Dolphin Hijack!

k2

I cannot believe what I just heard! I tried to book swimming with the Dolphins in Cozumel (much cheaper direct than through the cruise-line) and was told NO GO! They explained to me that they have a new agreement with Carnival that all customers must book through Carnival and cannot book directly!!! I said what if I just book online and she said that it will not go through. I explained that I had done this in the past, and she explained that this was new. So in other words... pay the cruise-line rate or do not go! What in the world is that????? :eek: :mad:

Yea so not happy... I may just say on the form that I am cruising RCCL.... How will they know? I just don't want to get caught and charged the up charge once we get there.... the price difference is significant as they offer sales directly!

How would they differentiate between you and a person visiting Cozumel on a conventional land vacation?

most tour operators/providers have a blackout date and time. If multiple ships are in port, they will only honor cruise pax. Most likely, their site is set up to prevent anyone booking outside the cruise line

Yea so not happy... I may just say on the form that I am cruising RCCL.... How will they know? I just don't want to get caught and charged the up charge once we get there.... the price difference is significant as they offer sales directly!

Just don't bring a Carnival towel if you fib. I heard someone on our ship say they were turned away when it was found out they were with Carnival- because of their towels. The tour provider does not want to risk losing that contract!

To the OP: this isn't new (though it may be for this place). Excursions have been blacking out cruise passengers and only allowing them to book through the ship since my first cruise, which was '08, and surely before then too.

Before you tell them that you are cruising on RCCL and/or NCL, be sure one of their ships is in port that day, and also, keep in mind, the hours differ between the ports.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Not sure I'd want to risk that, if, say, RCCL is there two hours later than CCL

I saw the same thing when I booked. I just went to expedia and found the name of a hotel nearby in Cozumel and input that as where I was staying. Dont let Carnival push you around.

How would they know anyway that you are off a Carnival Ship if you dont tell them?:D I'm going on March 29 I will report back if I have any problems.

I would be rather hesitant to lie. If they were to ask to see your s&s card for the cruise line, as proof of which cruise you are on...you will be up a creek. I would bite the bullet and just pay Carnival if you really want this excursion. I paid for it for my daughter in 2011 and she loved it, so its worth it...for me it was anyway.

Had this issue in Tortola on our Dec. Breeze cruise. Wanted to take the kids to swim with the Dolphins but the price was crazy high! On Black Friday Dolphin Discovery had a 50% off sale (booked my 2 kids for $100)! I booked directly with them, the online form asked if we were a cruise ship guest and I said no and then it asked for the Hotel name where we were staying.

We got off the ship, took a taxi to Dolphin Discovery and had no issues at all, they even asked us about the cruise and said many people book directly. I know it's not the right thing to do, but the prices Carnival wanted are just way too much for me.

Just back from a cruise on Carnival Dream and I booked for four of us outside the cruise line. I booked online through the Dolphin Discovery website. and said that we were staying at a local hotel. There were several on our cruise that did the same and we had no problem. No one questioned us when we checked in, just took our paperwork and gave us our bands. Saved us a fortune!

So, do they pick and choose the excursions?

We just booked an excursion in Tortola that is offered through Carnival, but is sold out. We had no issues. AND, we get an extra hour on the beach and saved $180 for our family. Odd.

What excursion on Tortola are you planning? We booked our cruise too late, so the one to Jost Van Dyke is sold out.

I was just looking into a dolphin encounter for our cruise next year. There will be 7 of us and the prices that Carnival is trying to charge is just insane!!! When I called Carnival to question them about this, they tried to tell me it isn't them it's the company running the excursion. Really??!! I can't believe that every single company in Grand Cayman and Cozumel are not willing to take a reservation from someone coming in from a cruise ship and Carnival has nothing to do with it, when they are marking the excusions up. It's just really frustrating that they would do this, it just doesn't seem right.

Guess if I can't figure a way around going through Carnival we won't be swimming with the dolphins :(

You can book at Cozumel Insider as they have a don't ask don't tell approach. Carnival admits that it is their contract and they do it with various venders. I am not sure if I would take the risk. Others just lie and put a hotel down. I heard of one person getting turned away when they saw the Carnival towel... Carnival must be giving them a heck of a kickback to get them to turn down money!:eek:

I booked an ATV tour with a third party vendor and they came back and denied my booking because Carnival/Princess has an exclusive with the ATV company. Even though the company accepts drivers 16 and above Princess only allows 18 and above, so we could not book with Princess. I called the company directly and spoke to a manager and asked if I could just book directly with them. He said they could lose their contract. When further pressed he said they will check cruise cards and hotel key cards to verify where you are coming from.

I have done this before. And if they would have asked to see my key I would have told them that another family had it. It is crazy that cruise lines sometimes marks up the price by 50%. If it were only a few dollars more then I would pay but not at there markups. Plus I like doing my own for crowd control. I dont like being herded around like cattle.

Archived