I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

Jack: Thank you for posting such a marvelous review! We did this cruise back on Feb. 14-28, 2010. I dare say ours was maybe, maybe as good as yours.:) One of the best we have ever taken, for sure!:) It was a great pleasure to relive it through your wonderful writing style. My wife and I are going to dig out our pictures and video and refresh our memories some more as we have a reunion cruise of sorts with our Antarctic gang from here on Cruise Critic in Feb. One caveat that you may appreciate, it will be an Eastern Caribbean on the Equinox. No parkas required. Only beach attire. Again, thanks for doing this, it was fun reading all 17 pages the past few days.........

Jack: Thank you for posting such a marvelous review! We did this cruise back on Feb. 14-28, 2010. I dare say ours was maybe, maybe as good as yours.:) One of the best we have ever taken, for sure!:) It was a great pleasure to relive it through your wonderful writing style. My wife and I are going to dig out our pictures and video and refresh our memories some more as we have a reunion cruise of sorts with our Antarctic gang from here on Cruise Critic in Feb. One caveat that you may appreciate, it will be an Eastern Caribbean on the Equinox. No parkas required. Only beach attire. Again, thanks for doing this, it was fun reading all 17 pages the past few days.........

Glad you enjoyed it. By coincidence, the headline in USA Today yesterday was "Cruise Ship Stranded in Ice in Antarctica." While the Russian ship was basically a research ship with only about 20 tourists onboard, it did bring back some memories for me as well.:)

Enjoy your warm weather cruise!

Jack

Can't help you with the link, but can wish you a happy new year and safe travels. Waiting for your next review.

Happy New Year to you as well. Next review probably in August. we took a year off from cruising to do a few land based tours. Next up a trip to Australia on either Carnival (our first) or Celebrity (our third).

• 5 months later...

While hubby has been slaving away on his work laptop this afternoon and evening I have been re-enjoying some of your fantastically hilarious reviews. :)

After hearing me laugh over and over he will be reading them too.

Thank you! :D

Being the loving, giving wife and all, ;) I booked Infinity last year for the trio of cruises that starts in Buenos Aires, down to Antarctica. He really wanted to go, I really didn't. We will board Infinity 2/14/2015.

I really, really, really hate cold.

Thank you for the wonderful entertainment your reviews are. :)

While hubby has been slaving away on his work laptop this afternoon and evening I have been re-enjoying some of your fantastically hilarious reviews. :)

After hearing me laugh over and over he will be reading them too.

Thank you! :D

Being the loving, giving wife and all, ;) I booked Infinity last year for the trio of cruises that starts in Buenos Aires, down to Antarctica. He really wanted to go, I really didn't. We will board Infinity 2/14/2015.

I really, really, really hate cold.

Thank you for the wonderful entertainment your reviews are. :)

We did the same cruise but on Azamara Quest...you will love it...it's all hot except for the few days in Antarctica...Falkland Islands was warm for us!!! Remember it's their summer!!!

One of our stops on the tour was at the Casa Rosada or Pink Palace as it is known. The Palace is located in the middle of town and sits across from the very famous Plaza de Mayo, which, according to sources in the know, is in negotiations to be sponsored by Hellmann's.

My experience with our tour guide trying to teach me to articulate it reminded me of my lessons in speaking "Southern" when I first moved to Atlanta:

Language Instructor: "OK, we'll start off with the word y'all - which is a Southern pronoun. Now you try and say it."

SailorJack: "Youse."

Instructor: " No, not quite. The word needs to be both singular and plural and it has an apostrophe in it. Try again."

SailorJack" "You'uns."

Instructor: " Closer - now try one more time - Y'all."

SailorJack: "Y'all."

Instructor: "Perfect! Now try grits - which is a traditional Southern breakfast food."

SailorJack: "Cream of Wheat."

Instructor: "Ever thought about moving back up North?"

OMG, thanks to whoever brought this thread to the 1st page again! I hadn't seen it before, and just spent several minutes reading through your opening message - every last word! Was (mostly) LMAO, but also awed by your occasionally serious descriptions! :D

So Sailor Jack, in your honor I have a couple of related observations to relate! :D

Firstly, since you mentioned Mayo - it reminded me of the little known fact that the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo is actually related to cruising - kinda sorta!

The history of Cinco de Mayo actually goes back to the days of the Titanic. Little known facts, many Mexicans love their mayo, and the Titanic was actually carrying a load of it bound for Mexico (following its scheduled stop in New York.)

