Big Al's 3 Night Valentine's Day Cruise on Allure

big al

Let me first say we all had a great time on the amazing Allure Of The Seas for a special 3 night Valentine's Day cruise 2/14-17. I usually give my wife an option of Ruth Chris, Capital Grille, or Arby's , but this time I included this special sailing on the Allure, and that 's what she chose. We went with another couple, our good friends Bill & Melanie. It was their 2nd cruise, and for us, our 28th cruise overall, 12th on Royal ( Diamond ). I had cruised on the Oasis in Jan '10, so I was familiar with the ship. For Bill & Melanie, they had cruised with us on the Navigator Of The Seas in '08, so this was their 1st time on an Oasis class ship.

I want to mention that what you will read are my observations & opinions, which is what I always try to express. Food & entertainment are VERY subjective, service perhaps a little less subjective. What was NOT subjective was the weather...in my 28 cruises, this was the WORST 3 straight days I've ever experienced. We literally had 3 straight days of rain & clouds from drizzle to downpours. Saying I wasn't dissappointed with the weather would be lying, but RCI cannot control the weather. The Oceanaria show ( diving show in the Boardwalk area) was cancelled Thurs & Fri, and FINALLY went on Saturday at 4:30 and again at 7:30 PM ,both in a slight drizzle. I commend RCI for doing their best to try and get this AMAZING show on...and they didn't dissappoint! Don't miss this spectacular show of diving, aqua acrobatics & adventure.Some people don't like going to shows ..they say ,"it's not my thing"...well, go to this and if you're NOT impressed, then perhaps an MRI should be your thing ...what these young people do while the ship is moving and the wind is blowing is simply awesome and borderline insanity...

The Allure looked great- she was clean and everyone was friendly. We got on fast, thanks to my Diamond status and went right to the Park Cafe for some roast beef sandwiches & salads. Despite some recent negative/ mediocre posts on the sandwiches being "tough" or "overrated", we all found the sandwiches quite yummy. Off to our cabins, D5's #'s 7208 & 7210. The cabin was spotless. We met our Stateroom attendant, Blanca from Poland, and IMO, she may have been THEE best cabin steward we've ever had. Blanca was so sweet and anything & everything we asked for ( extra towels, ice, Cruise Compass in Spanish for my wife,etc.) it was done IMMEDIATELY. She had a smile on her face everytime we saw her and always asked how our day, dinner, show,etc., was going. She handles cabins 7200-7218 on the PORT side. If you want a great cabin steward, and you want to be on deck 7 port side, get one of these cabin numbers, you will be very glad you did. We miss her already!

We had a Sail Away party at 3 PM at the Sky Bar on deck 16 and I finally met some people I had been conversing with for months on the CC Roll Call boards. I met Jordan ( Borat ) and his girlfriend, who was on her 1st cruise,Joy & Andy (Derorim), Lisa & Jon ( ottocal), also bjcrazn & dd, and Tammy as well..if I missed some other names, I apologize. Everyone was so nice.Oh, there was a nice couple from Detroit, whom Bill & Melanie talked a bit with, I forget their names, but they came around as well...

We ate in the MDR twice ( MTD) at 6:45 PM, deck 5, table 706. Simon, from India, was our waiter .He was very sweet & kind, and very attentive. He gets a thumbs up from Big Al! I had Prime Rib that 1st night with Shrimp Cocktail as the starter ( Hello Roy!). Others had the same,or fish. No esgargots, which was a dissappointment. I've waited YEARS for RCI to have escargots on the menu, they FINALLY put in on the menu, and now there's apparently a worldwide shortage of escargots..on the 2nd night we ate in the MDR, I had a strip steak,which seemed more like small filet, though not as tender. It was OK, not great, not bad. The bay scallops,substituting for the escargots though, were quite yummy. Key Lime Pie for dessert was also quite good.

