Advice on Rome diy please

Suebiker

Hi - we are going on Ventura in May and are considering going to Rome for the first time. We were considering going on the Train which appears to be quite straightforward. We were then considering using the hop on hop off buses. We do not want to do a full day in Rome and mainly would like to see the Colusseum and Ancient Rome. I am wondering how far is the Train Station to the Colusseum - could we walk it or would the hop on bus be a better idea. Also wondering how busy do the hop on and off buses get ? Is it easy to get back on the buses or are they generally full and difficult to reboard?

Any other suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated,

Many thanks

Sue

Here's a link to a blog entry I did in 2010 about getting up to Rome on your own from Civitevecchia.

As for getting to the Colosseum from Termini, the Metro is your friend: two stops on the Blue line will take you to the Colosseo stop, which is by the Colosseum (Colosseo is the Italian name for Colosseum). If you get a BIRG ticket (do a Google search to learn what that is) at Civitavecchia, it will be valid on the metro as well.

You can walk from the the Termini to the Colosseum (we stayed near the Termini and did walk it). It takes about 30 minutes and there are a couple of nice spots on the way.

In fact we walked everywhere even over to St Mark's Square. It was a good walk but really pleasant along the banks of the Tiber.

After our stay in Rome we took the train to the port which was so easy. You can book your train tickets online months before at Trentalia (very cheap), we even booked our seats. Once we boarded there were only one other couple in the car and we had plenty of space to spread out. It's an easy walk from the station to the port, along the sea front.

Don't miss Rome. It's a very special place.

This was one of my favourite places to visit of all time. Very easy to do ;) as already stated.

You will probably find you are blown away with it and wont want to leave. We spent a good 6/7 hours there and were rushing to fit everything in. Enjoy :D

As others say it is easily done yourself by train - one word of warning though don't be caught out by the size of Termini station when you return - it is a long walk from the entrance to the correct platform for the return journey.

Hi Suebiker are you on the 4th May sailing? we are and I believe that there is a fast track express train we are thinking of doing this. Just google smartcruise tours it is on there I have no experience of this but they are on Trip Adviser.

Hi - just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to post replies. It is much appreciated and very helpful. It's good to know that you can walk from the Station to the Colusseum. Although my DH has problems walking long distances and 30mins walk before we start may not be a good idea, so we may have to use The Metro instead. Tbh this is why we don't want to do a tour ( all the tours seem to be 9 hours plus) So we thought if we could go in on our own we can take it at our own pace and have the option of coming back early if we need to.

Thanks Tom for the "blog" - very interesting and the info on the "BIRG" ticket was great. One quick question however - do you validate your ticket in the station at Civitacevecia or do you do it when you get to Rome?

Thanks Radders for the info on Smartours - I will look into it .I guess the only problem with pre-booking is if the itinery changes. We had this a couple of years ago when they changed our itinery so it was back to front. So every port was on a different day to the original!!!!! It was changed very last minute too - so something to consider if you are going to prebook. Not sure whether the tour company will change your tickets if this happens - I will have to check it out!

Oh and yes we are going out on the 4th of May too - can't wait now!!!

Many thanks again

Sue

Sorry to jump in here...but you validate your tickets at the start of your journey .there is a yellow machine on the wall of the ticket hall in civitavecchia. just before you go onto the patform.

The fare this year was 12 euros per person return including Metro and buses (not hop on hop off) bought on the day :)

Sorry to jump in here...but you validate your tickets at the start of your journey .there is a yellow machine on the wall of the ticket hall in civitavecchia. just before you go onto the patform.

The fare this year was 12 euros per person return including Metro and buses (not hop on hop off) bought on the day :)

Cheer thanks for that Jenny

We did this 6 months ago and had a wonderful day. The next time we go to Rome, I will make sure that I take with us the most detailed map of Rome that I can find. It is very easy to find yourself in little lanes which do not show on lesser maps and hence get lost :D. Good fun perhaps, but a little frustrating when you are trying to get to somewhere and do not know where you are on your map.

