Help!!! Trying to get married in bahamas- carnival ecstasy

kobezwife

Hello everyone! HELP HELP HELP!!!

I am hoping SOMEONE can help me understand this process. I have been freaking out all day (and the weddings department is closed). I am going on the Carnival Ecstasy this September to get married while we are in the port of Nassau, the Bahamas. I was planning on having the ceremony planned by independent wedding planners on the island to have more control over the details and then have a Carnival reception back on the ship. Luckily, no major plans or deposits have been made. I was JUST told by the minister that it is required for me to go down to The Registrar's Office in Nassau, in person, once I have been in Bahamian waters for 24 hours. For me, that means I would need to go there on MY WEDDING DAY.

I am distraught. I did not want to see my fiance on our wedding day until I was coming down the aisle. Now, I am worried that we will be rushed and my day will be stressful (i.e. RUINED), instead of the beautiful, relaxing day I thought it would be, We dock in Nassau at 8am and we would have to go to this registrar place and be at the mercy of their speed. Then, we'd have to get over to our ceremony site on our own, since I was planning to arrange charter busses to pick up our guests. I am just so upset and dont know what else to do. When I was planning my wedding through Carnival, they said they could take care of this for me and never mentioned going anywhere on our wedding day.

I am wondering: does Carnival have other connections where they can bypass this rule, or was it just something they neglected to mention about the process? Are there any brides here who have been to the office on their wedding day?

When I look it up online I find nothing but horror stories about how long it took there and what a waste of time it was. I am frustrated because I really dont want to have to get a marriage license in my home state before or after the cruise (what is the point of picking a wedding date, then??) and I don't want to go to that office and potentially be delayed for my own wedding! This is so stressful, does anyone have any advice or insight?

PS> I am already really stressed about this, so PLEEEEASE dont say things like "whats the big deal" or "get over it". I really would just like to hear from brides who have experienced this and their solutions/decisions or any information someone may have about going through Carnival for the paperwork/process. Thanks in advance. :)

I am hoping SOMEONE can help me understand this process. I have been freaking out all day (and the weddings department is closed). I am going on the Carnival Ecstasy this September to get married while we are in the port of Nassau, the Bahamas. I was planning on having the ceremony planned by independent wedding planners on the island to have more control over the details and then have a Carnival reception back on the ship. Luckily, no major plans or deposits have been made. I was JUST told by the minister that it is required for me to go down to The Registrar's Office in Nassau, in person, once I have been in Bahamian waters for 24 hours. For me, that means I would need to go there on MY WEDDING DAY.

I am distraught. I did not want to see my fiance on our wedding day until I was coming down the aisle. Now, I am worried that we will be rushed and my day will be stressful (i.e. RUINED), instead of the beautiful, relaxing day I thought it would be, We dock in Nassau at 8am and we would have to go to this registrar place and be at the mercy of their speed. Then, we'd have to get over to our ceremony site on our own, since I was planning to arrange charter busses to pick up our guests. I am just so upset and dont know what else to do. When I was planning my wedding through Carnival, they said they could take care of this for me and never mentioned going anywhere on our wedding day.

I am wondering: does Carnival have other connections where they can bypass this rule, or was it just something they neglected to mention about the process? Are there any brides here who have been to the office on their wedding day?

When I look it up online I find nothing but horror stories about how long it took there and what a waste of time it was. I am frustrated because I really dont want to have to get a marriage license in my home state before or after the cruise (what is the point of picking a wedding date, then??) and I don't want to go to that office and potentially be delayed for my own wedding! This is so stressful, does anyone have any advice or insight?

PS> I am already really stressed about this, so PLEEEEASE dont say things like "whats the big deal" or "get over it". I really would just like to hear from brides who have experienced this and their solutions/decisions or any information someone may have about going through Carnival for the paperwork/process. Thanks in advance. :)

I don't have an answer for you about your issue, but I wanted to let you know that there is a wedding section on these boards, so maybe go there and do some searches? You might be able to find an answer to your question.

