Schwerin Question for Rostocker

dd57

I was looking at your excellent website for instructions for how to get to the castle in Schwerin from Warnemunde and have a question. You suggest getting off at Schwerin Hbf (6th stop), but looking at a map, wouldn't getting off at Schwerin Mitte (7th stop) be closer to the castle? Would I miss something really good to see by not getting off at the Hauptbahnhof?

Thanks for all your help.

I was looking at your excellent website for instructions for how to get to the castle in Schwerin from Warnemunde and have a question. You suggest getting off at Schwerin Hbf (6th stop), but looking at a map, wouldn't getting off at Schwerin Mitte (7th stop) be closer to the castle? Would I miss something really good to see by not getting off at the Hauptbahnhof?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi, This question raised its head last year and here is the answer I gave then. Experience has certainly not changed my view, only reinforced it.

There are several reason for my preference of Hbf over Mitte.

Maps can be misleading and in actual fact the walking distance is about the same as the route is not direct..

Mitte is not a nice station! Just two platforms deep in a cutting. The walk from Mitte to the castle is across a very busy shopping centre car park which is not friendly to pedestrians, through a big, modern shopping Mall and down narrow streets with heavy traffic. This is modern Schwerin, like any other town anywhere in the world, not the baroque Schwerin with its romantic castle which you have come to see.

Mitte is a very small station as opposed to Hbf and often there is no-one else to get on/off so you have to be ready, by the door when the train stops. As the stops are so close, about 500m or 1-2mins, this means being ready as the train pulls out of Hbf so one might as well get off there, where the stop is longer and there is no chance of going past.

From the Hbf the walk takes you along a tree lined, lakeside promenade to the older part of town which is traffic-free, much more relaxing. And yes, you would miss the Dom (Cathedral), the Market Square, interesting little shops, cobbled streets, lovely architecture and the best approach to the Castle. The area also has a wealth of nice restaurants and cafes, most with both pavement and indoor seating.

If, after a visit to the castle, you are tired it is a short walk up to the main street for a tram back to Hbf and if you are a little early for your return train there is a nice bakery/cafe with a pleasant waiting area in the station. There is nothing, not even a ticket michine, at Mitte.

I visit Schwerin often and only use Mitte if all I intend to do is shop in the Mall and town centre. I would never use it when visiting Schwerin for pleasure.

Enjoy your day in beautiful Schwerin.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni,

We are a group of 4 and arriving at Warnemunde on May 22 at 9:30.

We would like to go to Schwerin. Is it too much to do Wismar and Schwerin?

I've looked at your website for train information and and can't figure out if we need 2 different tickets - one to Rostock and one to Schwerin.

Would the Meck-Lander day ticket cover both? What would be the cost for 4 of us to travel? Thanks in advance for your help.

Anni,

I've looked at your website for train information and and can't figure out if we need 2 different tickets - one to Rostock and one to Schwerin.

Would the Meck-Lander day ticket cover both? What would be the cost for 4 of us to travel? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

You would only need one ticket, the Mecklenburg Lander Day ticket. A local ticket is only necessary if you depart Warnemünde before 9:00 or if you wish to take the tram from Rostock main station into the City. The cost of a Lander ticket for 4 people is 34 euros if you buy on-line or from a ticket machine, 36 euros from a ticket office.

Schwerin and Wismar is possible in one day but would not give you long in either place, approx 2-3 hours. It does not really matter which town you visit first but I would recommend Schwerin-Wismar-Rostock as the castle etc closes at 6pm whereas Wismar is mostly just outdoor sightseeing.

Given your ships arrival time the first possible train to Schwerin would be the 11.07 from Rostock Hbf (s-bahn 10:02 or 10:17 from Warnemünde)

Arrive Schwerin 12:03

Trains depart Schwerin to Wismar every hour, at 46 mins past the hour, throughout the day. Travel time 35 mins.

Trains depart Wismar to Rostock every hour, at 42 mins past the hour, throught the day. Change in Rostock for Warnemünde. Travel time 1hour 39 mins.

Given a sailing time of 23:59, I would presume a boarding time of 22:00 so the last possible train from Wismar would be 19:42 arriving Warnemünde 21:21.

Hope this helps you to make your plans.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Given a sailing time of 23:59, I would presume a boarding time of 22:00 so the last possible train from Wismar would be 19:42 arriving Warnemünde 21:21.

Hi Ceetee,

That should read 'I presume a boarding time of 23:00 so the last possible train from Wismar would be 20:42 arriving Warnemünde 22:21'

My apologies. I can only blame old age and the early hour!

Anni

Anni,

Hello,

We are booked, via Emerald Princess to arrive in Rostock. According to our TA, our original docking port is no longer Warenmaude.We had booked a tour to visit Scherwin, but our tour operator said this was no longer viable because of the change in docking ports and something about the train schedule of German Railway. Can you clarify? I have included a partial response from our tour operator

... since your ship docks in Rostock, not in Warnermuende, we will not be able to run a tour in neither Warnermuende nor Schwerin. The key problem is the train connection between the Rostock and Warnemuende ports has been taken away as of today with the new schedule of German Railway..... We would have to walk to the bus station and take a bus to the next train station first of all and this is not recommended because it takes extra time for the Schwerin tour for example.

