officer they would be the one making the announcement in the middle of the night when the fires happen. Since they aren't they fall under the title as entertainment staff not an officer not a safety officer an entertainer. The captain falls under attack if HE screwed up. No one died so the coast guard is glad the ship made it back safely. If he was under attack you would have heard about him in the news already just like the costa ship and that captain. He was blamed from day one. The officers on the bridge and the engine room had no control in this situation. All they could do was put it out and if not then they could have called abandon ship. Passengers don't need to be notified of ever detail because again panic sets in. you claim now you'd want to know but if you were in there shoes and heard there was a fire you'd probably end up panicking. The captain and his crew did the right thing and no one will be blamed since no one died and no one was hurt.