On the 2nd night ( Fri), which was formal night, we ate at Chops. We've eaten there maybe a total of 15 times on all our RCI cruises, and this ranks among the top 3, along with our last cruise on the Liberty last November. Ou waiter, from India, was terrific. It was raining, so getting to Chops on Central Park was wet ...I will say that this was both the fullest and NOISIEST Chops venue I've ever been to. It was darker and more cozy than other ships.. Very loud crowd, which thankfully didn't negatively influence our food or the great time we had there.We started with some appetizers like crab cakes, which Melanie said was THEE best she had ever had anywhere ( I agree...don't miss if you like crab cakes) I had the NY Strip, Melanie had the Pork Chops, and Bill had the Porterhouse, my wife had the NY Strip. I will say the roasted potatoes with prosciutto were to DIE for and the mashed potatoes were great as well along with creamed asparagus. The bread was an onion sourdough loaf, very warm & tasty. I had the red velvet cake which was very good, but by that time we were all quite full. I've always said the side dishes at Chops are the BEST thing they have and we shared about 5 dishes..some at our table ordered THREE appetizers at once!! The nerve of someone ( who will remain nameless) ordering all those extra calories just because they sounded and IN FACT were delicious is OUTRAGEOUS!! It was wonderful.......

We also attended Ice Games, the ice show. I thought it was good, but the ones on Oasis & recently on the Liberty I thought were better. The skaters were great, music not as great as other shows. Couple with the rings were great. I did not see Chicago, but my wife went with Melanie and they said the show was very good, but FREEZING!! Coldest they have EVER been in a theatre they said .We also saw the Headliner show, who was Paul Boland, an impressionist singer & entertainer on Sat night. He was very good, although I thought some of his impressions were not right on ( Elvis, Stevie Wonder,a few more..), others like Louis Armstrong, BeeGees, Elton, Travolta were good...

We got off at Nassau and walked around Bay St., the main drag. Bought a few t-shirts..The Bahamians were out & about as you got near the terminal entrance with their "what are you going to do today" questions. Not as bad as my 12 other trips here. Just keep walking. We got off around 9:15 AM and stayed till noon, then headed back just as it started raining again ( it was almost partly sunny in the morning, then just a bit cloudy)...lunch was pizza at Sorrento's & sandwiches at the Cafe Promenade. Both quite good as always. I will say once again RCI has soooo many problems with their draft beer. Every bar had their draft beer broken.Every BAR! The bartenders all admitted they have a problem on Royal ships with their draft beer. Why is it so difficult to get the draft beer fixed? Obviously I know it's not a priority, but I would LOVE to cruise on ONE RCI ship that has ALL their draft beers in EVERY bar working.NCL, Disney, and even Carnival have 4-5 different drafts that all work. RCI has maybe 3 ( in some bars, most have 1 or 2), and 90% are broken. Please Mr. Fain & Goldstein, try & fix this..

Some final thoughts & points: A few venues were short in help: Vintages, where we waited 10 minutes to order wine, then finally walked out because we had to go to a show; the Guest Services phone line NEVER answered ( I called 4-5 times to ask questions) ; Starbucks needs a few more people in there -always 5-6 people on line.. also we could not get into many lounges quite often: the Viking Crown Lounge was rented for a private function the 1st night..Dazzles was almost closed to the public the entire time except the last night, when we couldn't go. I know people have the right to rent out public rooms for parties, weddings,etc., but it was still frustrating. James Brown, a singer in the Bow & Stern British Pub, was both funny and very good- nice variety of songs from James Taylor to the Eagles, to Del Shannon, to Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. He came to our table and chatted with Bill for a while mostly about guitars and cruise life. He is from Canada. Go see him...the Sweet Caroline sing-along was a blast...also Capt. Johnny gave a terrific speech & intro imitating a Romanian duo that did amazing acrobatic feats of strength (earlier in the show) with his first officer..it was hilarious..this was at the Crown & Anchor party for past guests in the Aqua Theater..The Allure was great, but 3 nights is just not enough to see & do everything the Allure has to offer. I hope RCI considers doing 4 & 5 night cruises once in a while on Oasis size ships ( Though I think the Liberty is GREAT for that!!). At least there would be more time to see more. Better yet Mr. Fain & Goldstein, why not make your new 3rd Oasis class ship do 4 & 5 night cruises all year long from Port Everglades and include Labadee,CoCo Cay, and/ or Cozumel ...it beats Nassau and one day at sea anytime!!! Any questions fire away..back to 1750 calories a day, down from 8000 and no CUPCAKES ( yes, Roy, I had them!!) for at least 24 hours..one must have some discipline...Cheers to Blanca,Simon, Cruise Critic members,James Brown ( and yes, "I FEEL GOOD!"), Capt. Johnny, and the entire Allure crew for making this a memorable Valentine's Day celebration!!!