I also wanted to mention that getting married in port while on a cruise is a little risky, IMHO. What if the cruise itinerary is changed? Are your arrangements refundable in case you miss the port? I know Nassau is not one that is usually missed (like many of the tender ports) but since you are cruising in September your itinerary could get changed due to a hurricane.

We were on the Carnival Dream and missed Nassau due to hurricane Isaac last year.

I don't say this to make you freak out. But I wanted you to think about it NOW rather than later when you maybe wouldn't have time for back up plans.

Maggie

I also am now looking to get married in the Bahamas at Nassau. We actually are going to the courthouse here in Ga and "signing the papers" for our legal marriage but then having, what we consider, the wedding in Bahamas. This is to avoid the 24 hr residency requirement and the courthouse stuff. Just a thought.

While you're waiting for others who have personal experience with this, here was my initial thought. Cruise lines typically offer some sort of assistance (what this is may vary by cruise line and by port -- we did this part on our own since it was close to home) in obtaining your marriage license if you book your wedding through them. They typically do not offer this assistance when you book through an independence wedding planner at one of your ports. This may be the explanation for differences in the information you're getting from the minister vs. what you got from the cruise line.

There is no way I'd consider doing what the OP is trying to do. I've had ports cancelled on two of my last three cruises. Once due to terrible weather (in the Bahamas) and once due to no reason other than the ship decided to skip a port without notice to get to overnight in a previously unscheduled port instead.

When ports are cancelled, so sad, too bad. They owe you nothing, and they have every right to cancel them for any reason.

Booking a wedding in a port that isn't the embarkation port is beyond risky.

Hey there, Not sure if you've booked thru carnival or thru an independent planner? Is the minister someone your bringing with you or lives in Nassau? Not sure if this is helpful info or not, but we're booked to be married in St Thomas, my independent wedding planner will arrange the transportation to the courthouse for us, Separately if we want so we don't have to see each other. We booked St Thomas since you can "sail in sail out" with no required residency time on the island, what are the Bahamian rules for this?

I remember reading that some countries had an extra fee you could pay to "rush" the paperwork so you don't have to stay that long. Maybe Carnival does this, or maybe they are able to work around it if the ships home part is Bahama?

If you've booked private Ide be emailing/calling them and asking just how the process works and what they can do for you. Maybe worth a call to Carnival and ask if they still have time to book you thru them if you feel that will be less stressful.

Sorry I don't have clear cut answers, just what Ide do if I was in your position.

Good Luck, :)

Well, good news!

I contacted Carnival weddings and they go through Royal Ocean events. They said that we would NOT have to visit the registrars office on our wedding day if we go through them! The only problem is they charge basically DOUBLE what the other company that I wanted to use does. Sigh. :)

So now I have to choose between paying several thousand dollars more to enjoy my wedding day VS. saving several thousand dollars and spending the morning of my wedding in a bahamian office. LOL

Oh, the joys of wedding planning.... :)

I agree with the poster who suggested getting married before you leave home, and having a symbolic ceremony in port. I would not like paying several thousands of dollars more just to get married at a certain port. Many, many people who get "married" in other countries to this, to avoid all the hassle.

I used to do business in The Bahamas, you don't want to take a chance with their officials (and the cruise line changing their schedule). I would follow the other suggestions and have your legal marriage elsewhere and have a reception onboard your cruise.

This is the exact reason we decided to get married on the Paradise leaving from Tampa instead. I want a destination wedding and not an embarkation wedding, so we are getting married when we are in port in Grand Cayman as they do not have a time frame that you have to wait before getting married. The entire package costs $2,225 and it is only $350 extra to have The Wedding Experience get the marriage license for us.

And for those who are saying that we could miss port, yes that can happen. Anything can happen like a fire in the engine room on the Triumph. But you plan for the best and when the worse happens you just say, oh well and move on. I don't want to get married before the ship leaves and then have a 'symbolic' ceremony on Grand Cayman. Just not the same.

Good luck to the OP, and don't worry about naysayers. You have the wedding you want and have fun!

This is the exact reason we decided to get married on the Paradise leaving from Tampa instead. I want a destination wedding and not an embarkation wedding, so we are getting married when we are in port in Grand Cayman as they do not have a time frame that you have to wait before getting married. The entire package costs $2,225 and it is only $350 extra to have The Wedding Experience get the marriage license for us.