Louise

Hello,

We are booked, via Emerald Princess to arrive in Rostock. According to our TA, our original docking port is no longer Warenmaude.We had booked a tour to visit Scherwin, but our tour operator said this was no longer viable because of the change in docking ports and something about the train schedule of German Railway. Can you clarify? I have included a partial response from our tour operator

... since your ship docks in Rostock, not in Warnermuende, we will not be able to run a tour in neither Warnermuende nor Schwerin. The key problem is the train connection between the Rostock and Warnemuende ports has been taken away as of today with the new schedule of German Railway..... We would have to walk to the bus station and take a bus to the next train station first of all and this is not recommended because it takes extra time for the Schwerin tour for example.

Louise

Hi,

The information given by the tour operator is very confusing as the train service which has been discontinued is that between Rostock Seehafen and Rofstock Hbf., it has nothing whatsoever to do with the train service from the cruise terminal in Warnemünde.

Sorry you have had your plans changed but the fact that your ship docks in the Seehafen (commercial port on the opposite side of the river) would have been known to the cruise company since early last year as port ship movements are all pre-planned.

Not quite sure what kind of a tour you had booked but it is still possible to visit Schwerin independently from the Seehafen, a little more difficult on Saturdays but possible, without going to Warnemünde.

Firstly, most cruise companies run a shuttle into Rostock, at a cost of course, but very convenient. Some run the shuttle into Warnemünde but unless Warnemünde is your destination for the day this wastes precious time.

There is a bus stop just a short walk from the berth with an hourly service starting at 8:23 to connect with the s-bahn to Rostock Hbf. and from there the RE to Schwerin.

The other choice would be a taxi direct from the ship to Rostock Hbf. Cost around 25euros.

If you decide on an independent visit to Schwerin and need any more information, please ask.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Rostocker,

Thanks so much for the info. I would need to think about this, since we are a group of 4. Anyhow, since the docking change, I asked the tour operator how feasible it would be to go to Lubeck instead. Is this something we can pursue within our timeframe and docking situation? And is Lubeck a destination we should even consider?

Thanks for your response.

Hi Rostocker,

Thanks so much for the info. I would need to think about this, since we are a group of 4. Anyhow, since the docking change, I asked the tour operator how feasible it would be to go to Lubeck instead. Is this something we can pursue within our timeframe and docking situation? And is Lubeck a destination we should even consider?

Thanks for your response.

Hi,

I am a little confused as to why your chosen tour operator has this problem with the ship docking in the Seehafen unless they are proposing to use public transport only or intend to start the tour from Warnemünde.

If this is the case then the same problem arises with Lübeck as does with Schwerin, getting from the ship to either Rostock Hbf. (main station) or to Warnemünde.

Lübeck is well worth a visit but to do it by public transport from the Seehafen within your time frame would be difficult. A good tour operator using their own road transport could do it easily.

As you are a party of four the cost of using a taxi from the ship and travelling by train from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin would be quite reasonable, around 20 euros each way for the taxi and 34 euros for a Mecklenburg Lander Day Ticket for four people travelling together. Your time frame would allow for catching the 9:07 from Rostock, arriving Schwerin at 10:03 and having at leat 4-5 hours in the city. Schwerin is very visitor friendly and easy to DIY

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks Rostocker...I think I may ask my tour operator to clarify their thinking on this. I was under the impression, from their e-mails that since we dock at Rostock, the time it takes to get to the train station would cut into our tour time, sicne we would have to take the bus to the train station. I believe, we were originally going to use the trains to get to Schwerin, if we docked at Warnemaude.

• 1 month later...

An additional question: we will dock in Rostock at 8 a.m. on a Sunday in September. Are there any particular train or touring concerns we should be aware of for a Sunday or for September? We are not going to Berlin, am thinking about going to Schwerin as the Castle appears open on Sundays. Leaving port at 8 so that appears to be plenty of time to get to Schwerin and back.

Thanks!

Melissa

An additional question: we will dock in Rostock at 8 a.m. on a Sunday in September. Are there any particular train or touring concerns we should be aware of for a Sunday or for September? We are not going to Berlin, am thinking about going to Schwerin as the Castle appears open on Sundays. Leaving port at 8 so that appears to be plenty of time to get to Schwerin and back.

Thanks!

Melissa

Hi Melissa

As, according to the Port Schedule, your ship is docking at the Warnemünde Cruise Terminal there will be no issues with trains. The weekend services Warnemünde to Rostock and Rostock to Schwerin are exactly the same as weekdays. The castle is open on Sunday. Most tourist attractions, cafes and restaurants are open but, with the exception of those in Warnemünde, shops are closed. You actually have a bonus on Sunday as the Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid before 9am. allowing it to be used from Warnemünde in time to catch the 9:07 from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin Hbf arriving at 10:03. Plenty of time to see everything and be back in time for a stroll around Warnemünde before you sail.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Archived