Vegan anytime dining?

jamesboat

So it looks like Im going on a surprise cruise next month!

The person Im traveling with is vegan, and from the research I've done, it looks like Princess does accommodate reasonably well.

However, I havent found a definitive answer as to whether it can be done with anytime dining or if traditional dining is required? Everything Ive found says that the person looks at the menu and selects what they'd like for the next day, but not if that can be done in the anytime room.

While the main focus is dinner, can breakfast be had outside the buffet again with a special request?

Thanks!

Surprise cruise?! I hate you :p

You and your cruise-mate will have NO problems at all. Anytime and Traditional dining run on the same menu. You won't have any issues at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Don't be shy about making special requests!

On your first evening in Anytime, speak with your headwaiter and he will present all the dining room menus for the next day and assist with your selection of appropriate items that can be made vegan.

Your request is stored by name and cabin number, so the next day you can be at a different table and just tell the waiter your meal is pre-ordered and the cabin information.

I suggest using the same anytime dining room each evening so you can work with the same headwaiter throughout the cruise.

From my FAQ:

Food Allergies/Special Diets/Dietary Concerns

Many cruisers nowadays have special dietary needs, most often for medical reasons. Cruise lines will do everything possible to accommodate reasonable requests, but it takes a partnership.

If you have a dietary need, there are certain general steps you should follow:

• If your needs are medically based, I recommend traditional dining. Maintaining the same wait staff will make it much easier to manage. If TD is not an option, see below.
  • Indicate your specific needs in the cruise personalizer as early as possible. This allows for the possibility of onloading any special items needed.
  • Once onboard, contact the Maitre’D on embarkation day (location will be listed in the patter). Confirm they have your details correct. He or she will go over their specific protocols with you.
  • Indicate if your dietary needs are medical or preferential, i.e. a food allergy versus a lifestyle choice. This can influence options available and also make it easier on the kitchen staff. Food allergies require special care, but if you don’t eat nuts by preference you will not know they used the same pot to cook it.
  • During meals, your main point of contact will be your servers and most especially your headwaiter. Each evening, the headwaiter should review the next day’s menu with you and will work with you to adjust as needed. They can also make arrangements for specialty dining, which should be confirmed upon arrival at the venue.
  • If you are in AD, and at Breakfast and Lunch, advise your servers that the headwaiter is aware of your special diet and has arranged menu options if available.

Some Notes:

• Needless to say, your options may be limited early on Embarkation day, and the adjustments at the first night’s dinner may also be a little more limited as the kitchen has had very little time to prepare. That said, the kitchen will do whatever they can.
  • In general, avoid the buffet. While Princess makes every effort to avoid cross-contamination, your fellow passengers do not. I’ve personally observed the same utensils used to spread peanut butter used to pick up other items.
  • Princess cannot provide special meals to take off the ship as most ports will not allow it. You should plan accordingly for excursions.
  • The executive chef and their team and the headwaiter will be working very hard to ensure your needs. If you can arrange it, a personal thank you is always a good idea, or at the very least a positive comment card.
  • A good place to meet the EC is at the Chef’s table. The chef’s table is an excellent option and they will adjust the menu as needed.

I tried while on our 20 day cruise and it was hit or miss. They ran out of soy milk 6 days before the cruise was over. Your selections in the dining room are sometimes slim. My server knew to always bring me the steamed veggies every night and I so appreciated it! The vegetarian entrees always include cheese - so they were useless! I resorted to pasta with red sauce many nights and it was good. I found it easier to eat in the buffet, but my group preferred the dining rooms in the evening so I toughed it out! If you have time to get some soy or almond milk before you leave port I highly recommend it and keep it in your room frig. We left from Venice and I could not find it in the small Co-op store we bought wine and soda in before we left port. Fruits are plentiful and wonderful quality. Breakfast was easy anywhere as I could get oatmeal and asked for walnuts and raisins. I ate the veggie burgers and they were lentil based and I pretended they did not have eggs in them so I could eat them- I never asked! Make the best of your time and enjoy it!

I tried while on our 20 day cruise and it was hit or miss..... The vegetarian entrees always include cheese - so they were useless!

I am surprised that the headwaiter did not arrange the previous evenings to have these dishes prepared for you without the cheese.

Thank you for the help guys.

Are veggie burgers available by the pool?

They are available at the burger grill in the pool area.

Be sure to tell them you expect them to use different utensils than what they are using for the burgers and other meats. They will cook the veggie burger in a separate area of the grill.

The pool area cooks the veggie burgers in a frying pan and not on the flattop. Allow extra time getting it cooked. As far as the maitre D accommodating me, many of the dishes made with cheese were just not appealing without the cheese and many were quiche type dishes that relied on eggs also,not just the cheese. If you like Indian food - like curry dishes - you will be better off than me! I did not care for these dishes and they were offered many of the nights in the main dining room. I did get the menus the night before so we could plan. He always came by and we talked over what I could order. They were very helpful, but it is hard for the kitchen to cater to one person when they are cooking for thousands. I did not ask for special items to be cooked, I would just try to stick with what was on the menu or order a pasta dish which they were always willing to do! I ate for the most part really good food that I enjoyed and the key is planning ahead for the dining room.

Archived