Big Al

Love your review. It is so calm and reasoned. It makes no dramatic statements about "cruise from hell" or "best cruise in fifty cruises" etc.

I agree with yoru great idea to have Oasis III do four and five night cruises like Liberty of the Seas. That is an attractive idea. I would definitely buy into that, because we can so seldom get away for an entire week, except on rare occasions. I'm sure many passengers would cruise on Oasis and Allure but can't because they can't take a week off including travel to Fort Lauderdale.

I agree that the ice show on Liberty is superior to the one on Allure, both musically and for pace and theme. We do enjoy Chicago very much and the dive show on Allure is even better than the already spectacular one on Oasis.

It is a pity about the draft beer situation and, yes, there is no excuse for that. My son's main complaint rhymes with yours but is slightly different. He wants more CRAFT beer on Royal ships. He wishes they had a craft beer bar and hopes Oasis III will have one. (Good luck on that.)

Next time on Allure, I hope we get your Polish room steward. Your Indian waiter Simon sounds so familiar, I think we may have had him in the past.

We considered doing the short cruise you took, but given the bad weather maybe it is just as well that we passed. But our weather was just as bad here in South Florida. At least you had the benefit of being on a fabulous ship.

Love your review. It is so calm and reasoned. It makes no dramatic statements about "cruise from hell" or "best cruise in fifty cruises" etc.

I agree with yoru great idea to have Oasis III do four and five night cruises like Liberty of the Seas. That is an attractive idea. I would definitely buy into that, because we can so seldom get away for an entire week, except on rare occasions. I'm sure many passengers would cruise on Oasis and Allure but can't because they can't take a week off including travel to Fort Lauderdale.

I agree that the ice show on Liberty is superior to the one on Allure, both musically and for pace and theme. We do enjoy Chicago very much and the dive show on Allure is even better than the already spectacular one on Oasis.

It is a pity about the draft beer situation and, yes, there is no excuse for that. My son's main complaint rhymes with yours but is slightly different. He wants more CRAFT beer on Royal ships. He wishes they had a craft beer bar and hopes Oasis III will have one. (Good luck on that.)

Next time on Allure, I hope we get your Polish room steward. Your Indian waiter Simon sounds so familiar, I think we may have had him in the past.

We considered doing the short cruise you took, but given the bad weather maybe it is just as well that we passed. But our weather was just as bad here in South Florida. At least you had the benefit of being on a fabulous ship.

Gangway Style: I echo your son's wishes..I too, love craft beer..no Bud or Coors Light for Big Al..I would settle for just Sam Adams..they had Stella, German wheat beer, and the Pub had Boddington's Pub Ale, a British beer, but that was broken..also Beck's was in a few places...I would love to also see Sierra Nevada ( Disney has that!) and the British Pub did have 50 or so beers IN BOTTLES, but only 2 on draft..thanks for kind words!!

Alan

My husband and I were on this cruise also and had a wonderful time. We have been on the Oasis too, and most recently on the Freedom.

The Internet was the best unlimited and quick connection. The last night the seas were very rough and I thought the announcements were excessive.

We also saw some women being asked to leave the ship when we were int the Bahamas since they lit a candle in their room.

I thought the service were good not excellent like other cruises and the ship was in great shape.

Overall I would give this cruise a A-, I feel not burning need to go back on the Allure. And you are lucky if the weather was the worst you have ever had, I have numerous cruise were is rained everyday.

Al great review, as always!!! I agree with the notion that 3 or days is not enough to really get to know all the venues on the ship. But 7 days is still not enough, at least for us, we didn´t get to experience the Oasis in its entirety, but it was a wonderful experience.

Thanks for the review!!

Hi Big Al! Awesome, witty, and well-balanced review, as always! Glad you enjoyed Allure. We sailed her in Aug 2012, and had a similar experience.

Hi Donna!! Nice hearing from you and thanks for the nice words...now we have nothing planned till the Disney Dream in Nov for my b'day....long wait between vacations!!! Didn't we have Capt Johnny when we were on the MOS when I met you in '07? He's so funny!!

