Booking R/T-only need one way

NW Pacific

I did try searching this in the Forum, and know there had been many posts, but will ask this anyway. Due to Airline not allowing one way tickets on companion fare, I find it less expensive to book a roundtrip (not using return) than going one way. Know this isn't "proper" but wondering if anyone has ever received any "penalty" after the fact. I do intend to notify after arriving home to cancel return ticket, not expecting any compensation. This will be a first time. Should I not contact about our no return or just leave it alone as a no show?

You have to read the fine print on the ticket you're buying (including the class of ticket) specifically from that airline. I have read recently in the paper about some airlines getting much more aggressive about re-pricing tickets and charging people who violate the terms of their ticket by buying an inexpensive ticket and not using it for the purposes it was sold (including, in some cases, buying a cheap round trip ticket and only using it one way). It will depend on the type of ticket and the airline, so read the fine print (terms and conditions).

People miss planes all the time. :) Flat tires, traffic jams on the freeway to the airport, waking up with the flu, etc.

As long as you're not a serial, habitual abuser or your travel agent doesn't book throw-away tickets it's highly unlikely the airline will come after you. Thought exercise- how would they prove that not taking the return flight was premeditated? Definitely do NOT call the airline to say you won't take the return flight...it begs the question why, and you will also have to explain why you don't want to be rebooked to the next flight. Also, I personally would be hesitant to provide a frequent flyer number to get miles for the first half. It will just be another "flag" that you didn't complete the ticketed itinerary.

Important: The return half of the ticket *must* be the one you don't use. If you don't show up for the first half, the remaining portion of your ticket will be cancelled. So, if you need to fly one way from Europe back to your home in the US, you need to purchase a Europe-US-Europe round trip. That's something to check into...even in the US, a domestic roundtrip ticket from A to B and return is often a different fare than the opposite direction.

All this said, understand the risk is not zero.

Did look up the "Contract of Carriage" does state booking R/T throw away tickets in Prohibited. Example used buying cheap R/T tickets instead of one way. I will be purchasing a First Class ticket using companion fare for second ticket and paying for return coach tickets. I think the airlines will come out ahead, can resell or use my unused return for stand by or whatever, will not be asking for compensation for unused portion, am such an honest person will probably not go through with this, but just feel I am getting riped off not being able to use what I pay for as an annaul fee for companion ticket only to be able to use as a R/T.

This is a Domestic flight only DFW-PDX .

thanks for the responses-

Did look up the "Contract of Carriage" does state booking R/T throw away tickets in Prohibited. Example used buying cheap R/T tickets instead of one way. I will be purchasing a First Class ticket using companion fare for second ticket and paying for return coach tickets. I think the airlines will come out ahead, can resell or use my unused return for stand by or whatever, will not be asking for compensation for unused portion, am such an honest person will probably not go through with this, but just feel I am getting riped off not being able to use what I pay for as an annaul fee for companion ticket only to be able to use as a R/T.

This is a Domestic flight only DFW-PDX .

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT CALL TO CANCEL your return. You are just waving red flags and no, the airlines don't look at a "throw away ticket" as an opportunity to resell your ticket. They can make a LOT more money coming back to you and CHARGING you the difference between a ONE WAY ticket and 1/2 of a RT ticket. Don't forget, they have your credit card number and are well within their rights to CHARGE the difference. And this is going to be a risky proposition because you are using WAAAY too much info-companion cert, airline credit card, etc., etc. Throw away ticketing should be done "under the table" as much as possible-no FF numbers, certainly no companion cert and NO airline credit card.

And if this is an Alaska Airlines companion cert, you may be surprised to find you can NO LONGER use the companion cert for first class. I think the cut off date was end of August 2012.

can resell or use my unused return for stand by or whatever,

You definitely cannot resell your ticket. A cancelled ticket is good for a year from the original booking date (not from the travel date), but ONLY under the ticketed name. There simply isn't a way to do a name change on the ticket, and don't forget TSA and the airline require photo ID as a final verification.

