Prescription swim goggles

Condocat

you can do what ever makes U feel good

goggles ( prescription or not) cover the eyes

MASK covers the eyes and nose ......

Snorkel + mask has everything covered

Snorkel + goggles . . . . needs a nose plug I suspect . . .

• 7 months later...

I have always put an old pair of prescription eyeglasses with the ear pieces removed in the mask. They wedge in nicely and they work better than i could have ever imagined. As I am near blind without glasses the fact that I can see so clearly underwater is great!

OP, I would say yes to your question.

My son has been wearing prescription swim goggles since he was 5. He is now 14. My mother in law also wears them. My son does fine with just goggles, he learned how to snorkel with them and has never used a full mask so he is very good at controlling his breathing, even when he dives down and resurfaces while snorkeling.

My MIL on the other hand tried the full prescription mask in Hawaii this year and did not like it because she couldn't get a good seal and it leaked on her. This could have just been the fit of the mask. Either way, she went back to the regular goggles that she has grown accustomed to and prefers to snorkel without the full mask.

Your local optometrist can probably order a full mask or goggles for you, We pay $40 to $50 a pair depending on the style and color.

I wear contact lenses with a full mask when I snorkel, there is no way I can avoid sucking water up my nose!!! :D :p

there IS a technical detail

A snorkeler sometimes decides to 'free dive', and go under water from the surface

immediately, water pressure begins to push the goggles or mask into the face. With a mask one almost naturally equalizes the pressure by passing a small amount of air out of the nose into the mask. In this way a diver (free or SCUBA) can go WAY WAY underwater, despite the increased pressure. This is not possible with goggles.

It is POSSIBLE that one who 'free dives' with goggles, could injure them self as the goggles are driven into the eye socket by water pressure.

Not likely .. but possible.

Archived