Of course, when the Titanic was lost, so was the entire load of mayo - prompting many Mexicans to lament the "Sink-o de Mayo." Their anquish was so great that the government decreed a day of mourning, celebrated every year on the 5th of May, the date that the Titanic was originally scheduled to dock in Mexico to unload its precious cargo of mayo! :D

OK, the previous story may be somewhat fabricated, but the following is true! When I was graduating from college in Nebraska, I had an interview trip for a potential new job in Dallas. I checked into my hotel the night before, and when I went down for breakfast the following morning, the waitress at the hotel restaurant offered a choice with breakfast that this midwestern guy was unfamiliar with - "would you like that with hash browns or grits?" I confess, at that point in life I had actually never heard of grits, so I inquired as to what the heck she was talking about. I'm thinking that she wasn't going to have a successful future career in marketing - when I asked her what grits were, she stopped to think for a moment, before giving the best explanation she could come up with: "Grits are kind of like cream of wheat - only gritty." (I chose the hash browns!)

Finally - any good southerner knows that the word y'all is NOT both singular and plural, its strictly singular. The plural is "all y'all!" :D

OMG, thanks to whoever brought this thread to the 1st page again! I hadn't seen it before, and just spent several minutes reading through your opening message - every last word! Was (mostly) LMAO, but also awed by your occasionally serious descriptions! :D

So Sailor Jack, in your honor I have a couple of related observations to relate! :D

Firstly, since you mentioned Mayo - it reminded me of the little known fact that the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo is actually related to cruising - kinda sorta!

The history of Cinco de Mayo actually goes back to the days of the Titanic. Little known facts, many Mexicans love their mayo, and the Titanic was actually carrying a load of it bound for Mexico (following its scheduled stop in New York.)

Of course, when the Titanic was lost, so was the entire load of mayo - prompting many Mexicans to lament the "Sink-o de Mayo." Their anquish was so great that the government decreed a day of mourning, celebrated every year on the 5th of May, the date that the Titanic was originally scheduled to dock in Mexico to unload its precious cargo of mayo! :D

OK, the previous story may be somewhat fabricated, but the following is true! When I was graduating from college in Nebraska, I had an interview trip for a potential new job in Dallas. I checked into my hotel the night before, and when I went down for breakfast the following morning, the waitress at the hotel restaurant offered a choice with breakfast that this midwestern guy was unfamiliar with - "would you like that with hash browns or grits?" I confess, at that point in life I had actually never heard of grits, so I inquired as to what the heck she was talking about. I'm thinking that she wasn't going to have a successful future career in marketing - when I asked her what grits were, she stopped to think for a moment, before giving the best explanation she could come up with: "Grits are kind of like cream of wheat - only gritty." (I chose the hash browns!)

Finally - any good southerner knows that the word y'all is NOT both singular and plural, its strictly singular. The plural is "all y'all!" :D

Glad you enjoyed the review.:)

Loved the Sinko de Mayo story!:D

I think grits are an acquired taste. We had never had them before we moved to Georgia but wound up a fan.

Actually there are three tenses for y'all:

When speaking to one person - "Y'all"

When speaking to two people - "Both Y'all"

When speaking to more than two people - "All Y'all"

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

• 2 months later...
Fantastic reviews laugh out loud. You seem to have a British sense of humour.I have spent all day reading our reviews. I go on my first cruise with my DH and DD next year and can not wait.

If I have a British sense of humour it is because most of my teachers in Vancouver were from England. Of course, Jill has a different word she uses for my humour, but.....

If this is indeed your first cruise, then I envy the excitement you must be feeling. I remember the first cruise we took with fond memories. While each cruise brings its own excitement, nothing replicates the first one.

Bon Voyage!

Jack

Actually there are three tenses for y'all:

When speaking to one person - "Y'all"

When speaking to two people - "Both Y'all"

When speaking to more than two people - "All Y'all"

You forgot the possessive tense...y'allses. I kid you not.

You are right! I almost forgot that one. My first exposure to that one was when we went out to Lake Lanier for a picnic shortly after moving to Atlanta and a very nice lady came up to us and asked, "Is that y'alles picnic table over yonder?" We had left our cooler on the bench while we played Frisbee and she was looking for an empty picnic spot.

I need to add that one to my "Learn to Speak Southern" dictionary.:D

Jack

So Sailor Jack what is your next adventure? We have a few lined up and hoping maybe you will be on one of them

Oct 13th TA Infinity B2B ending with the 8 day caribbean cruise

Jan 10th B2B on the Summit

Then we are going to try Cunard for the 1st time Feb 19th Queen Vic from San Francisco to Sydney.

