If Carnival goes bye-bye what then?

MissMeggieMurphy

So many people obviously want Carnival Corporation to go bye-bye. So what happens then and will its demise make the cruising industry better? And remember we are talking about 10 cruise lines becoming history including Carnival, Hal, Princess, Costa, Cunard, Ibero, P&O Australia, Seabourn.

That basically leaves RCCL and RCCL owned lines the only game in town.

So many people obviously want Carnival Corporation to go bye-bye. So what happens then and will its demise make the cruising industry better? And remember we are talking about 10 cruise lines becoming history including Carnival, Hal, Princess, Costa, Cunard, Ibero, P&O Australia, Seabourn.

I don't think people want Carnival to go out of business. I do, however, think that consumer confidence could be won over again if they announced a new maintenance plan or something similar. They need to make people feel safe again and let the public know they are taking safety seriously. Public relations 101.

We have never sailed Carnival, but I sure don't want them to be gone. I also do not think they should be gone because of the Triumph incident. Costa is still around, and their incident was much more serious. I look at each cruise line separately from each company.

BP is around. Heck, congress is still around and look at what screw ups they have had.;)

Andrew

I don't think people want Carnival to go out of business. I do, however, think that consumer confidence could be won over again if they announced a new maintenance plan or something similar. They need to make people feel safe again and let the public know they are taking safety seriously. Public relations 101.

Agree 100%.

Although I found Carnival is going bye bye... Hypothetically lets say NTSB faults Carnival for lack of maitenance in this, which I they did with Norweigan and the Norway, in this case no one died. *IF* Anything the Parent would go under, and they would sell off the individual brands to meet their debt obligations... CCL may come under new ownership, but it isn't goin anywhere...

CCL is not going bye-bye.

I agree. In a few months, the average American will not even remember the event involving the Triumph.(Kind of like the Splendor). The people on this forum are much closer to the cruise industry than the average person, and have a much different view of the impact of the event.

Let's get real here.

If Carnival goes Bye-Bye the legal entities go bye-bye. The assets (i.e. ships) remain. The creditors would then sell the ships to anyone who wants them. It could be an existing cruise line or an entirely new group. The ships would then be refurbished and re - enter service.

As long as there is demand for a product or service, there will be supply. All that needs to be done it that both parties, demand and supply, agree on a price.

There is no way Carnival is going bye-bye. Yes she has had her share of problems over the past year but she is still the largest cruise line company around. Her percentages are going to be way higher when it comes to accidents than other cruise lines considering how many cruiseships CCL Corp. owns.

Bye-Bye...no way!.

There is no way Carnival is going bye-bye. Yes she has had her share of problems over the past year but she is still the largest cruise line company around. Her percentages are going to be way higher when it comes to accidents than other cruise lines considering how many cruiseships CCL Corp. owns.

Bye-Bye...no way!.

OMG. Her percentages will be higher.......

No. Her actual number of incidents will be higher because of the larger number of ships. Hopefully the percentage will be about the same as other lines.

Please people - THINK before you post.

:rolleyes:

I feel perfectly safe cruising with Carnival. :rolleyes::cool::rolleyes:

Saw one of Carnival's excorporate officers being interviewed on the Bill O'Reilly Show (Juan Williams did the interview). He also wrote a book about cruising and everything you need to know. He said this incident would not hurt Carnival because they have deep pockets.

There was a maritime lawyer also interviewed at the same time - he didn't sound too hopeful IMHO that any passenger would get any kind of big bucks for their inconvenience.

I guess I wasn't thinking the way you are. I personally just meant that if Carnival Corp has 100 ships and Azamara has 2 ships then if Carnival had 10 fires and Azamara has one that Carnival would have a higher number of fires over Azamara. I probably am still not making sense lol, maybe you can word it better.

I believe Azamara's percentage is still higher...50% over about 10% for Carnival's with your figures...lol

I get what you're saying tho...it's just all bad...we need to understand there's always risk in everything we do...just walking down a street can be a risk at times! :o

OMG. Her percentages will be higher.......

No. Her actual number of incidents will be higher because of the larger number of ships. Hopefully the percentage will be about the same as other lines.

Please people - THINK before you post.

:rolleyes:

I guess I wasn't thinking the way you are. I personally just meant that if Carnival Corp has 100 ships and Azamara has 2 ships then if Carnival had 10 fires and Azamara has one that Carnival would have a higher number of fires over Azamara. I probably am still not making sense lol, maybe you can word it better.

CCL is not going bye-bye.

I agree. I was comparing the NCL Dawn to the Valor last night and came across this about the Dawn..

2009 Power outage incident

On November 27, 2009, Norwegian Dawn lost all power while returning to Miami. United States Coast Guard ships and helicopters were dispatched to the scene to assist. During the power outage, the more than 2,000 passengers on the ship had no access to running water, electricity, air conditioning or toilet services in the hot Caribbean environment. The temperatures in the area at the time were around 85 °F (29.4 °C) with 67% relative humidity. At least some power was restored and the ship was able to make port in San Juan, PR, not Miami as the itinerary dictated, to allow repairs to be made.[6]

[edit] 2010 Engine Incident

On August 27, 2010, Norwegian Dawn experienced engine problems. NCL gave all passengers $50.00 back from their port charges, as they had to leave Bermuda early to return to New York at a slower speed.[7]

I sailed on the Dawn June 2012. It was awesome!

Why is the media jumping on the Triumph? I bet if I googled a few more ships, I would find they all have their problems. Carnival isnt going anywhere. Cant wait for MAY!

You just did.:) except a 10% rate on Amamara would be .2 incidents.

While I would have graded your first post an 'F', this one deserves a 'B'.

Good effort!:D

Sincerley,

Professor Dawg

First of all, they have insurance that covers this kind of thing. CCL isn't going anywhere and I think more people have a better attitude than that about it all. They aren't letting this situation impact their decisions. Some will, most won't.

Second, stop making it seem like people's lives were in any danger. No one died, and the ones that needed help, got it to the best of Carnival's abilities in the situation at hand.

They weren't in danger of starving. Hello! They were all on a ship at the beginning of a cruise. Last behind the scenes tour I did, they told us they load the boat for up to two week's worth of food for every week itinerary. It was the ability to cook and heat food, as well as the hoarders, that limited what they could safely serve. Unless you wanted your chicken breast raw...

Too many people are way too self-centered and think if they aren't getting preferential treatment in a crisis, something is wrong with the whole company and thousands must lose their jobs because one person was so inconvenienced with everything that everyone else was going through.

Preventable or not, things like this happen and no matter how prepared you think you are, there will always be the human-element mob-mentality that throws things off. Carnival will likely be a little more likely to err on the side of caution with potential problems during inspections. Often it is things like this that help a company see where they truly need improvements that they did not realize were needed. Before this, their usual methods of inspection probably worked fine, but are no longer accurate. Now they must regroup and devise a new plan.

The other thing is too many people are way too spoiled in their own self-worth that they cannot adjust to changing conditions when things don't go as planned.

Uh-huh...And people in Hell want ice water.

Archived