Planning to go to Alaska for the first time

wolfjinxangel

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to take a cruise to Alaska for the first time with my grandmother. I haven't booked anything yet. I browsed around but still a little confused. Here's the story: my grandmother is in her 70's and I'm 21. I can't really leave her by herself and I've gone on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas with her couple years ago and we had a great time.

Now I know Alaska will be different. I'm wondering what ships would be best for us since we will be spending a lot of time together. We plan on going sometime at the end of July. Any tips?

I would appreciate it. I am going to go to the travel agency that is very close by and pick up a few catalogs tomorrow but I would appreciate your opinions.

By the way, what is the best way to get to Alaska from Miami? Taking a plane to go to Canada?

Thank you.

Well everyone is different but I will tell you what we did :)

I have been on RC to alaska a couple of years ago and it was very nice. Last Saturday (my DH and I) we got back from NCL Spirit and we enjoyed that so much that I have just booked a 10 day Alaskan cruise on NCL Dream for the end of August! This time we are taking the kids and after the last trip we KNEW we wanted to go on NCL again!

One of the main reason is there Freestyle dinning - being able to eat when WE wanted and where WE wanted was so much nicer than the regular pre-scheduled times. The ship was also very beautiful and the staff was amazing so that helped too:)

I am thinking maybe Grandma might get tired some nights and being able to hit dinner at 5:30 or 6:00 on those nights but then on another night you may both want to eat at 7:00. With the Freestyle, you will not only have the time option but you will be able to choose which restaurant to eat in as well. It was really a nice option to have.

I would also check the different port times, some ships stay for longer times and there may be a port you want to not have to rush at. whatever you choose, I am sure you will both have a great time and some wonderful memories!

Samantha

Were doing a Land/sea package on celebrity 4 nights land 7 nights sea,

Fly to Anchorage, Train to Talkeetna, Bus to denali then back to Talkeetna, Alyeska and then to Seward where we pick up the Summit for a 7 night cruise.

Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan and then wind up in Vancouver and fly home. Our TA recommended doing it this way.

If you are not going to do a land package - I'd look at the Summit, Radiance of the Seas or Serenade of the Seas Vancouver - Alaska and Back to Alaska.

It may be cheaper flying to Alsaka then MIA-YVR

We just returned from Alaska after cruising on the ms Amsterdam (Holland America Line) and it was perfect.

For the money and the itinerary, it can't be beaten by any other cruise line. The ships are not so large that you get lost in the crowd and I believe you and your grandmother would love it. Also, look at the large staterooms and compare those with the other ships.

If people tell you that HAL is just for old people, then they weren't on our cruise. All ages from nine months to 80 plus-- wonderful people having a great time. If you want free dining, eat in the Lido on HAL. Don't get why people would choose a whole cruise for waiting in line for a table in free dining:confused: but food isn't that important to us anyway. The total experience is.

Look at HAL and I can tell you that you won't be disappointed. Their ships are awesome.

You need to determine, how much time you have and my opinion only, if you go with a cruisetour, you need to consider at least a 7 day add on. The above 4 night suggestion is way too much time in transit and probably the undesirable Natural History tour. Denali park is exceptional and the highlight for most, go with at least the Tundra Wilderness tour.

A 7 day round trip cruise is an excellent adventure packing a lot into 7 days. For a first timer, a ship naturalist is a big plus, meaning HAL, Princess, Carnival. All the lines have similar passengers, no party ships yet to Alaska. Look at routing, round trip Seattle sailings do too much outside passage sailing for my preferences, round trip Vancouver- ideal. Look at ports, time in port, route, glacier, price. Budget fully for some great excursions. Do your homework, the more you know the better your selections will be for you both!!! :)

I think you really need to look at itinerary, time at port, etc. when making your decision. I think all cruiselines have pluses and minuses in terms of on board activities, average age on board, quality of food, etc.

I also agree with the previous poster that HAL isn't only a cruise line for those with one foot in the grave. I went on two HAL cruises to Alaska, once when I was 16 and once when I was 23, and I never felt like I was too young for the ship or that the passengers were too old for me. This time around for a different feel and since I like RCI, I am going on Serenade of the Seas.

There are some really well established lines in Alaska with a long history such as Princess and HAL, but thats not to say that the other lines dont do a great job either.

I think you need to do your research and determine what is most important for you and your grandma in terms of the things you'd like to do while in Alaska, the ports you'd like to see, even the glacier you'd like to see. Keep in mind that a very limited amount of ships go to Glacier Bay, so if that is a consideration for you, then that could be a decision maker.

Lastly, just read these boards and keep an open mind about what you're reading. People will, of course, have their favorites, but there is plenty of information you can gain by just lurking around and reading other people's opinions.

We did our first NCL cruise in about 20 years. We were on the Star to Alaska 5/22-5/29. We had an AF mini suite. We loved it. We had my dad with us and he will be 92 next week. There were lots of people of different ages, but I don't know there would be a ton of nightlife for you. We loved the ports and I believe your gram would like the ports and especially the train ride in Skagway. The NCL leaves from Seattle, and to me, it was easier/cheaper to get to than Vancouver.

We have sailed on HAL, RCCL, Celebrity, and NCL. I loved the freestyle dining, wish other lines did that too. Whatever cruise you choose, I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Katie

I just booked our cruise today!

We're leaving July 15th from Miami to Seattle. We're booked on Celebrity Cruise and the name of the ship is Mercury. It's beautiful when I went to the website to see what it looks like.

We have an ocean view room on the Panorama Deck.

Here's our itneraries:

depart from Seattle

- Juneau, Alaska

- Skagway

- Hubbard Glacier

- Ketchikan

- Prince Rupert, BC

Arrive to Seattle

We get back July 22nd. Celebrity even let us book our airfare together so it'll make it easier for us.

We are so excited! Now all I have to do is look at the Shore Excurisions to see what would be best to go to with my grandma that doesn't require so much walking. She really wants to see the wilderness.

Wow that was quick. Are you talking about July of this year, like a month from now?!

The Celebrity Mercury is a nice ship. I haven't been on her personally, but saw her in port twice while I was in Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale.

I think that Celebrity will be perfect for your grandmother. Its so nice that you're doing this so that the two of you can travel together!

Consider doing the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad in Skagway. Its extrememly popular. No walking involved, except getting to the train, which comes and meets you just off the gangway of your ship!

Then its off into the "wilderness." Great views from the car of the train. I think you're grandmother would enjoy that.

Also, maybe consider whale watching in Juneau. Its an amazing experience.

Have a great time!

Archived