Barry

If you have never been to Rome before it is perhaps pertinent to warn you to be appropriately dressed if you intend to visit the Vatican and other religious sites. The general rule is that shoulders and knees must be covered, this applies to both sexes. That means no shorts or short skirts, muscle vests or sleeveless dresses. Many places including St Peters have men on the door enforcing this and if you are not respectfully dressed you will be refused entry. It would be a pity to visit Rome and then miss out on some of the places you wish to visit because of your attire.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting to Rome from Port is easy - Search on forum for directions.

Once you get to Train Station in Rome be careful, It's huge and you can easily be wondering around trying to find main entrance. Follow the hords of others to find way out.

When you get to the main entrance there are many toats selling the bus tours. Just find the cheapest (we used the Green bus tours). had to follow the gent to the office (Over the road) to get the tickets and cost 18 Euro each. You can hop on and hop off whenever you want to and they seems to come every 20 mins or so. Lots of stops from the Col, Spanish steps, trivani fountains etc etc. Some of the buses are English speaking and some arn't. Make sure you get the right one.

Wonderful day spent in Rome. However, we did leave the ship early (about 7:30am) and got to Rome by 9am.

We have done Rome DIY by train twice with our children and it really is easy. You will find a fair few fellow passengers heading the same way. The first time we went we wanted to see the Coliseum first and I copy this advice we took and followed from the Ports forum of this site.

"Don't go to Termini that adds at least 15 minutes to your trip. Get off at Ostiense and take the blue metro line two stops northbound to the Coliseum.

An hour may or may not be enough at the Coliseum, depending on how long it takes to get your ticket and get in. The audio guide tour takes about an hour if you stop and listen to each item.

if the line for tickets at the Coliseum looks long, just walk down the street (opposite direction from the Metro station) to the Palatine Hill ticket office and buy your ticket there. It's usually much less crowded."

We followed this advice and it was easier than heading into Termini. From the Coliseum we took the metro to St Peters and then headed back to port from the San. Pietro station. Do take a good city map with you. Check out all the advice on Rome in the ports section of this site. Don't get the last train back and you will have a great day in Rome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We did Rome DIY twice last year, once in May on our own and then in July with our kids. Beware that the trains can be packed, we did not get a seat in May on the way to Rome, just managed to get three seats in July and stood the majority of the way home both trips until people got off and we managed to get seats. The trains were very hot. We got on at St Peter's for the trip home and it probably would have been best to get on at Termini to increase chances of getting a seat.

Like you we choose to DIY because all the trips were so long. We got a train around 9am and got a train back about 3pm. With a break for lunch this was long enough. We also saved a fortune! Do check in advance if there is the possibility of any train strikes.

The walk from the port where the bus drops you off to the station is about 10mins walk.

You can walk from the the Termini to the Colosseum (we stayed near the Termini and did walk it). It takes about 30 minutes and there are a couple of nice spots on the way.

In fact we walked everywhere even over to St Mark's Square. It was a good walk

and a bl**dy long one. St Mark's square is in Venice!

Hi

We did Rome DIY twice last year, once in May on our own and then in July with our kids. Beware that the trains can be packed, we did not get a seat in May on the way to Rome, just managed to get three seats in July and stood the majority of the way home both trips until people got off and we managed to get seats. The trains were very hot. We got on at St Peter's for the trip home and it probably would have been best to get on at Termini to increase chances of getting a seat.

Like you we choose to DIY because all the trips were so long. We got a train around 9am and got a train back about 3pm. With a break for lunch this was long enough. We also saved a fortune! Do check in advance if there is the possibility of any train strikes.

The walk from the port where the bus drops you off to the station is about 10mins walk.

As others have said, it is quite easy to get to Rome on the train and use your ticket for the Metro too.