Alan

Al great review, as always!!! I agree with the notion that 3 or days is not enough to really get to know all the venues on the ship. But 7 days is still not enough, at least for us, we didn´t get to experience the Oasis in its entirety, but it was a wonderful experience.

Thanks for the review!!

Hi Luis! How are you & Anna? When are you going on that cruise with your Dad? Thanks for the nice words....

Alan

My husband and I were on this cruise also and had a wonderful time. We have been on the Oasis too, and most recently on the Freedom.

The Internet was the best unlimited and quick connection. The last night the seas were very rough and I thought the announcements were excessive.

We also saw some women being asked to leave the ship when we were int the Bahamas since they lit a candle in their room.

I thought the service were good not excellent like other cruises and the ship was in great shape.

Overall I would give this cruise a A-, I feel not burning need to go back on the Allure. And you are lucky if the weather was the worst you have ever had, I have numerous cruise were is rained everyday.

Love the Freedom & Liberty...great ships..thanks for the imput!!

Big Al

I too was on this cruise. I was also on the inaugural Allure 3 night sailing when they offered every single show they offer on the 7 night and we saw each and every one and were looking forward to seeing some of them again. So needless to say we were extremely disappointed that they did not show Blue Planet and we had one of the six Oceanaria that had been canceled. I understand why they cancelled the first six shows due to rain, or potential rain, but then they showed that 4:30 show in drizzle and rain anyway. I think they should have just put a show on during the Nassau morning when the sun was shining. It was inevitable that by 4:30 it would be pouring again.

Granted it was a pretty miserable cruise with three days of heavy rain. We found things very crowded, Guest relations lines were insane, the Windjammer was always crowded and we weren't able to get a reservation in the specialty resturants.

We also didn't care for the interruption annoucements into the cabins the early moring on a sea day (before 8 am) and the last night after 1 am. If you wake me up, tell me why. Curiosity is killing me.

Interesting about the woman who lit a candle. I wish they would have gone after the folks on the boardwalk balcony smoking. We had four cabins across from us, opening smoking the whole time and even flicking ashes over the side as they stood there overlooking the boardwalk. Flicking ashes, yup, we saw it. We cruise alot, we found so many passengers on this cruise extremely rude. Maybe people were out of sorts due to the weather. AT least that is what I attributed it to. I think it made people drink a lot more.

Melanie just e-mailed me regarding the names of our 2 waiters...I want to give credit where credit is due..our waiter in the MDR was Boney M, and Simon was in Chops, both from India..both were soooo good!!!!

Also I want to tell you all about a hidden gem on the Allure to watch the Oceanaria shows if you can't get a reservation for whatever reason ( didn't do it, got on too late,etc..)..on the 11th & 12th decks at the end of each hall, is a sitting area that has a MARVELOUS view of the stage in the Aqua Park. You must go to the very end, then make a quick right or left ( depending on if you're on the Port side ( left) or starboard side ( right facing the front) and open a glass door. There are both lounge chairs and straight up chairs...BE WARNED THOUGH: there are NO facilities or bars, etc.,so GO to the bathroom BEFORE and get your beverages before you go up. There were about 20-25 chairs on deck 11 and I understand deck 12 is a bit smaller...I got this tip from the "Middle-aged Drama Queen" review of the Allure, which is both hilarious and informative...the views up there are spectacular!!!

Big Al

I too was on this cruise. I was also on the inaugural Allure 3 night sailing when they offered every single show they offer on the 7 night and we saw each and every one and were looking forward to seeing some of them again. So needless to say we were extremely disappointed that they did not show Blue Planet and we had one of the six Oceanaria that had been canceled. I understand why they cancelled the first six shows due to rain, or potential rain, but then they showed that 4:30 show in drizzle and rain anyway. I think they should have just put a show on during the Nassau morning when the sun was shining. It was inevitable that by 4:30 it would be pouring again.

Granted it was a pretty miserable cruise with three days of heavy rain. We found things very crowded, Guest relations lines were insane, the Windjammer was always crowded and we weren't able to get a reservation in the specialty resturants.

We also didn't care for the interruption annoucements into the cabins the early moring on a sea day (before 8 am) and the last night after 1 am. If you wake me up, tell me why. Curiosity is killing me.

