Suggestion for Non-Water Related Excursion

cruzeluver

We will be heading back to St Thomas in April. I believe this will be our fourth time going. We are actully doing two back-to-back cruises with different ports each week. We have a number of plans for water-related excursions (snorkeling, diving etc.) in several of them and are looking for something to do in St Thomas that does not involve getting wet!:p

We are middle aged but very active. We would be up for something adventurous or cultural as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I think an island tour of St John would be an excellent idea. With no beach stop you would have much more time than most folks to see the rest of the island. Yould also see the beautiful bays during the cruise of course. And Cruz Bay is a great place to shop, much different (read nicer) than in Charlotte Amalie. If you want that just taxi to the Red Hook ferry and it's a short 15 - 20 min ferry over. Also great spots for lunch.

Just a thought! ;)

If that's doesn't appeal to you there is a new zip line on St Peter Mountain, Parqadise POint is a great spot to relax after shopping, and there is a new ice sculpture exhibit (Magic Ice) downtown that's pretty cool :D

I just watched a Youtube on "Colorful Charlotte Amalie" or something like that, and was surprised to see that the downtown area looks pretty colorful and nice (the Legislature, etc.) Of course, you could also go up the 99 Steps to the view up there and Blackbeard's Castle! I also hear that the Sky Gondola or whatever it's called is worthwhile, although a little pricey. It's very close to Havensight Pier. Then again, blue water's suggestion to go to St. John sounds good to me! I plan to do that if I ever get back to St. Thomas. (We're going in a few weeks on the Summit).

The tour of Blackbeard's Castle properties is very popular. Lots of history.

The Magic Ice Gallery in town is the only one of its kind in the Caribbean.

You can take an island tour of St John and see historical plantation ruins. The cab drivers at the dock on St John offer them every time the ferry lands on St John during the day.

Meant to say you could see the beautiful bays of St John while you tour the island, not cruisethe island.:p

The "Skyride" is a tram/gondola car that takes you to Paradise Point. Not expensive, you can buy tickets at your excursions desk for about $18pp roundtrip. You can also drive or taxi up and Paradise Point itself is free. Our fav spot for a drink and the view after a long day.

Cruzeluver I assumed you've already seen most of the St Thomas attractions and that's why I thought an island tour of St John would be something different. Everyone does the Cruz Bay and Trunk, Honeymoon, or Cinnamon Bay beach day and short island tour, but very few cruisers actually have the time to see the north and east areas and have lunch at Skinny Legs. Just an option if beach time isn't part of the day...

But let us know what you've already seen. If you haven't really seen the East End of St Thomas or shopped at Tillett Gardens, for example, you may want to rent a car and see those areas of St Thomas. On one of our cruises to St Thomas I had pre-arranged a tour with a private guide to see the areas we hadn't experienced yet. We hadn't really seen the East End up to that point (Red Hook, Secret Harbor, and Sapphire). We had just flown into St Thomas and hopped over to Tortola where we stay. But since seeing more of St Thomas we've started staying at the Sapphire and enjoying St Thomas too. And renting a car to explore St Thomas (or St John) is a great way to spend the day.

The Ice Gallery looks great to me; thanks for the link! Does anyone know how much it costs? I couldn't find that on the web site, which I think was their official site.

Looks like the Sky Ride is now $19.

I know the original poster isn't interested in more wet stuff, but if anyone has been to both Turtle Cove and Buck Island, I'd love input on my recent thread!

The Ice Gallery looks great to me; thanks for the link! Does anyone know how much it costs? I couldn't find that on the web site, which I think was their official site.

Looks like the Sky Ride is now $19.

I know the original poster isn't interested in more wet stuff, but if anyone has been to both Turtle Cove and Buck Island, I'd love input on my recent thread!

$20pp for Magic Ice, we spent about 20 minutes there and you get 1 free rum shot and a souvenir glass.

Archived