Galveston Spring Break Traffic?

keylimepie

For anyone who has cruised out of Galveston during Spring Break, what was the traffic like driving in...bridge backed up, etc...?

Thank you!

It can be backed up and crawling depending on the time of day and direction etc. Most Texas school districts will be off for spring break on March 9 for one week. The following week will be spring break for the state universities. So that is a good time to stay away from the island.

I grew up in Houston and spent many a Spring Break in Galveston. Traffic could very well be an issue for you. Hwy 45 South isn't too bad but the bottleneck getting on to the island would be a concern for sure.

That is why I love traveling in from Louisiana. We get to use the ferry:) and find that traffic isn't as bad as you describe it to be on 45.

We use to drive down on I-45 (because I was afraid of the ferry :p) and found that traffic was always backed up on 45 whether or not it was Spring Break.

It can be backed up and crawling depending on the time of day and direction etc. Most Texas school districts will be off for spring break on March 9 for one week. The following week will be spring break for the state universities. So that is a good time to stay away from the island.

Texas A&M is also on spring break starting March 9.

Spring break traffic on the island is not a big issue relative to cruising traffic.

Traffic to terminal and cruise parking is on north side of island at port and

traffic of spring break is on south side of island at beach of Gulf of Mexico.

Summer has more traffic than spring break weeks anyway.

As you come over causeway to island the exit to Harborside for terminals and parking lots is before exits to go to beach which is in opposite direction of port.

The traffic on the island should not interfere with one another.

Freeway traffic on highways before the island are circumstantial to any issues on freeway.

I45 has had continued major improvements in the last few years with attention to congested areas.

It is better and presently being improved.

It can get congested so travel at smart times.

As you come over causeway to island the exit to Harborside for terminals and parking lots is before exits to go to beach which is in opposite direction of port.

Watch carefully for the Harborside exit as it is easy to pass by it.

Watch carefully for the Harborside exit as it is easy to pass by it.

Yes correct,

and has new large signage near end of causeway over bay

announcing Harborside Dr. and Cruise terminal exit

off to right just past causeway.

Also with picture of cruse ship.

OK, thanks for the heads up regarding the Harborside exit. Will definately make sure not to miss it. I grew up in the area but haven't been over the causeway in years. I can recall Tiki Island then Terminal or Industrial road...or something like that and that's it.

Just discussing when to leave from NW Houston...have a reserved parking spot at BOI Valet. We usually like to board asap but not sure what time that is in Galveston. :) We've always cruised out of FLL or Red Hook on Princess.

Thanks for the help everyone.

OK, thanks for the heads up regarding the Harborside exit. Will definately make sure not to miss it. I grew up in the area but haven't been over the causeway in years. I can recall Tiki Island then Terminal or Industrial road...or something like that and that's it.

Just discussing when to leave from NW Houston...have a reserved parking spot at BOI Valet. We usually like to board asap but not sure what time that is in Galveston. :) We've always cruised out of FLL or Red Hook on Princess.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Usually 10:30 has been earliest

But because of recent national flu bugs

Some ships have been boarding

As late as 12:00.

Ours was 12:00 in January

Not sure that is still happening.

We were unaware of any illnesses on our cruise out of Galveston.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived