Dining on the Zuiderdam - Upper or Lower

MikeInPgh

A co-worker just returned from a cruiseon the Westerdam where they had a table near the windows. She said that people walking by on the promonade would stop and look in to see what was for dinner.

We are scheduled for the upper dining room, second seating, but are now rethinking this.

Any opinions of the upper vs the lower dining room?

Mike

When I sailed on the Zuiderdam we had 8 pm dinner, upper. We were not seated next to the windows, but I do understand what your friend is talking about if you were. One option is there are curtains that can be drawn if you are uncomfortable. I would call your TA and just ask for a table away from the windows.

upon entering the upper dining room our tables were immediately to the left - and while we noted a lot of people walking by (mostly exercising... it amazed us how many times on the same night we'd see the same person walking or jogging past) i can't recall a single instance of anyone standing - and looking-in - to see what we were eating.

We had an upper table by the window and nobody stared at us, it was just uncomfortable. Now we sit downstairs by the window and enjoy the beautiful wake view.

Candy <-- will have same table in August

From my experience dining on both the lower and the upper on the Zuiderdam, I would choose the lower only to avoid the possibility of being seated in the area of the forward upper dining room that has all the tables in a row ala Sonny's Bar-B-Q style : difficult to get in and out of your seat and difficult for the waitstaff to service in this area.

So, yes, I would prefer the lower dining room.

Dewi1972

Vista class ships - lower level dining room - there is no way that you could have seen people getting blown around in the wind!!

The lower level dining room on all the Vista class ships is on the Lower Promenade Deck - walk around there.

The walk around area is on the Promenade Deck - Upper Level part of the dining room.

Check your disagrams!

We have sailed on the Oosterdam, Westerdam, and the Zuiderdam.

We were on 05/28 Zuiderdam, Upper level. We did notice people walking around, never made me feel uncomfortable. I was able to have a little view of the water as well. Would take the table again in a heart beat.

I would suggest lower level dining. There is an unobstructed view of ocean and nobody looking in at you eating dinner. The views are best when you sit at the aft part of the dining room.

:pWe had a table for six next to the windows, upper level. It was a spring break cruise, and some folks walked everyday with their childrenon the Promenade deck while we were dining. It would have been a lovely family scene had the kids not been allowed to literally press their noses to the glass and make faces at dining passengers.

From my experience dining on both the lower and the upper on the Zuiderdam, I would choose the lower only to avoid the possibility of being seated in the area of the forward upper dining room that has all the tables in a row ala Sonny's Bar-B-Q style : difficult to get in and out of your seat and difficult for the waitstaff to service in this area.

So, yes, I would prefer the lower dining room.

We encountered the same thing on the "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic in 2004..Our table was next to the Window on one side & the rail on the other side..The tables were crowded together, we could not move & the wait staff could not get behind us.:( A times some of us received cold food..We also noticed that the people who were seated in the lower dining room at the later seating were being served & getting out of the dining room at the same time we were..

After three days of feeling like "sardines in a can" our entire table asked to be moved to the lower dining room..We were much happier & had better service there.. :)

I much prefer the lower dining rooms...

I mean, you can't make a grand entrance on those great staircases if you're in the Upper Dining Room! ;)

Oh yes, and I also prefer the unimpeded wake views from the aft windows...

BTW - it is kinda strange taking an after-dinner stroll on Lower Promenade Deck and being watched by folks finishing their dinner - so I wave at them...

:D

We had upper dining room on the Oosterdam in Feb. WE had a nice table on the upper rail near the stairway. Table 86, an excellent location.

Brian, we didn't get to make a grand entrance on the stairway, but on formal night we did EXIT down the stairway and out!:)

Archived