I'm sure some backdoor is out there...and it invites a very detailed investigation from the airline, backbilling of your credit card, and cancellation of your FF account. Search around it it does happen now and then. It will presumably raise eyebrows at TSA...the airline and TSA may even decide to let the buyer of your ticket "get away with it" and take them to the "rubber room" when they show up at the security checkpoint. Hopefully the buyer didn't use a false ID to pose as you...hope you like federal charges if that happens.

As others (and I) have said, you need to play very, very low-key if you want to do throw-away ticketing. If you feel you're being ripped off that's your right and prerogative...but if you want to "get back at The Man", so to speak, and be in their face about it, well, good luck with that. :)

I'm still a little confused. The OP says the flight is DFW-PDX, which is only served by Spirit and American nonstop. I'm curious what "companion" certificate is in play here. If it's an Alaska Airlines companion certificate, it won't work unless the OP routes via Seattle, as Alaska's certificates are only good on its own planes. While Alaska codeshares AA's DFW-PDX flights, one can't use the companion fare on itineraries flown by a partner. However one can use Alaska certificates on one-way flights, hence my puzzlement.

Wow, to some responses, have no intention of trying resale the tickets to anyone else, what I posted was the airline could resell to a stand by passenger if we are no show, to their advantage.

The Carriage of Contract uses an example for their Prohibited Use Of "throw Away Tickets" purchasing "cheap round trip tickets" to only be used for one way. I am not intending to purchase cheap tickets (first class),

We would be going through SEA to get to PDX. Stil have a companion that can be used for FC,

Had no idea they could cancel your FF miles Program for a rule violation, food for thought.

Wow, to some responses, have no intention of trying resale the tickets to anyone else, what I posted was the airline could resell to a stand by passenger if we are no show, to their advantage.

The Carriage of Contract uses an example for their Prohibited Use Of "throw Away Tickets" purchasing "cheap round trip tickets" to only be used for one way. I am not intending to purchase cheap tickets (first class),

We would be going through SEA to get to PDX. Stil have a companion that can be used for FC,

Had no idea they could cancel your FF miles Program for a rule violation, food for thought.

I have used Alaska companion certs for one-way flights (including first class when I could) on several occasions. If some agent told you it had to be a round trip ticket, phone back.

You are missing the point. YOU may be buying a first class ticket BUT it may be a DISCOUNTED first class ticket purchased far in advance. There are varying fare codes even in first class-the prices are NOT all the same.

When airlines back bill to credit cards (or particularly to travel agencies), they bill for a ONE WAY SAME DAY WALK UP ticket (ie, NO advance purchase, NO discounts whatsoever) which can be TWICE the price of your original first class ticket.

Doesn't happen often but neither does getting caught with throw away ticketing. But when someone does get caught, the consequences can definitely be dire. And you are putting way too much info into a throw away ticket. As I posted previously, you are using a companion cert, FF number AND an airline credit card. Three HUGE red flags so it would be VERY easy to track you down if the airline so chose to do so.

Please listen to Gardyloo and try to book that ONE WAY ticket using your companion certificate. Call the airline 2 or 3 times if you have to until you find an agent that is saavy enough and has been around the block enough to actually KNOW ALL the rules.

QUOTE]

Stand by tickets- board at the last minutes- the airline will wait for YOU, so they aren't going to be reselling much of anything. The "stand by" would also, have to already be at the gate.

Standby passengers- revenue- aren't on a lot of flights and it, more likely would go to a employee, waiting for a seat. :)

Stand by tickets- board at the last minutes- the airline will wait for YOU, so they aren't going to be reselling much of anything. The "stand by" would also, have to already be at the gate.

Standby passengers- revenue- aren't on a lot of flights and it, more likely would go to a employee, waiting for a seat. :)

Nah, the airlines oversell counting that some passengers will cancel at the last minute, miss connections (or just miss the flight) or don't show up. They know the statistical likelihood for every flight. Ever been on a flight where the gate agents ask for bump volunteers and often the flight actually leaves with a few empty seats? They prefer it to be just full of paid pax w/o bumping anyone.

Archived