Best way to Text Family when away

DeRon

We are with AT&T. What is the best way to stay in touch with the kids and family on the ship for the money? Is it paying an international plan so when you're in port, or using the ships wifi and using something like Facebook chat or something?

Thanks!!

If you have wifi and an iphone (or maybe other smart phones too) you can send messages without roaming.

We always had an international texting plan and it worked fine. It costs more from the boat while at sea than on land though. It was pretty affordable though in my opinion.

We are with AT&T. What is the best way to stay in touch with the kids and family on the ship for the money? Is it paying an international plan so when you're in port, or using the ships wifi and using something like Facebook chat or something?

Thanks!!

Programs like Facebook chat , Facetime and Skype are usually blocked on the ships . You don't say how old are your kids . It might be just easier to send an email to the primary person looking after them saying that you love , miss them and are coming home soon.

If you don't need to chat in real time, email is probably your best option. You can write all of your emails offline and then just connect for a minute or two to send them. Then you can connect again later for a few minutes to check for replies.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

We have Verizon, and St. Thomas definitely is roaming for them. Thought otherwise and came home to a $150 phone bill! Just a heads up to folks on that plan.

We have used Google Talk successfully on several cruises. You need to pay the internet minutes, but that worked for us (we were lucky to have free Elite minutes - others would need to weigh the benefit)

We have Verizon phones, also. Outgoing texts were 50¢, incoming were 10¢, IIRC. It was a great way to keep in touch and get Greek, military history lessons from my brother.

Be careful about using data or iMessage (data). Phone calls will be a set price per minute, the amount depending on your location.

Best to call AT&T. You can buy an international data plan, which I usually do for the (AT&T) iPad.

yes, it varies by carrier. Just wanted to give a heads up to Verizon customers. I thought I would be fine and got a rude awakening to say the least. Verizon does offer no roaming in most of Puerto Rico. It definitely pays to know the limitations/benefits of your particular plan

I can only speak for Verizon, but both on ship and international (if your phone has international calling) texts are $0.50 to send and $0.05 to receive over the cellular network. If you are connected to wifi you can use various apps to text for free over wifi. Viber is my app of choice for free iPhone to iPhone text and calls over wifi.

Archived