But this point about where you join the train for the return journey is certainly worth noting. We went to S Pietro aound 2.30 and by the time the train arrived here it was packed! (There are two or three stops between the Termini where it originates and S Pietro). I never thought we had a chance of gettting on but the pushing from behind propelled us forward until you had little option but to try to board. It was something like a Guinness Book of Records for how many people you could cram into a railway carriage!

I was quite unnerved by it not least of all because I lost contact with the rest of my party. I managed to squeeze through and up the steps to the upper level where it wasn't quite so crowded although there were no seats of course - but had no idea whether my Dh and friends had got on! I tried texting after the train had started to see where they were but their arms were so tightly pinned to their sides they couldn't extract their phones to reply! Our friend's back was repeatedly pushed by an employee to allow the doors to shut! We were eventually reunited!

We were able to laugh about it afterwards and the tale has entered our bank of 'cruise' stories but it wasn't a good experience! We hadn't had such an experience before when doing this journey - many high school students were on the train and didn't get off until Civitavecchia - so perhaps that's what made the difference.

But the underlying advice from me is to endorse the message of where go to catch the train - do go to the Termini to pick up the return - it will give you the best opportunity of getting on as well as getting a seat.

But it is a wonderful city to visit.

Hi have a great time in Rome but be aware of pickpockets they are everywhere,if it happens to you go to a police station and they will give you the telephone number to ring and report it if they have taken your credit/debit cards,we also take a small encapsulated copy of our passports and leave the original on the ship.

Have a look at this website:

There is a special tourist train, buy your tickets OUTSIDE the port area, there are some booths on the right hand side as you exit port on way to railway station

Finally a faster, more comfortable way to get to Rome for those visiting the eternal city on a day excursion from the port of Civitavecchia (€16.50 round trip -.

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/faqs

I don't know if we were just unlucky but the first time we visited Rome the Colluseum was closed "due to technical difficulties"......you wouldn't believe it would you. The second time we got to the Colluseum only to find it didn't open until the afternoon - this was on a Saturday, I don't know if that's always the case. It might be best to check on-line before you go. A tip that was given to us by a crew member on the ship was: in order to avoid the long line for tickets at the Colluseum, get your ticket from the Forum as it is valid for both......I'm sure it's a very good tip if the Colluseum is actually open lol - but it looks great from the outside.

Have a great time

Gill

HI everyone - thank you all for all your help. It has been really useful . After much deliberation we have decided to book a ships tour. Which is Rome on your own. DH was somewhat concerned when he heard how busy the trains get and would probably struggle with his breathing if it was really hot . Not being able to sit the whole journey would be awfull if his breathing was bad and he would probably be exhausted before we even got there! So we decided to go on this tour - at least the coach is air conditioned and we have a seat!!!!!

Anyway I now need your help again. I believe it is best to pre book entry into the Colluseum to miss the queue. Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy these tickets. We are also wondering about getting a guided tour, or can you get an audio guide(headset) at the entrance? Would you need to prebook a headset if this is the case?

Many thanks

Sue

HI everyone - thank you all for all your help. It has been really useful . After much deliberation we have decided to book a ships tour. Which is Rome on your own. DH was somewhat concerned when he heard how busy the trains get and would probably struggle with his breathing if it was really hot . Not being able to sit the whole journey would be awfull if his breathing was bad and he would probably be exhausted before we even got there! So we decided to go on this tour - at least the coach is air conditioned and we have a seat!!!!!

Anyway I now need your help again. I believe it is best to pre book entry into the Colluseum to miss the queue. Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy these tickets. We are also wondering about getting a guided tour, or can you get an audio guide(headset) at the entrance? Would you need to prebook a headset if this is the case?

Many thanks

Sue

Sue

I believe that you have done the right thing by booking a ship's tour -- but also believe that you have booked the wrong one! :p We recently did the "Rome on your own" excursion (with Cunard) - and we had a wonderful day. It was certainly a big weight off our minds that we could "do our own thing" and all we had to do was get back in time to our appointed bus stop place.

