Imagination, or Conquest Western Caribbean?

crabcracker

Hi all, I'm new to CC boards, however I did lurk a while before finally posting.My DH and I are planning our first cruise, which will be the Honeymoon that has been delayed for 17 years:eek:

We really want to see Jamaica,and it looks like Carnival,or RCL would be the best value for us.Carnival is winning however, as they are having a nice upgrade sale this month,and have good prices in general.

I would like advice from anyone who has been on the Imagination 5 day Western Caribbean recently ( maybe the past year,or less) and your opinion.On the first time cruiser board I was advised to do a 7 day for the first time, but I think 5 days would be O.K. too as long as we get to the ports we most want to see.

I am most interested in your review of the service aboard the Imagination.I know it is a "smaller,older" ship, however if it has been well maintained,and service is good,that won't make any difference to us.We're not real picky people when it comes to cabins, as long as they are clean, we can sleep in the same bed, and the a/c works.Neither DH, or I have ever been on what you would call a "real vacation" since we were kids ( we are in our mid 40's now) so almost anything on a cruise ship will be luxorius to us.:D

Also, do you think the 7 day cruise for other than the obvious ( you get two more days) reasons is better than the 5 day?

The main problem for us with the Conquest is that it leaves from NOLA, and we are near Harrisburg PA, which even though its the state capitol, doesn't rate a really first class airport,:( and all flights to NOLA are connecting.We do however have direct cheapy flights to almost any of the major cities in FLA.I plan to book the flights myself and stay over the night before the cruise and the night after.

Also would like advice as to wether, or not you would use a TA when booking with Carnival, or if its better to go with one of their"vacation planners" directly.

Thanks in Advance for The Help

My first cruise was on the Conquest and I enthusiastically recommend this ship. It may be more difficult for you to get to New Orleans, but it is worth it. Get to NO a day early and enjoy this wonderful city. As for booking, I would try to get as many quotes as possible from TAs. I booked with an online TA because I couldn't find a cheaper price.

We just got off Imagination on Monday, the 4 day iternerary. We had a really good time. As for service, we really loved our cabin stewardess(Sky...upper deck, cabin 93) She went out of her way to make our trip nice...including on the last day when my parents left something behind in the cabin(the were across the hall) she found us to make sure it got returned. We also loved our dining room staff(pride, table 149)...we were with my folks, sister and our 2 children(3 and 5) and Elena especially made dinner a great experience! Everytime she saw us elsewhere, she made the kids feel special!

Is it the newest ship...heavens no...but we had a room with a king size bed, a couch that made a queen and a balcony....and we loved it. Everywhere we looked people were cleaning and painting and making the ship the best it could be.

If there is a dramatic price difference...we loved the imagination....and for our first cruise...4 nights was plenty of time....7 days next time!

Mary Anne

I really liked the Conquest. But if one of the main goals of your cruise is to see Jamaica, I would avoid the Conquest. You stop in Montego Bay, which really is a cesspool. The Imagination stops in Ocho Rios, and you can go to the world famous Dunn's River Falls. (You can also get there from Montego Bay, but you'll be on a bus for about 3 hours out of your whole day.)

If you want a seven day that stops in Ocho Rios, the Victory and Triumph go there and leave out of Miami.

YOu are comparing an older ship vs a newer ship. No comparrisons.

Do yourself a favor and take the longer cruise. the shorter ones are good but the longer ones are better. After allt hese years--you deserve the most.

But the best advice one could offer is do not book your cruise based on a port of call. You are only in that place for a few hours and stuff does happen and the port of call could be cancelled.

The Conquest goes to Montego Bay. (I liked Ocho Rios)

I agree with serene56, do yourself a favor and take the longer cruise. Longer is always better. In Montego Bay check out Sunset Beach, short taxi ride and it is all-inclusive for 20 bucks each for adults, 10 for kids. My 2 DD's and I enjoyed it a lot!!!!!

Archived