Houston Instead of Galveston

PrincessE

One of my Roll Call people has a large group coming for the Nov 30th Caribbean Princess cruise.

I will have her come here to the Gulf Coast Departures board for help from locals!

I don't visit the port area often enough to give much advice...

Rick

Hilton Hotel

Kemah Boardwalk Hotel

Others I believe will be motels.

All still will be a good distance to port.

I will take the Bayport Cruise Terminal over Galveston's Terminal #2 any day.

Terminal #2 in Galveston works "ok" for larger ships, but the stars need to be lined up to get the ship docked, unloaded, guests unloaded, incoming guests checked in and loaded. Terminal #2 works more for a 2000 capacity ship. The size of Terminal 2 is small.

I have sailed out of Terminal #2 when it works and when it didn't, I also worked 2 seasons checking in guests for Voyager.

I can't find the link, but read a few days ago that Terminal 2 in Galveston is going to be getting a $10 Million upgrade now that RC is going to be year round.

I can't find the link, but read a few days ago that Terminal 2 in Galveston is going to be getting a $10 Million upgrade now that RC is going to be year round.

Sounds good

I wonder if RCCL demanded it or POG offered it:confused:

I will take the Bayport Cruise Terminal over Galveston's Terminal #2 any day.

Terminal #2 in Galveston works "ok" for larger ships, but the stars need to be lined up to get the ship docked, unloaded, guests unloaded, incoming guests checked in and loaded. Terminal #2 works more for a 2000 capacity ship. The size of Terminal 2 is small.

I have sailed out of Terminal #2 when it works and when it didn't, I also worked 2 seasons checking in guests for Voyager.

Don't forget that several years ago we had 3 ships simulatneously at the docks.

Terminals don't phase me one way or the other. The "great" terminal in Rome (Civitavecchia) is a tent;) And, it is huge working port with freight all over the docks and trucks continuously moving in and out. Everyone must take a shuttle bus in and out of the area and wait in line while freight is brought in and out. Hasn't stopped people cruising from there:)

I believe POG decided on their own.

They turned down Princess when Princess demanded payment of $10M+ to continue docking here.

Interesting

Don't forget that several years ago we had 3 ships simulatneously at the docks.

....yes there were, smaller ships. .....and they used one of the hotels to check in guests for the third ship.

Cruisers don't like waiting in the heat outside, the cold and rain outside during the winter.....and so on.:rolleyes:

....yes there were, smaller ships. .....and they used one of the hotels to check in guests for the third ship.

Cruisers don't like waiting in the heat outside, the cold and rain outside during the winter.....and so on.:rolleyes:

I don't think the Grand Princess is considered a small ship. We sailed them all and never checked in anywhere other than the port. What hotel were they using?

Perhaps if cruisers did not arrive at the terminal before noon or 1pm (when cabins open) there wouldn't be a long wait:rolleyes:

We have never waited in line, in or outside, because we don't go to the pier until after 1pm.

Try waiting in a tent for several hours while a ship is sanitized with no bathroom facilities, heat or air. This didn't seem to faze the cruisers when departing Italy. Didn't bother us either, just part of traveling.

So if we are going to spend a couple of days in the Bayport area when we end the repositioning cruise in November, a car rental might be our best bet for transportation? Does anybody know which companies (if any) have a pick up location at the terminal?

I don't know about this port, but I have been able to arrange for port pick ups with Hertz and Enterprise at other places. Check to websites or just call some of the offices in the area.

• 1 month later...
It may be listed as Houston but the ship actually docks and sails from Galveston. Houston is about 50 miles from the ocean but that is where the major airports are. This is simply a name change

Actually they are two separate ports. The Houston-Bayport terminal is near Pasadena. It routes ships via the Houston ship channel similar to New Orleans.

Archived