And for those who are saying that we could miss port, yes that can happen. Anything can happen like a fire in the engine room on the Triumph. But you plan for the best and when the worse happens you just say, oh well and move on. I don't want to get married before the ship leaves and then have a 'symbolic' ceremony on Grand Cayman. Just not the same.

Good luck to the OP, and don't worry about naysayers. You have the wedding you want and have fun!

When is your wedding date? I'm so excited for you!

• 2 weeks later...
Great suggestions! It's a stupid decision to have to make but paying thousands more is just silly to me...

If you are considering get legally married at home first, you should check back in with Carnival about their prices for vow renewals. They will do the same thing as a wedding, but for a lower cost. A friend of mine was going this route and they even agreed not to tell her guests it was a vow renewal (i.e. the only people who need to know are you and your spouse).

If you go with Carnival and your port gets skipped or what have you, they will make sure your wedding still happens and you won't be out thousands of dollars with no wedding to show for it, the way you will if your port gets delayed or skipped while booked with an independent company. Weddings are stressful, regardless. Make sure you factor in the peace of mind you get with going through carnival as you consider the price differences.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm getting married on the Ecstasy on 9/2/13 in Nassau. So excited! 6 months to go!

Gotta be honest, though, all of these mishaps with the ships are rattling my guests a bit. Sigh! LOL

So just wondering if you ever found any other reviews of brides being married on island? I can't seem to find any and just wanted to have some in sight. It's getting closer! :D

RedkenMeCrazy,

I've had a ton of luck typing in "Orange Hill wedding" into the search menu (upper right hand corner). There are some pretty recent ones and have some very good information. Of course, I always felt like I needed a little more LOL, but hopefully they help you. I am also still in the planning stages although we're just a few months away, so I'd be happy to give you any info I can as well. Good luck in your planning; I know how frustrating or intimidating this can be :)

gurl,

u got less then 6 months left :) as a sept bride i know.. Lol. Ur gonna have a wonderful wedding and who is suppose to be there will be.. I had a couple of mines worried too.. But its all good.. I will be happy with those that do show, and there will always be something that can go wrong, but oh well..just keep smiling and know u are about to marry your dream partner and nothing or no one else matters.

congrats to you and i wish yall all the best.. Do u bride *+*,

i'm getting married on the ecstasy on 9/2/13 in nassau. So excited! 6 months to go!

Gotta be honest, though, all of these mishaps with the ships are rattling my guests a bit. Sigh! Lol

• 2 years later...
If you are considering get legally married at home first, you should check back in with Carnival about their prices for vow renewals. They will do the same thing as a wedding, but for a lower cost. A friend of mine was going this route and they even agreed not to tell her guests it was a vow renewal (i.e. the only people who need to know are you and your spouse).

If you go with Carnival and your port gets skipped or what have you, they will make sure your wedding still happens and you won't be out thousands of dollars with no wedding to show for it, the way you will if your port gets delayed or skipped while booked with an independent company. Weddings are stressful, regardless. Make sure you factor in the peace of mind you get with going through carnival as you consider the price differences.

Glad I saw this post. I've been wondering if Carnival would keep it hush hush of the vow renewal and make it seem like we weren't married prior to our cruise.

I know that if you book a full wedding package through Carnival and plan to get legally married beforehand, you have to send them your marriage license in advance. The Wedding Experience (who does the ceremony) sends you a "symbolic waiver" form and on the ceremony outline you can check a box that says something to the effect of "our guests do not know we are already legally married". It makes things so much easier and nobody has to know you already went to the courthouse!

We booked a vow renewal for our wedding (we wanted an at-sea ceremony) on the Pride and the coordinator was willing to change the wording of the ceremony if we wanted to reflect that it was our wedding not a vow renewal.

Honestly, I'm surprised that CCL hasn't started at least legally marrying couples that are having ceremonies in foreign ports before they leave their embarkation port. Other lines (particularly Disney) does this so that if the ship can't dock, you are legally married and they can provide an alternative ceremony--even if it is on the ship.

Edited by Carnival_Brides