What to do in Tallinn?

Donna, your link to Amazon showed that a new edition of Frommer's Scandinavia is due out on June 20th - and it said "2 edition"...which I took to mean 2nd edition. Now that I have looked at the book cover more closely, I see that the new book is the "21st" edition!!! I appreciate your info, and I just might buy the new Frommers guide before we go.

I think that for $14.95 it's a good investment for a trip that will cost thousands. But any guidebook beats none at all, and I'm surprised at the number of passengers that don't bring one. I think it was this thread that mentioned printing the Frommers walking tours off the internet, and that's great, but I think the Frommers people have figured out that one way to get people to buy the book is to not include the walking tour map. You can get a separate map and then use the Frommers walking tours with that map, but it's just easier to have the commentary and map in one document. The book is a fraction of the cost of a walking tour for 2 in Europe, but I understand trying to save a few bucks here and there too. I check the Fodors and EyeWitness guides out from the library because they often have helpful information, but I buy the ones I use most (for me that's Frommers) to take with me and do often copy pages so that I don't have to carry the whole book while I'm out during the day.

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

I get all the tour books for a location at the library then decide if I want to buy a particular one. If there is not a lot that I want, I just make a copy of it (is that illegal)? I take a little booklet that I make for each port rather than taking the actual books. I include pictures I particularly like so I can find the viewpoint to see that particular site. Often seeing pictures before I go helps me decide what I want to see in a particular location. Marlyne

Dear Steve,

Just returned from 6/14 Star Princess cruise and found Tallinn to be a very charming city. It is an easy walk from pier to city (15-20minutes) and town is very easy to get around. There is an upper town where Alexander Nevski Cathedral is located and well worth the visit. They give out maps at the port before walking into town and if you follow the main attractions you will have no problem getting around. I covered almost all of town and also had time to buy a sweater on Muurivahe Street that is listed on this site. I didn't take time to eat since we were well fed on the ship. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cory

Damerch, to make a reservation at the Olde Hansa restaurant, go to http://www.oldehansa.ee ; click "dining reservation". We learned that one can order live medieval music during lunch for a fee...According to some cruisers, lunch there was good and interesting...Candle lights were used even during lunch time...

To listen to Tallinn's medieval music, go to "olde hansa musicus", click next page until you get to last page and click "listen to our music"...

We have a lunch reservation there, no credit card was needed; and will play by ears in terms of where we will end up having lunch (there are also outdoor restaurants/cafes where one can enjoy live Estonian music)...

Kim

Dear Steve,

It is an easy walk from pier to city (15-20minutes) and town is very easy to get around.

Thank you for that info. From looking at map that Celebrity has provided to Baltics passengers this year (many thanks to Dileep for posting those), it appears that the walk from the ship's docks to the Old Town is a scenic walk and not a walk through an industrialized area like it is in some European ports. Is that correct? If it is, I don't think we'll bother with the shuttle either.

Thanks,

Donna

Thank you for that info. From looking at map that Celebrity has provided to Baltics passengers this year (many thanks to Dileep for posting those), it appears that the walk from the ship's docks to the Old Town is a scenic walk and not a walk through an industrialized area like it is in some European ports. Is that correct? If it is, I don't think we'll bother with the shuttle either.

Thanks,

Donna

I don't recall it being scenic. We took the shuttle bus and saved our energy for walking around Old Town.

I don't recall it being scenic. We took the shuttle bus and saved our energy for walking around Old Town.

definately not scenic.Its not too far but take the shuttleand have more time

Jim

Thanks,

Donna

Dear Donna,

If you depart from same port that Princess is moored at then walk to town is not very scenic. You walk out of the port and cross a major street (there is good crosswalk) and then you will see the round castle. On right side is is Pikk Street. Just follow this street to central square. On other side of square on the right side of City Hall is an information center where you can get maps and info. You really don't need since the map they give you when leaving the dock is pretty good. They also sell a small booklet that I bought for 100 Kroon that is really good and has a good map. I found it in the main square. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cory

A quick note to let those going to Tallinn that you can find Rick Steves walking tour of Tallinn online, print it and then not have to take a book.

If you go to Frommer's sight and put in your destinations, for most other cities you will find one or two walking tours as well.

Can you tell us where to go to get the online tour from Rick Steves?

Archived