Denali to Whittier

msweeble1

Thanks I did see that site but did not see a train from Denali all the way to Whittier. Unless you piece the 2 together. I thought that Princess might have a special train they just run that was outside of the normal schedule. Thanks for your help.

Sharon

where did you find info on this train from Denali? I also saw a post on the Princess boards about the train. But no info as of yet. Can you help out? thanks

We booked a land tour before our cruise. We will be on the Denali Express from Denali to Whittier. You could check the Princess Cruise Line.

Debbie

Yes this is the cruise contracted train. My opinion only, the Denali /Anchroage section is long and repeative. Certainly some nice scenery but not a lot in my opinion. I like breaking up this route with an overnight in Talkeetna. The most scenic portion of this route is definately Anchorage/Whittier, but it's only 2 out of the 10 total hours. :(

If you go via the regular Alaska RR, you will need an overnight in Anchorage, since it is two separate trains.

Princess, according to their brochures, etc., is now (this is the first year) running their own charter train all the way from Whittier to Denali and v.v. I've yet to see anything posted regarding what the schedule is although I'm guessing northbound it runs about three hours behing the scheduled AKRR service and southbound I'd guess 4 to 5 hours ahead of the AKRR service.

Also, since I see Princess still includes rail between Denali and Fairbanks on some cruisetours that they are also still running their own cars on the scheduled AKRR service as in the past since I cannot see any way that a schedule for their direct Whittier-Denali service could be extended to/from Fairbanks and have it operate at a reasonable hour.

Anyone who had done a Princess cruisetour this year that includes their "Denali Express" or whatever they call it, please post some details of the schedule you followed.

Scenery to Whittier is very impressive. To Seward was even better,but most ships are not going there. I'n on Radisson Mariner and that was the last time RSSC was using Seward. Their charter train,the Grandview,made it's last run on Wed. and will now go to Whittier. There are charter runs all over the place. Alaska RR runs a Whittier train in the am, but the Denali train arrives in Anchorage in the pm. Most of the charters run out of the new train depot at the airport which is used only for charters.

Archived