Interesting about the woman who lit a candle. I wish they would have gone after the folks on the boardwalk balcony smoking. We had four cabins across from us, opening smoking the whole time and even flicking ashes over the side as they stood there overlooking the boardwalk. Flicking ashes, yup, we saw it. We cruise alot, we found so many passengers on this cruise extremely rude. Maybe people were out of sorts due to the weather. AT least that is what I attributed it to. I think it made people drink a lot more.

Agree that flicking ashes is disgusting..I think there is a more "festive" or "partying" crowd on these short cruises, especially over a holiday like Valentine's...people seem to try and get 7 days of cruising & partying into 3..I also heard some of those interruptions early & late at night- have never heard that so late or early as this cruise. Also I think you are right regarding the weather made people stay indoors and drink more..lines were longer everywhere as you mentioned...I'm glad the 4 of us found ways to keep busy and not let the rain ruin our fun- but it certainly would've been great to see maybe ONE day of sun ( Friday, our sea day, would've been perfect!!).......

Alan

Alan, thanks for sharing your review. Sorry you had such crappy weather. I hope to sail the Allure someday...did you get to listen to Mega 4, the Caribbean band by the pool? They're great.

Nobody played at the pool because of the rain....everyone was inside....maybe next time...thanks for the heads up...

Alan

Big Al,

Great review. We have been on Allure 2 times in since October and had a great time as well. You are right 7 days are better than 3. Sorry your weather sucked, but it gives you a great reason to return.

Thanks for the review,

Andrew

That's what I had heard...can you imagine the $$ in renting the Allure for FOUR nights???? I wonder what credit card they used...LOL.....

Alan

Hey AL !

I confirmed with people at the bars and casino that both were closed for that 4 night Chick-fil-A charter.... bet that drove the charter cost up even more!! WOW!!

The dealer in the casino did indicate that he got a lot more sleep that sailing. I also understand that they had 4 days of beautiful weather! OH WELL!

I wonder if they served more chicken or beef that cruise? ! :D

Tom

Good to see your post and comments, Big Al! John & Debbie here (from meet & mingle this past November on the Liberty). Sorry to hear the weather was not so great, but she sure is a beautiful ship. Debbie and I are headed back to sail the Liberty the day after tomorrow with some friends & family and we're planning on booking a September Oasis sailing while on board.

Hope we get to join you again on a cruise some day soon!

Melanie just e-mailed me regarding the names of our 2 waiters...I want to give credit where credit is due..our waiter in the MDR was Boney M, and Simon was in Chops, both from India..both were soooo good!!!!

Also I want to tell you all about a hidden gem on the Allure to watch the Oceanaria shows if you can't get a reservation for whatever reason ( didn't do it, got on too late,etc..)..on the 11th & 12th decks at the end of each hall, is a sitting area that has a MARVELOUS view of the stage in the Aqua Park. You must go to the very end, then make a quick right or left ( depending on if you're on the Port side ( left) or starboard side ( right facing the front) and open a glass door. There are both lounge chairs and straight up chairs...BE WARNED THOUGH: there are NO facilities or bars, etc.,so GO to the bathroom BEFORE and get your beverages before you go up. There were about 20-25 chairs on deck 11 and I understand deck 12 is a bit smaller...I got this tip from the "Middle-aged Drama Queen" review of the Allure, which is both hilarious and informative...the views up there are spectacular!!!

Big Al

Hi Big Al,

Good review of the 3 day cruise. I was also on and I watched the 4:30 Ocean Aria show from deck 11 as well. Here are some pics from that view..

DSC_0135_zps7920cf86.jpg

DSC_0129_zpsc334fd4b.jpg

DSC_0121_zpsafe68f26.jpg

DSC_0120_zps170cb8af.jpg

DSC_0112_zpsb9fae20f.jpg

DSC_0108_zps70ff622b.jpg

No, she normally does 7 nighters leaving Sunday, doing alternate Eastern & Western Caribbean routes.....still not sure why this happened, but cool idea....

Big Al

Not sure which was the chicken or which was the egg, but Chick Fil a did a 4 day charter leaving three days open around valentines day, so I am assuming RC put the two ideas together. Watching the sailaway was interesting the weekend before the ship was full, but you could tell on the web came that people weren't the regular cruisers who knew where to be for sailaway or were the web came was.

Archived