The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

Where did I say my bill would be lower without it ? My wife and I did purchase it, we did save money, and only I hit the limit one day. And just so you are straight on things, I used my wife and I as an example only. But what I am saying is there will be people who will purchase the program, they will still save money, and they will still share. If for no other reason than because they feel like they need to get back at Carnival. Now lets forget about it being a husband an wife, lets just say it's you and a friend cruising together, your friend wants it but you don't. Being the good friend you are you purchase it so your friend can, maybe you'll save as well maybe you won't, but either way you might share. How about the previous poster going with her elderly parents, she will benefit from it, they won't. It's just not as cut n dry ad you think.

I used your example that you gave of you and your wife. Sorry. In that example you asked if we thought you would buy it and let it go to waste. I "assumed" (I know I know lol) thats what you actually meant. So my suggestion was not to buy it then if it doesnt work for you. I understand what you are saying now.

Maybe my original example was a poor one, since most husbands and wife's share a bank acct. the money comes from the same place. And I do understand why carnival does it the way the do, but I think it prevents some people from buying it when they want it. Such as the poster going with her parents, one of which has a health problem.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think the difference to the bottomless bubbles is the first word. You can get unlimited drinks. I have done booze cruises in the past. A large group and each person in the group had to buy the drink card but it was unlimited. With the Cheers program you are limited to 15 drinks I think that is a bit different. Even if you share you are not getting more than 15 drinks.

That's very true but how many people can literally drink 15 drinks a day, 7 days in a row, and not be falling down stupid? On my last two cruises, I've seen what 15 drinks a day can do to people. Not everyone goes on a cruise just to see how inebriated they can get. If sharing were allowed (or if only one person in a cabin could buy the card), my wife and I could easily get along (and get pretty sloshed) on a single card and still not come close to hitting the 15 drink a day limit.

Maybe my original example was a poor one, since most husbands and wife's share a bank acct. the money comes from the same place. And I do understand why carnival does it the way the do, but I think it prevents some people from buying it when they want it. Such as the poster going with her parents, one of which has a health problem.

I do understand what you are saying as well. I think for Carnival the problem becomes how and when to make an exception. Every conceivable time someone has what they think is a legitimate reason? I guess it was easier for them to simply say no exceptions. (plus their attempt to try to curb "sharing" of course :) I think it was done to simply subvert any and all doctor's notes, AA coins, etc that the customer would want to provide/offer in support of a reason not to buy it.

As another thought (totally off base possibly) I think possibly as well their policy also stems from their group bar cards policy that forces everyone in the group to buy it. They've had this policy for years. With no exceptions. So if it worked there...why not with this program too type of thinking maybe? We had a few non drinkers in our crowd on last group...they either couldnt book through the group booking or had to buy the card.

But it will definitely not work for everyone. I get that as well.

I understand their reasoning behind the policy, and yes it has to do with sharing ( stealing ). But that policy does not work as well you might think. Example, lets say my wife wants the cheers but I don't, but if she gets it I have to as well. Do you think I'm going to buy it and just let it go to waste ? No, if I'm not a big drinker I will just share mine with other people.

Well, I guess if you're bound and determined to break the rules, no one's going to be able to stop you. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess if you're bound and determined to break the rules, no one's going to be able to stop you. :rolleyes:

Exactly, and I'm sure you have broke a few of your own. :rolleyes:

Exactly, and I'm sure you have broke a few of your own. :rolleyes:

In 51 years, never knowingly, but that's really not the point either, is it? As my mother used to say "if your friends jump off a bridge are you going to jump off too?". I don't believe that if other people get away with breaking rules that it is then okay for me to do so also but I understand some people do.

In 51 years, never knowingly, but that's really not the point either, is it? As my mother used to say "if your friends jump off a bridge are you going to jump off too?". I don't believe that if other people get away with breaking rules that it is then okay for me to do so also but I understand some people do.

Unless God is a CC member posting on here, nobody on here is perfect. I did purchase the cheers, and no I did not share it. But my point was, no matter what the policy, some people will share.

Quick question?

If I order a drink before hitting international waters do I have to pay for the drink including tax or is it just the 15% tax?

Think I'm just being stupid! :confused:

If you have the Cheers program and you order a drink as soon as you board before the ship hits international waters, you will pay the prevailing tax of the state or country where the ship embarked from. That's all you pay, any drinks would come off of your total of 15. That is assuming of course that the pre tip rate of the drink is 9.95 or less.

