Phone calls from the ship

CruisinPaul

It is ridiculously expensive, yes something like $8 per minute. If you must make phone calls, I think the cheapest thing to do is wait until you are in port, buy an international calling card, and use that.

Last cruise, it was 9.00 from the Mexican Riveria area, I heard someone used their laptop which had a internet phone program and used it... with that you are only using the Internet package rate, from .40 a minute to .75 a minute.

I've been reading here for a while to get ready for my cruise, but I just registered today so I could post to this thread and relate my experience. I sailed the Sensation in May and had a very pleasant cruise. BUT, do not use those ship phones unless it is absolutely necessary. Sometime around the middle of the cruise I got terribly homesick (was cruising with 3 other ladies). I inquired about the phones and was told that it was something like 7 or 8 dollars a minute. I thought "well, what the heck - I'll keep it to a minute or so - just check in and see if everything is ok at home". First time I called, no answer. Called again - no answer. Waited about 30 minutes and called again - no answer. On the 4th try, hubby answered, we talked about one minute - just long enough to ask if everyone was ok, I love you, bye. Went to check my account on my S&S card the next day, and that 'short' call cost me $94.15!!!!! Calls are made by satellite and you are charged whether the party answers or not! Most expensive call I've ever made! So, try not to use the ship phones - lol!!!

My thoughts exactly I used the phone and on the card it said 7.99 a minute so I timed the call from when they picked up the phone at home till when I hung up was exactly three minutes.. next day at the pursers desk they inform me it was a 43$ call!!! They charge from when you dial first number to when you hang up so if it takes the satellite awhile to connect you are still charged!!! That info is NOT on the card by the phone...best bet is to use the internet service much cheaper!!!

Archived