What is the draft beer Selection on RCI??

ripjerry95

My husband is generally a stout drinker and I would imagine that in the British Pub he could get a stout. But what are the draft beer selections on RCI ships? Thanks, Kim

Mostly poor to non-existant. Most bars don'thave active taps, and the few that do usually only have 1-2 types (Heineken and Amsdel). The ships with a British pub do have Guiness, Boddington's, and a few other classic UK brands, but they're in cans. Oasis class may have more options, but we've only made it through Freedom class so far:o

My husband is generally a stout drinker and I would imagine that in the British Pub he could get a stout. But what are the draft beer selections on RCI ships? Thanks, Kim

I was just on Liberty and they had Boddingtons Pub Ale in the pub. I thought it was really good.

Hate to be a pain, but all lagers are beer, though not all beer are lagers (a lager is a brewing style of beer).

In the UK we have 3 types Beer, lager, and Stout When in fact it should be Ale and Lager

Ale is a beer that uses top-fermenting yeast at higher temperatures for short periods of time. Lager is a beer that is fermented with bottom-fermenting yeast at lower temperatures for longer periods of time

You can say that ales generally

Include more robust-tasting beers

Tend to be fruity and aromatic

Include more bitter beers

Have a pronounced, complex taste and aroma

Are enjoyed warmer (45 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit, 7 to 12 degrees Celsius)

And you can say that lagers generally

Include lighter-tasting beers

Tend to be highly carbonated or crisp

Tend to be smooth and mellow

Have a subtle, clean, balanced taste and aroma

Are served fairly cool (38 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit, 3 to 7 degrees Celsius)

They are very different and Beer (Ale) is more widely drank here.

The op was asking about a stout which we would call a dark Beer (Ale)

You can say that ales generally

And you can say that lagers generally

Definitely informative and accurate. The only reason I post, is to emphasize the above two. Though they are "generally" as suggested, they can be quite different or very hard to distinguish between the styles.

In the UK we have 3 types Beer, lager, and Stout When in fact it should be Ale and Lager

And not to be too difficult (I know: too late), I always thought that in the UK, they believed there were 7 beer styles:

Pale, Bitter, Brown, Porter, Stout, Lager, and American. :eek:

Definitely informative and accurate. The only reason I post, is to emphasize the above two. Though they are "generally" as suggested, they can be quite different or very hard to distinguish between the styles.

And not to be too difficult (I know: too late), I always thought that in the UK, they believed there were 7 beer styles:

Pale, Bitter, Brown, Porter, Stout, Lager, and American. :eek:

Lol yes! But here generally lager is ordered by brand ie Becks, Bud, Stellar and Beer is ordered by type. Bitter, stout, pale....

Ditto that the drafts stink on RCI..I have complained to them for years..I was JUST on the Allure for 3 nights and 70% of the drafts were broken...Boddington's in the British Pub was broken. The Pub used to have Guinness, but no more on draft.. They had Stella and a German White Ale...some did have Beck's, but again many were broken..Norbertsneice did have some nice pics of the beer BOTTLE menu in the British Pub...NCL, Disney & Carnival all have 4-5 drafts INCLUDING Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & more ( 2 of my favs!!)...almost HALF the bars on RCI don't even carry draft, only bottles..one of the few things I don't like about RCI..I ended up going to the Pub or Sorrento's Pizza for all my beer, then go wherever I had to go .......

Big Al

This is the one thing that I don't like about cruising. The beer selection is poor. I mostly drink microbrews. On the ship, I settle for Foster's, in the big oil can. It's ok. I even switch to drinking more mixed drinks, because the beer selection is so bad. With the rising popularity of microbeer, some bars and restaurants have been increasing their offerings, but both RCI and Carnival haven't stepped up yet (although I don't care about Carnival...done with them). Hopefully someday.

Dan

This is the one thing that I don't like about cruising. The beer selection is poor. I mostly drink microbrews. On the ship, I settle for Foster's, in the big oil can. It's ok. I even switch to drinking more mixed drinks, because the beer selection is so bad. With the rising popularity of microbeer, some bars and restaurants have been increasing their offerings, but both RCI and Carnival haven't stepped up yet (although I don't care about Carnival...done with them). Hopefully someday.

Dan

Dan- You may be done w/Carnival, but their new Red Frog Ale in their brew pub has gotten RAVE reviews....I also prefer microbrews, but I've been on all major cruise lines ( except Costa) and RCI for DRAFT is among the worst..BTW,Celebrity ( Solstice class ships) & NCL ("Maltings") have special beer bars and have as many as 10 beers on draft including microbrews..since Celebrity is owned by RCI, you may want to explore that option...

Big Al

Big al,

Thanks for the tip on the Thirsty Frog. I did find out about it just prior to going on Carnival Spirit about 16 months ago. After finding out that Anheuser-Busch makes it, I lost interest. They won't put a lick of hops in anything. Probably a money thing. Totally sounding like a beer snob here, but, hey, I am. I will never find out if their AB red beer is good or not. Spirit sealed that fate.

Just a funny thing...One of my best friends, that I have know since 4th grade, is also called "Big Al".

Dan

That looks similar to the menu at the Pub on the Explorer last month as well. They had Stella and Beck's on tap.

Stella, thank you! I imagine that all of the pubs have the same beer/lager/stout/etc list, since RCI is pretty standard across the fleet in such things.

To the poster who said that they had Heineken and Amstel on Liberty last year, they probably don't any more, or will be switching to the other 2 soon. On Jewel this week they just had empty tap heads in the Solarium Bar, which is the only place I thought to look.

Those are all bottled beers? That is a pretty good selection I must say. Husband would find something in bottles if he couldn't get a decent draft. Thanks!

Right. Maybe 8 of those were available on tap but the majority were in bottles and cans.

Your husband should be happy. It was fun trying different brands and types. Plus there was no shortage of recommendations and taste descriptions from the staff at the pub which added to the fun. :)

Archived