Say Hit to Sailor Jill Sherrill Ontario Cruiser:)

Jack, your review the Dream/nightmare was the funniest review I have ever read. Who would think a garbage barge could cause so much trouble. I loved your line about you and Sailor Jill having to become citizens of Uruguay. What an adventure!

Glad you enjoyed it. We had a lot of fun sitting around the pool each day tallying up what happened during the day. Clearly one of the upsides to everything was our extended stay in Uruguay. On the second day we did a stop a winery that was so good that we still buy a case of it when we are in a state that carries it (sadly it is not distributed in Georgia :( )

So Sailor Jack what is your next adventure? We have a few lined up and hoping maybe you will be on one of them

Oct 13th TA Infinity B2B ending with the 8 day caribbean cruise

Jan 10th B2B on the Summit

Then we are going to try Cunard for the 1st time Feb 19th Queen Vic from San Francisco to Sydney.

Say Hit to Sailor Jill Sherrill Ontario Cruiser:)

Good to hear from you again, Sherill. Your trip on Cunard sounds great. We did a Vancouver to Sydney cruise a couple of years back and it was quite memorable.

We have nothing booked yet, but hope to sail in October roundtrip from LA to Tahiti and Hawaii.

Jack

Sailor Jack, thank you for entertaining me during lunch. Other than the other guests in the restaurant thinking I was a little off, when I would laugh out loud at your review, it was truly an amazing read. Thanks again.

You are most welcome. I enjoy writing the reviews and it is nice to know that others enjoy reading them.

Jack

SAILORJACK,

What a fabulous Trip Report...

The humour is truly what makes it stand out from the rest we see here on CC

Humour that is clearly Canadian. In the same vein as Stephen Leacock, Farley Mowat, Don Harron (Charlie Farquharson), Rex Murphy and Rick Mercer.

You might want to consider it as a side-line career... As you do have a real knack for writing (you should think about doing a collection of cruise stories in a book)

Thanks for the chuckles... And literally taking me along on your trip... As it is pretty sure that I'll never convince Mr Sloop to head off to Antarctica.

I will now bookmark this page, so I can read your adventures from other cruises.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Jack, I would love to know the wine you like from Uruguay. It could be my big chance to impress my boyfriend. He loves wine. It's too bad I am so clueless.

The winery is Vinedo de los Vientos and, while they make several great wines - both red and white - our favorite is their red Tannat. It is a grape that is rarely grown in the US and is unique in taste.

That said, their best wine is a desert wine called Alcyone. In all my years of drinking wine it is the best I have ever had. It is almost addictive! We can't buy it here in Georgia, but stock up on both wines when we are in Florida.

Now for the bad news - you can't buy it in Texas either. The winery is a small boutique winery and has limited production - therefore limited distribution here in the US.

Jack

SAILORJACK,

What a fabulous Trip Report...

The humour is truly what makes it stand out from the rest we see here on CC

Humour that is clearly Canadian. In the same vein as Stephen Leacock, Farley Mowat, Don Harron (Charlie Farquharson), Rex Murphy and Rick Mercer.

You might want to consider it as a side-line career... As you do have a real knack for writing (you should think about doing a collection of cruise stories in a book)

Thanks for the chuckles... And literally taking me along on your trip... As it is pretty sure that I'll never convince Mr Sloop to head off to Antarctica.

I will now bookmark this page, so I can read your adventures from other cruises.

Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed it. By the way, the Beach Boys version of your screen name is one of my favorites.

Jack

The winery is Vinedo de los Vientos and, while they make several great wines - both red and white - our favorite is their red Tannat. It is a grape that is rarely grown in the US and is unique in taste.

That said, their best wine is a desert wine called Alcyone. In all my years of drinking wine it is the best I have ever had. It is almost addictive! We can't buy it here in Georgia, but stock up on both wines when we are in Florida.

Now for the bad news - you can't buy it in Texas either. The winery is a small boutique winery and has limited production - therefore limited distribution here in the US.

Jack

Do you know if I can buy Viñedo de los Vientos in Ft. Lauderdale? It would be fun to take it on our Celebrity Eclipse TA in April.

Do you know if I can buy Viñedo de los Vientos in Ft. Lauderdale? It would be fun to take it on our Celebrity Eclipse TA in April.

I can't help you there - I am not familiar with Ft. Lauderdale. I know most people get their wine there at Total Wine and Spirits, but I don't think they carry it. However, they have very knowledgeable people there and I am sure they can recommend a good wine for you.

Jack