Triumph pax: "SURVIVORS"???

Amy Giard

Were you on that ship? Did you live through that? If not you really do not have the knowledge of what it was like to be in those conditions. Yes, they may be home save and sound now but none thel less the did "survive" that so called vacation... and btw if Carnival can tender pax from the ship to ports safely they should have been able to get those people off of that ship and saved them the nightmare!!!!

For the prayers. I can tell you that it was a very scary experience at first, knowing there was a fire and not knowing the extent of the damage, etc. however, I do not consider myself a "survivor", I consider myself a passenger who happened to be on a ship that had issues and lost power. Just as if I had been in my car and got a flat tire or something. You just deal with it. One thing at a time.

Some of the other guests made life worse for everyone else by spending all of their time and energy gathering "evidence" and announcing how they will "own" Carnival after this, etc. Really?. Use your powers for good, not evil.

We got home to Dallas about 2:30 am Saturday. If anyone has any questions about the trip just let me know.

Debbie

You have a great attitude. By the way, I see your CC name is "semichigan", but you live in Texas. Were you originally from SE Michigan?

sur·vi·vor

/sərˈvīvər/

Noun

1.A person who survives, esp. a person remaining alive after an event in which others have died: "the sole survivor of the massacre".

=============================

We can argue semantics all night, but I think most

reasonable people would agree the connotation

of the word "survivor" in this context implies that some did not survive.

Sorry don't get it. No one needs to die to be a Survivor. Even watching 25 seasons of the show, never thought someone was going to die.

But did think of the shows premise when this all went down, right down to "building shelter". They already had fire.

Sorry don't get it. No one needs to die to be a Survivor. Even watching 25 seasons of the show, never thought someone was going to die.

But did think of the shows premise when this all went down, right down to "building shelter". They already had fire.

To be fair, (and i realize this is all semantics) in the show Survivor each loser undergoes a symbolic "death" as their torch is extinguished until there is one survivor remaining.

To be fair, (and i realize this is all semantics) in the show Survivor each loser undergoes a symbolic "death" as their torch is extinguished until there is one survivor remaining.

True. On that show, fire means life. If you're out, your torch get snuffed.

On this show, the fire got snuffed as well.

True. On that show, fire means life. If you're out, your torch get snuffed.

On this show, the fire got snuffed as well.

Hehe, true enough. :D

I'm not one to diminish what these people went through (I most definitely would NOT want to have been aboard, and the people claiming otherwise are either crazy or lying), but to me the word "survivor" implies something that didn't happen aboard.

Were you on that ship? Did you live through that? If not you really do not have the knowledge of what it was like to be in those conditions. Yes, they may be home save and sound now but none thel less the did "survive" that so called vacation... and btw if Carnival can tender pax from the ship to ports safely they should have been able to get those people off of that ship and saved them the nightmare!!!!

Good grief..when will it end....

To get on a "lighter" note, looking at all the pictures from the passengers and whomever else, my favorite photo was the one with the young lady holding up the sign reading "I Miss my Cat". That was really cute and made me laugh. I want all of the passengers (and crew) from Triumph to know that I said a prayer for them all to make it back home safely. Take care.

She should get the papers signed to have the cat as her "emotional therapy" animal. Next time, Carnival will let her bring the cat with her.

I wonder why anyone would be concerned with what the media were calling those who were on that cruise or labeling the cruise as a "tragedy." How does this choice of words diminish the quality of your life or even your cruising experiences? Rhetorically, in the overall scheme of things, why does it matter?

If one were only to read the boards, it would seem that there is more angst emanating from those not on the cruise as opposed to those who actually experienced it.

Yup - several news outlets have been

calling the Triumph pax "survivors".

Am I missing something? How can you

have "survivors" when no one actually

"perished "???

Because most Americans grasp of the term "Survivor" comes from a TV show of the same name thats really just a popularity contest.

Lol - Edited to add- I am way late to that comparison it seems lol

Round and round we go!!!!

Tendering into a port is a risky operation at the best of times under the best conditions. Many times it has to be stopped because the sea conditions are unsafe...too much bobing up and down...and passengers are liable to suffer an injury.

Following your theory, if the more than 3000 plus passengers were tendered (more likely off loaded), you would need an empty ship. There simply are no empty cruise ships lying about. If you tried to tender them to Mexico, they would have been worse off with not having enough facilities for everyone. If you tendered them to another Carnival ship that was in the vicinity, now you have created a problem with overloading on the second Carnival ship without enough life boats for everyone, not enough accommodations for everyone.

Unless conditions are so severe on board a ship, meaning a ranging fire or explosions, evacuation is the last thing you would want to do. This is how passengers get injured or panic and suffer heart attacks, etc. you are safer remaining on board awaiting rescue as in this case, being towed. Believe it or not, many passengers do not know how to swim and would fear sharks in the water and start to panic creating more problems for everyone.

MARAPRINCE

Archived