Choosing Cruise Dates based on Mediterranean Weather

sulin

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping some experienced Mediterranean traveler will be able to help. We have narrowed our Mediterranean Venice cruise down to two choices.

RCI "Serenade of the Seas" departing Barcelona Sept. 28, 2013

OR

same cruise departing Oct. 22, 2013

The cruise leaving the end of Oct. is about $500 cheaper, but I understand that the weather gets increasingly rainier and cooler the later in the season you cruise. Can anyone let me know if there is any significant difference in the weather between these two cruises. What typical weather can we expect for these times?

We don't necessarily mind the cooler weather, but don't really want to be facing rain almost every day. Thanks for your help!

I did an October cruise in the Mediterranean last year and the weather was lovely - certainly less warm than cruising in the summertime, but very comfortable weather for sightseeing and much less crowded everywhere we went than it is in the summertime. And far fewer children on board because they are in school.

I've cruise in the Mediterranean three times. First was a transatlantic in early November that left from Barcelona, went over to Villefranche and then to Malaga before heading into the Atlantic. Weather was lovely.

Same with a mid October 2 week Eastern Med cruise. Couldn't have been better.

An early April Eastern Med cruise was good, too.

In other words, you never know for sure.

As Bruce's reply. But day-to-day weather can vary.

Blueblock was lucky & had good weather in October. If he'd gone in September he may have been unlucky & had poorer weather.

But on balance the chances of good weather in Sept are better than Oct.

And your dates are late in those months.

Western Med tends to stay drier and I doubt it'll be too hot at the end of September. But that too is in the lap of the gods.

I'd probably go for September if it's eastern Med, mebbe the $$$$ would tempt me to risk October for western Med.

JB :)

With OP stating Venice, I'd be afraid of the October timeframe. Never know for sure when agua alta will begin.

Neat website for anything on Europe

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/acqua-alta.htm

We went the 22 of October a few years ago and it was great until the last 3 days in Venice and 2 days in Paris. We had 24/7 rain all 5 days. Really put a damper ;) on the end of the trip.

Have a great time in Europe!

Where do you live? I live in the northern US. we have variable weather, often cool...plenty of precipitation. So when we went to the Med in late fall( three times), we were perfectly content touring with jackets, occasionally an umbrellas. It was better weather than home:D. OTOH, somebody from a warm or dry clime might have thought it cold or yucky.

I use the travel planner on wunderground.com to check typical weather when planning my travels. Plug in cities and a rough date range, and out comes average temps and such. I am not sure how accurate the precipitation entries might be (or not).

Archived