How much time for Butchart Gardens (Victoria)?

karen_g

Do you think 1 and 1/2 hours is enough time to see the gardens?

I'm torn between 2 tours: one allows 2 hours for touring the gardens, the other only 1 and 1/2, ** but ** the latter then allows an additional hour to have Afternoon Tea at the restaurant there. I'd really like to enjoy Afternoon Tea there, just not if it will mean missing significant parts of the gardens. What do you think?

Do you think 1 and 1/2 hours is enough time to see the gardens?

I'm torn between 2 tours: one allows 2 hours for touring the gardens, the other only 1 and 1/2, ** but ** the latter then allows an additional hour to have Afternoon Tea at the restaurant there. I'd really like to enjoy Afternoon Tea there, just not if it will mean missing significant parts of the gardens. What do you think?

Honestly I don't feel that even 2 hours is enough time to see it all. My wife and I can spend the entire day there..

We live in Victoria, so do not have your time restrictions, but I would strongly suggest skipping the tea and spending more time in the gardens. The best thing about the tea is the setting, not the food. I enjoy the food but would never make a special trip just to eat there - it is all about where you are and the quality of service - which you should be able to find lots of places, and perhaps even on your ship if they offer an afternoon tea (I would take the one on Oceania Marina any day over the one at Burcharts, but maybe that is me).

What ever you do, make sure you have enough time so you are not rushed - it is the perfect place for a very leisurely pace - it is easy to get sensory overload and be overwhelmed so leave time to look at the details as well as the scale.

Our favorite trip is to go in the late afternoon, take a lot of time in the gardens, have a picnic (take it with us) and then back again as it gets dark - they light up everything and seeing the gardens at night is a totally different experience - and if you get there on the right night there are fireworks over the lake.

enjoy.

How long your ship is in port should determine whether your take a ship tour or a private tour. If you are in port all day, then you can easily get out to the Gardens on your own. However, if you are only in port for a few hours I strongly suggest keeping with the ship's tour to ensure you get back to the ship before sailing. I would take the two hour tour and skip having tea.

We will be in port from 8 AM to 6 PM. We would like to have lunch in Victoria at a Pub or fish house, but also have ample time to see the gardens. I was there once before, but only about 4 hours in the evening so I am excited about having a whole day to spend. What would be the best time for us to make the trip to the gardens, morning or afternoon? The best time for photography of the gardens is important to me.

Wow, there are so many pubs and fish houses in Victoria is is pretty hard to choose. But a few of the pubs that I would think of would include the Sticky Wicket, Irish Times and the Bard and the Banker. Fish restaurants would include Nautical Nellie's, Pescatores and Ferris' Oyster Bar & Grill. For photos at Butchart Gardens I would like to be there between 10 am and noon.

We will be in port from 8 AM to 6 PM. We would like to have lunch in Victoria at a Pub or fish house, but also have ample time to see the gardens. I was there once before, but only about 4 hours in the evening so I am excited about having a whole day to spend. What would be the best time for us to make the trip to the gardens, morning or afternoon? The best time for photography of the gardens is important to me.

If you're looking for simple Fish and Chips; there are two great options. Barb's at Fisherman's What, and Red Fish Blue Fish, in the inner harbour. Pubs I would consider the sticky wicket (downtown on Douglas), Spinniker's (off Equimalt Rd), Swan's (by the Johnson Street bridge) all as good options.

Thank you for the replies. It seems as if a morning excursion to the gardens would be best. We (my DD and myself) ate dinner at Bard & Banker and it was fun. Good fish and chips, too. This time I will be with my DH and he has never been to Victoria before. So finding a nice place will be important. I have heard that Barb's is very good. It was closed when we were there before.

Archived