Supermarket near Port of Tampa??

mississauga

I don't know of any grocery or liquor stores near port in Tampa. If you're coming from the Tampa airport area, there is a Total Wine at 275 & Dale Mabry, and a Wal-Mart across the street from that. I would have your cabbie stop en route - again, depending on where you're coming from.

Important: you cannot purchase alcohol until after 11 a.m. on Sundays... at least in Pinellas County where I live (Clearwater, St Pete, etc.). I think it's the same for Hillsborough County (Tampa), but not positive - perhaps someone here can confirm that.

I don't know of any grocery or liquor stores near port in Tampa. If you're coming from the Tampa airport area, there is a Total Wine at 275 & Dale Mabry, and a Wal-Mart across the street from that. I would have your cabbie stop en route - again, depending on where you're coming from.

Important: you cannot purchase alcohol until after 11 a.m. on Sundays... at least in Pinellas County where I live (Clearwater, St Pete, etc.). I think it's the same for Hillsborough County (Tampa), but not positive - perhaps someone here can confirm that.

Thank you and especially for reminding me of the Sunday restriction. I had forgotten that. Guess we should find somewhere near the hotel the night before.

There is a Walgreens near the intersection of Westshore Blvd and Kennedy Blvd. This is right off airport property. They do sell wine. You could then continue down Kennedy Blvd right to the port.

location and hours - http://www.walgreens.com/locator/walgreens-4651-w-kennedy-blvd-tampa-fl-33609/id=3743

Wine selection - http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=wine

:)

There is a Walgreens near the intersection of Westshore Blvd and Kennedy Blvd. This is right off airport property. They do sell wine. You could then continue down Kennedy Blvd right to the port.

location and hours - http://www.walgreens.com/locator/walgreens-4651-w-kennedy-blvd-tampa-fl-33609/id=3743

As usual you are a great source of information. Thank you. You gave me this resource on another thread and I will now certainly go to Walgreen's on Saturday now that bailey57 has reminded me about the restriction on Sundays.

I started this thread as a just in case for Sunday but now realize that even if there were stores close to the port, it would not help as far as wine buying.

Just my 2¢, but I wouldn't consider Kennedy & West Shore "on the way" to the port - it's definitely not the easiest or shortest route from TIA. Of course, if we knew where they are staying, I'm sure we could suggest someplace close to that for saturday "stocking up"... :)

Just my 2¢, but I wouldn't consider Kennedy & West Shore "on the way" to the port - it's definitely not the easiest or shortest route from TIA. Of course, if we knew where they are staying, I'm sure we could suggest someplace close to that for saturday "stocking up"... :)

She said the airport area and this is the general airport area. Personally, I would want to avoid any huge grocery stores and especially any on Dale Mabry Hwy.

She can make up her own mind. If she is using a taxi, the meter time will be substantially shorter by running in/out of Walgreens -vs- a busy, crowded grocery store. I was just trying to be helpful.

If you have any better ideas, then why don't you contribute them to the OP ? I'm sure she is open to all suggestions.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm sorry, I wasn't arguing... just trying to help. What can I say - I'm a Libran - efficiency and balance matter. :)

So that said, I see your point and agree about access and easy-in / easy-out - definitely DMH isn't the simplest...

No worries. Perhaps if the OP tells us where she's staying we can help further; if not I'm sure Walgreens will work just fine for her. ;)

I'm sorry, I wasn't arguing... just trying to help. What can I say - I'm a Libran - efficiency and balance matter. :)

So that said, I see your point and agree about access and easy-in / easy-out - definitely DMH isn't the simplest...

No worries. Perhaps if the OP tells us where she's staying we can help further; if not I'm sure Walgreens will work just fine for her. ;)

As I posted earlier, Walgreens will work out fine for Saturday. Regardless of where we are staying, it won't work on Sunday as you reminded us that stores will not be selling wine on Sundays in the morning. We like to get to the port early so won't be shopping after 12 noon....lol.

Hoosiercouple and bailey57, thank you both for all your help!

No, I didn't mean it like that either. It is so hard to read the tone on a message board. It's all good, the more options the better. Travelling in a new and unfamiliar port city is tough. :)

I just know with that meter running it will tap-her-out if she hits a grocery store with a long check-out wait. Sometimes Walgreens will let you pay at the Cosmetics or Photo counter. If they have two, one could get a place in line while the other runs to gather their items. I don't think that anyone in line would mind knowing that they had a ticking-taxi waiting on them.

Also, I'm pretty darn sure that Tampa sells wine after 11am on Sunday as that is the time that Tampa Wine Design opens for business on Sunday. This is the wine store located right across from the port of Tampa. I am just assuming that if they open at 11 am than they would be ready for sales.

Archived