Embassy Suites Fort L. a disappointment

sunshine nana

We just stayed pre-cruise at the Fort Lauderdale Embassy Suites and it was a big disappointment. I wish we had stayed at a less expensive hotel with free shuttle. We paid over $200 for a rather run down room and about $15 for a taxi there and to the ship. The manager's reception was the worst we have seen. It was a choice of two wines and a couple of beer choice and chips and salsa! That's it! I told the hostess we had had great hot food, cheese and crackers, veggies etc. and great choice of drinks at other locations and she said that is all they ever had! It was close to the wine store, but we could have bought a nice bottle of wine and some good food for a fraction of what we paid extra for the Embassy. Also, there was not "trolley" to the beach. It only runs on week-ends this time of year.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Tampa two years ago before our cruise,,and like you I was not impressed. Cost of the room then add in 20 bucks for parking and add in internet (since that wasnt free) plus the stale salsa and chips...

nope never again

wow that's too bad, we just stayed there in September and it was great. I recall there being many drink options, I had a marguarita...and i dont recall the food because we had just eaten.

The breakfast in the morning was great..and so was our room. We paid 99.00, but it was in off season.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

I thought we were the only ones. We'd heard such great reviews on this hotel and was pretty disappointed. The rooms were run down and the first 2 non-smoking rooms smelled stongly of stale smoke. Won't be staying there again! :rolleyes:

We stayed there in Dec. and everything was very nice. My DH had a mixed drink of some kind. I had wine ( this is

what I drink). We had plenty of snacks and our room was not run down. It was very nice. Infact we have a reservation for Dec. 2013

Not really impressed with it either but am staying here in a couple of weeks again. Nice thing is location. Publix and total wine right there and easy to walk to places to eat. Cab fare less then to some of the beach hotels. Also less cab fare to port. Good for just a one night per cruise but would not stay here post cruise as then I want to enjoy the beach. We get into FLL around dinner time so not much free time anyway. We head to the port early. It is not a fancy place just convenient for us.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We always book this hotel when in FLL. Our most recent stay was in December. Room was nice, clean. Breakfast was made to order and all that one could ask for. Manager's reception had open bar (not top rail) and a nice variety of snacks.

The location is perfect! Walking distance to grocery and various types of restaurants.

We have stayed at some hum-dinger of hotels in FLL and this is the best we have been at without spending a fortune. I have never paid over $135 a night here.

It's a shame the trolley wasn't in service during your stay. That was perfect way to hit the beach.

The last 2 times we stayed at FL Embassy Suites, we were disappointed as well. We have since moved on to Hilton Marina (nice, no problems), and the Hilton Beach Resort (a 10 out of 10!) and this year it's Lago Mar. I'm so excited, I cannot wait. :D

None of my family enjoyed our last stay at ES so I'm right there with you. I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations either.

When the ES was built 20 years ago or so, It was the most unique layout and amenities in Ft. Lauderdale. It is still a good property but dated and small rooms.

The ES in Deerfield Beach is newer and each suite has 2 bathrooms and all the amenities and on the ocean.

In Boca Raton, that is a good one, too.

But for cruisers, you can't beat the FLL location along with the amenities.

I'll be there in 3 weeks myself.;)

. Our most recent stay was in December. Room was nice, clean. We have stayed at some hum-dinger of hotels in FLL and this is the best we have been at without spending a fortune. I have never paid over $135 a night here.

This is a really discounted off peak rate for this hotel. You can't really get a room here at that price during winter cruising months from late Dec -March.

I see this hotel as a pretty moderate chain, overpriced and certainly not a first pick for us. Especially for more than a night. The location for last min shopping and restaurants and what people perceive as a "free" breakfast and drink makes it popular with cruisers. Some will be disappointed after reading the hype here by the frequenters.

We stayed there in November for 4 nights for something work related and we enjoyed it. The room was updated and very clean. I'm a Hilton Honnors member so the internet was free. The managers reception only had chips & salsa and another dip and pop corn, but that's about all I've had at other Embassy's recently. We had a very pleasant stay. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

At least you were not at the Hilton Marina. We started our stay there and it was horrible...dirty, broken items in the rooms and bugs! I ended up getting a full refund and having a chat with the district manager after calling the Hilton Honors number.

This is one of the most read threads on the FL board...isn't it funny how we love to read negative posts!:D

It's a provocative subject title that draws attention. It reminds me another one that was perceived as negative when it really wasn't.

The moral of the story is never underestimate tribal mentality.

Wow, this is my sentiment also.

Stayed their pre cruise in Dec and wasnt impressed, room wasnt cheap either.

The room was okish but the pull out sofa had blood on the matress. Didnt notice until quite late.

The reception was nothing to speak of, though location to the shops was a plus. I am cruising again in Nov and want to stay somewhere else i think.

Overall the reception was nothing special and no variety of drinks.

After reading the rave reviews of Embassy Suites I almost changed my free room at the Holiday Inn Express (booked with points) to the paid room of $135.00 at ES.

Now reading these posts I'm glad I didn't. At least if the Holiday Inn Express doesn't live up to my standards I know I didn't spend any money on it. :)

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with ES. We will be staying there next month. How was the complimentary breakfast? Any good? How about crowds on cruise days? Any tips or room suggestions?

Thanks

We thought the breakfast was terrific. Many choices and everything was fresh and good. My tip would be to go to the port between 9:30 and 10:00. After that everyone is trying to leave and it's tough to get valet service to help with your luggage.

Wow, this is my sentiment also.

Stayed their pre cruise in Dec and wasnt impressed, room wasnt cheap either.

The room was okish but the pull out sofa had blood on the matress. Didnt notice until quite late.

The reception was nothing to speak of, though location to the shops was a plus. I am cruising again in Nov and want to stay somewhere else i think.

Overall the reception was nothing special and no variety of drinks.

My thoughts exactly. (ewwwee on that mattress comment) My hubby reminded me that we found a pair of men's used underwear in the bathroom on the floor? :eek: But there were bigger issues than that.

Until we stayed elsewhere, we didn't realize how unimpressive it really was. I think our last stay was 3 years ago. It really helped to try other hotels in the area. There are some great hotels especially along the strip and you can walk everywhere. A very fun area! The same for cruising: it helped to try a new cruise line to have a comparison.

I guess it doesn't take much to please us because we loved the Embassy.

Stayed there pre cruise last Dec. and will be doing it again this December.

Our room was perfect, clean, no problems. The reception was really crowded and they were giving people two drinks at a time, pp. because the line was so long. That was a first .

I really don't know what more we could have wanted. Breakfast was nice, continental and cooked to order. Location was great.

We thought the breakfast was terrific. Many choices and everything was fresh and good. My tip would be to go to the port between 9:30 and 10:00. After that everyone is trying to leave and it's tough to get valet service to help with your luggage.

:eek::eek::eek:

9:30 or 10:00? I thought people would still be disembarking at that time? Also I had a tough time convincing my car service to pick us up at 10AM because he thought passengers would still be coming off the ship.

Maybe I can get the bellboys to take my bags down early and hold them until the car comes.

Thanks for the info.

Archived