I Think I'm Going to Cry :(

ducklite

I just the Le Grill sample menu posted on Facebook, and there are exactly three out of 14 items that I can eat due to food allergies. That's if there aren't hidden allergens in the three.

Can anyone with multiple food allergies reassure me that they worked with you and you didn't live on a steady diet of plain grilled chicken and steamed vegetables for the entire trip? :(

Have you contacted the PG and let them know your situation? Smaller ship has limitations verses the larger ships. I do know the PG trys real hard to please but letting them know before hand would be wise.

I definitely will reach out a few months in advance. I've never had a chef not be able to work around my allergies with advance notice, they just have to be a little more creative.

Hi,

I would be interested in how you found the menus on facebook.

I also have food issues.SS& SB both very small ships under 200 people were wonderful to work with.My problems are dairy and so many people cook with butter and cheese.

Thank you:)

Cannot find it.Went on PG Facebook but nothing but basic infor on ship.What else can I do?

On the PG Facebook home page, look on the right side below the photo. You will see a rectangle with "Le Grill Sample..." Click and you will be half way there...

Gerry

Le Grill has a fixed menu but that doesnt mean that they will not makeyou food that you are not alergic too. One night I found I was allergic to most of the foods so I asked for a main course quantity of the appetizer. You always have the option for that.

Le Grill has a fixed menu but that doesnt mean that they will not makeyou food that you are not alergic too. One night I found I was allergic to most of the foods so I asked for a main course quantity of the appetizer. You always have the option for that.

Except there wasn't a single appetizer that didn't have allergens in it. :(

I'm very proactive and will contact them in advance. Hopefully they'll be able to be creative for me. I've had some chefs who took the lazy way out and served me chicken breast with steamed vegetables and a fruit tray for dessert, and others that have made exquisite gourmet meals. I'm hoping for the latter.

We had a young man at our table the first night with some severe allergies. They had not contacted anyone in advance ( the poor things didn't even know to book a day room, didn't realize they could not board at 6 AM and had to sit on a park bench in Papeete till boarding:eek:) , so you get a sense of how not pre prepared they were;)

As soon as they asked the waiter about the ingredients in the meals, he immediately sprang into action; noting who he was and making sure whatever waiter he had provided him with a menu for the next night at dessert each night. They went over the menu and the young man selected what he wanted and the chef made that dish without the offending allergens ( as much is practical - obviously being allergic to shrimp, he couldn't do allergen free shrinp scampi:rolleyes:) But every night the young man had what he wanted specially prepared with notes about what his particular allergies.

Just one persons experience and I m sure you could get this service from the very first day, if you call ahead and then check in before dinner with the Maitre D.

Good luck!

Thanks Familygoboston, that's very reassuring.

One of my allergies is coconut, and it seems similar to the Caribbean, where it's in everything. I remember eating some rice--just white rice--should have been safe, right? Not in the Caribbean where they cook it in coconut milk. :eek:

I'm actually pretty easy to work around with minor changes. I think I repeated one dinner on Windstar, and that was by choice.

I just get a little panicked when I see a menu with item after item after item which I can't have. :(

One question--I have "Allergy Cards" which list all of my food allergies. They are laminated so a server can take them into the kitchen, and even if the chef has dirty or wet hands, I can wipe it off and reuse. I have them in English, Croatian, Greek, and Italian. I'm planning on getting one in French as well. Is there another language that would be advisable for FP and the PG?

Ducklite

When are you going?

I can send you current menus but you have two choices either you wait on DD's pleasure and he is away or if you give me your email I will take. Pic on my iPad and send to you. Our intention is to post on our blog but with DD 's schedule it may or may not happen.

I honestly didn't see a lot of coconut in the food.

Ducklite

When are you going?

I can send you current menus but you have two choices either you wait on DD's pleasure and he is away or if you give me your email I will take. Pic on my iPad and send to you. Our intention is to post on our blog but with DD 's schedule it may or may not happen.

I honestly didn't see a lot of coconut in the food.

Thanks Emdee. It's my user name @aol

I'm allergic to numerous other things including some shellfish, peanuts, and tree nuts. I also have a dairy sensitivity, but that's really easy to manage on my own. I just need to limit dairy sometimes as it can be an asthma trigger for me.

We're not going to about 14 months, plenty of time to fret over things I guess. :)

Ducklite,

Poor you. yes with so many allergies they will have to be really careful.

I also am allergic to some stuff - hard nuts like pecan and walnuts and fresh tuna. Recently I find myself sensitive to some milks but not to milk products. I carried my own milk powder capsules with me and used them on the PG as they agree with me.

Like elsewhere I guess you will have to work with the chef/maitre in advance. About 3 months before I would try and get the email address of one of theser persons and you could correspond with them so they are prepared for you.

Archived