We have several rooms in our group, and only two of us think the new price is worth the Cheers! program. Do you think we could rearrange the rooms so the two of us share a room--to abide by the every-person-in-your-cabin rule--then purchase the program and switch the rooms back at the front desk?

We have several rooms in our group, and only two of us think the new price is worth the Cheers! program. Do you think we could rearrange the rooms so the two of us share a room--to abide by the every-person-in-your-cabin rule--then purchase the program and switch the rooms back at the front desk?

As per a post on here awhile ago, others have tried that and failed. They were told if they wanted to change cabins after purchasing the Cheers program, the person in the cabin they were switching to had to now buy the Cheers program.

As per a post on here awhile ago, others have tried that and failed. They were told if they wanted to change cabins after purchasing the Cheers program, the person in the cabin they were switching to had to now buy the Cheers program.

Interesting. What if we switched cabins first?

(1) Switch cabins

(2) Buy Cheers!

Eliminate the switch back.

Interesting. What if we switched cabins first?

(1) Switch cabins

(2) Buy Cheers!

Eliminate the switch back.

Well its a loop then :) when you go to buy your cheers program they will tell you everyone in the cabin has to buy Cheers.

Well its a loop then :) when you go to buy your cheers program they will tell you everyone in the cabin has to buy Cheers.

I appreciate this help. Perhaps I'm not being clear. We have greater than 2 people in one room, and 2 in another. What if we simply switched---put the two that wanted to do Cheers in the two-person room, and the rest in the other room. Then, go buy Cheers. That would be the end of it.

Edited by newcomer247

Yes. That would work. I'm sorry, I did misunderstand...actually I was about to repost and say that why dont you just have the 2 people who want cheers to stay in a cabin together lol but I thought perhaps that might be me assuming something :) So yes, if thats ok for your plans then it works just fine :)

That's very true but how many people can literally drink 15 drinks a day, 7 days in a row, and not be falling down stupid? On my last two cruises, I've seen what 15 drinks a day can do to people. Not everyone goes on a cruise just to see how inebriated they can get. If sharing were allowed (or if only one person in a cabin could buy the card), my wife and I could easily get along (and get pretty sloshed) on a single card and still not come close to hitting the 15 drink a day limit.

I've done the booze cruise with over 100 people and I would say 80% went over the 15 drink limit. Myself included and I never have been sloshed in my life. I rarely drink (work too much) but liquor does not seem to have much of an effect on me. I drink girly drinks and think they never back a punch.I get a bit more mellow but that is about it. The nice thing with no limits it got me to try new drinks. Found I had a taste for Sambucca.

On the booze cruise card there is no time limit and I saw some in the group start drinking at 10 am and still going strong at 3am. I would say the majority of that group got their money's worth but about half of them were sloshed half the cruise. I'm not a fan of drinking so much you forget that you forget the journey.

I actually liked the drink coupons you could by. It saved just a tiny bit but it let me prepay my cruise.

I appreciate this help. Perhaps I'm not being clear. We have greater than 2 people in one room, and 2 in another. What if we simply switched---put the two that wanted to do Cheers in the two-person room, and the rest in the other room. Then, go buy Cheers. That would be the end of it.

As long as you switch prior to purchasing Cheers, that would work fine.

Edited by Out to sea!

Think my parents are considering the Cheers programme for my dads birthday cruise in January. Neither of them are big drinkers and don't drink during the day. They think that the value for money comes in when sampling new drinks and not having to worry about the cost of trying them.

When I showed my dad the Cheers calculator he couldn't believe how quickly your bar tab mounts up. And that's just with a few beers and spirits!

:o:thumbup::p:beer:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

Is it 5 minutes between buying drinks?Do they really time you?What about soft drinks?I can drink a can of pop down pretty quick in between alcohol drinks.

Laura

The computer keeps track of the time between drinks, as well as number of drinks. But with a good waiter you can get drinks before the time limit is up.

Yes, between drinks containing alcohol. Drinks not containing alcohol that are on the program dont count towards your 15 limit and can be ordered at any time.

Thanks.So I can at least get soda to take to my room .

Yes, between drinks containing alcohol. Drinks not containing alcohol that are on the program dont count towards your 15 limit and can be ordered at any time.

Actually on the Liberty this past May. I had to wait 5 minutes to get a pop after I ordered a drink. So I guess it depends on the bartender. Didnt make sense to me but oh well.