Christian Catacombs in Rome

For anyone who has been to the Christian Catacombs in Rome, I have a few questions...

1) What was it like? Do you have any pictures to share?

2) Was it worth going to, or is the limited time in Rome better spent elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

We took the tour a few years ago. It had been recommended by our table mates and we found it interesting. No pictures to share but we went to the catacombs that you entered by a church, for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the church but it was on the outskirts of the city. I do remember that across the street was a sign for a restaurant around the corner that was really great, one of the best meals we had in the city during the five days we spent in Rome. I will look up my old pictures and see if I can get the name of the church. I think the church was St. Sebastien now if I could only think of the name of the restaurant! If you have time try it.

We toured the Catacombs and learned a lot too. I think it's something I would do after I done the main sights like the Vatican, Forum, Coliseum, etc.

Something else you might consider is the Church of Santa Maria della Concezione, where the crypt has been decorated with the bones of thousands of Capuchin friars. It was fascinating, and easy to get to.

There's so much to see in Rome it's hard to go wrong.

Lisa

we just returned from a trip to Rome (7 days) after our cruise. We visited the catacombs outside Rome called San Callisto. Quite interesting and we got there using the public bus from the Termini station in Rome - when you go to buy your bus tickets at the Tabacchi store at the terminal they will tell you the bus numbers you need - there will be one transfer. If you have limited time in Rome, however I would do the other sites first - particularly the Vatican and St. Peter's and the Forum and Colusseum.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Metro to (I think) Collii Albeni and then the 660 bus to the end of the Via Appia Antica. There is a cafe near the bus stop and after a coffee walked back into Rome along the via Appia (which was closed to traffic) visiting the catacombs and tombs on the way. The catacombs have guided tours in whatever language and no photos are allowed. Took us about three or four hours with lots of stops. There is a picture in my Ancient Rome - Forum, Palentino and Colosseum album in the link below http://community.webshots.com/user/raquero666

Archived