We chose the "Rome on your own" option - because we had been to Rome before on a Coach Tour and had seen all the "famous" places , so this time we only wanted to wander around (especially alongside the Tiber River) and get lost (which we did several times :)) Rome is now officially my favorite City of the World :)

BUT!!!! -- this is your first time to Rome and you have issues with walking (or your husband does?) Rome is a HUGE city with LOTS of wonderful things to see. The bus will probably drop you off close by to the Vatican -- from where it is a 3.4 klm (2.1 miles) walk to the Colliseum. Both the Vatican and the Colliseum are VERY popular, with usually long queues for private visitors ( ie not organised tours) and are only TWO of the MUST SEE places of Rome.

My advice to you for this occasion is to grit your teeth and pay the money for a proper organised ship's tour. Yes - they are usually long and tiring -- BUT you have a bus to sit in as they take you from place to place and you can spend as long or as little as you want at each destination. Plus these organised tours usually go straight into the site without having to queue.

Rome is such a WONDERFUL place - and this is your first (and maybe only? time)

Barry

Sue

I believe that you have done the right thing by booking a ship's tour -- but also believe that you have booked the wrong one! :p We recently did the "Rome on your own" excursion (with Cunard) - and we had a wonderful day. It was certainly a big weight off our minds that we could "do our own thing" and all we had to do was get back in time to our appointed bus stop place.

We chose the "Rome on your own" option - because we had been to Rome before on a Coach Tour and had seen all the "famous" places , so this time we only wanted to wander around (especially alongside the Tiber River) and get lost (which we did several times :)) Rome is now officially my favorite City of the World :)

BUT!!!! -- this is your first time to Rome and you have issues with walking (or your husband does?) Rome is a HUGE city with LOTS of wonderful things to see. The bus will probably drop you off close by to the Vatican -- from where it is a 3.4 klm (2.1 miles) walk to the Colliseum. Both the Vatican and the Colliseum are VERY popular, with usually long queues for private visitors ( ie not organised tours) and are only TWO of the MUST SEE places of Rome.

My advice to you for this occasion is to grit your teeth and pay the money for a proper organised ship's tour. Yes - they are usually long and tiring -- BUT you have a bus to sit in as they take you from place to place and you can spend as long or as little as you want at each destination. Plus these organised tours usually go straight into the site without having to queue.

Rome is such a WONDERFUL place - and this is your first (and maybe only? time)

Barry

Hi Thanks for the info Barry. The tour that we have booked is a ships tour and seems to be the only suitable tour for us. I must admit I hadn't realised quite how far it would be to the Colosseum - so maybe I will have to look into transport - metro, bus , taxi etc.

The main issue with the ships tours is that they are very long and gruelling. Most tours state that there is a large amount of walking involved which is a no no - especially as many tour guides storm off at a rate of knots!!!!! I thought at least on the Rome on your own tour we can go at our own rate, stop as and when we need to. The tours also seem to try to pack as much as possible into the day and many do not go inside the Colosseum . I have often found on tours that this means you have a whistlestop tour and never have enough time to see anything properly. Tbh I am only really interested in seeing Ancient Rome on this trip and then perhaps we can visit other places on another occasion. The easiest way would be on the train as it is not far to the Collosseum from the station but having read other posts the trains can be a nightmare!!!!!

Anyway any further suggestions would be very welcome

Thanks

Sue

I have been on a guided ships tour to Rome and there is a lot of walking involved. Rome on your own sounds like a good excursion which takes care of all the hassle of getting to and from the city.

I suggest you check out the options for using the local transport such as Metro which would cut out a lot of the walking.

When visiting Rome again next year i will be taking the Rome on your own excursion:)

I have been on a guided ships tour to Rome and there is a lot of walking involved. Rome on your own sounds like a good excursion which takes care of all the hassle of getting to and from the city.

I suggest you check out the options for using the local transport such as Metro which would cut out a lot of the walking.

When visiting Rome again next year i will be taking the Rome on your own excursion:)

Thanks Dave

That confirms what I thought - I will have to look into public transport or taxi's.

Many thanks

Sue

Archived