new to carnival...old cruiser

seadog92

I've heard so much "bad" stuff about Carnival, that I'd like the opinion of those that have been on the line. I've been on Norw, Celeb, RC, Holland and a few others that no longer exist. The last one we were on was Holland, and the median age of cruisers had to be 15 years my senior, and I'm 58! We were looking at the Conquest out of New Orleans, mainly because I understand that the ship is decorated with an art theme. But I'd like to know if Carnival is really the "party" ship I've heard about? Is there a balance? If I love RC, will I like Carnival? I'd sure appreciate any and all opinions. Thank you.

Seadog

First of all , Welcome aboard!

To answer your question about the atmosphere I'll say this. There is as much party as you want to be part of. there's also as much peace and quiet as you want. The characterization of Carnival cruises as ships filled with roaring drunks, wild teenagers and screaming children is just plain wrong. If you want to party and do things with other passengers you will have plenty of chance to do that. If you want to lay out on deck, drink iced tea, read a book, and talk to no one; you can do this too. Cruises in the summer and during spring break tend to have a younger median age and are a little livelier. I've taken cruises in the fall where the median age was older than me (46).

Carnival ships have a wonderful cross section of America from all socio-economic levels, ages, and all situations in life. Try it you'll have fun.

No, not a big party boat in the least.... Unless you hit Spring Break and the college kids are on board. And the one time I sailed during that time, while a lot of partying going on, it was not obnoxious. It was actually rather humerous. :)

Overall though, Carnival is far more family oriented than most cruiselines, except for Disney.

True... :) Lots of people having fun, joking around, etc. One HAL devotee trying to rain on everyone's parade, but failing miserably. Instead, we're having even MORE fun at his expense! :D

So yes, please go through the thread. You'll find a bunch of people who just like to enjoy themselves.

Seadog92 - Kevin T and Pirate are absolutely right! I have had a lot of fun on the cruises I've been on (all Carnival so far), and there is any kind of fun you feel like having to be had, IMHO. :) (Tumeroll is right too, but not the way he thinks he is! :p )

My wife (62yrs) and myself (66) have been sailing Carnival for 5 cruises and have 2 booked. We both enjoy a good time and good company. We sailed this past March during spring breat. We took our 2 Grandsons on their first cruise. Spring break ment a boat full of children. They had a ball and so did we.Ther is so much to do and so many quiet places on the ships that you can always find what you are looking for. We have found the service consistently good as is the food. The shows are pretty much all the same and after seeing them a couple of times they are just alright. By all means try CArnival and see what you have been missing.

Seadog, welcome to the boards.

For the most part, the "partyhardy" Carnival image is gone. Even on my first Carnival cruise in 1987, I didn't see it. I've been on NCL and Princess, but most of my cruises have been on Carnival ships....and I'm a happy cruiser. For the record, I'm just over 60, solo-cruiser, and female. I have not been disappointed with my Carnival cruises. Always something to do - or nothing at all if I feel like solitude. I can always find a quiet spot on deck to sun, read, and enjoy an adult beverage.:) I always enjoy my dinner companions, and try to be seated at a large table for livlier conversation.

I think if you stick around this board, you'll find that MOST everyone is a Carnival fan. There are posts here and there from the naysayers, but you can judge for yourself. Sometimes people are expecting the ideal vacation, and if one or two small things go wrong, they get very upset. I cruise mostly for relaxation, but I enjoy some of the activities on board.

The food is wonderful, and as retired F&B Director for hotels, as well as a long-time caterer, I know good food!:) I think they do an excellent job all around. I have all three meals in the dining room, as I'm just not a buffet fan; however their pizza is extraordinarily good! In the dining room, if you don't care for what you've ordered, there's no problem sending it back for something else, and of course, you may have multiple entrees, etc. Cappuccino and espresso are served complimentary in the dining room. The service is excellent - all over the ships. Carnival's cabins are the largest, and the stewards are great.

The two production shows on every cruise are very entertaining, so don't miss either of them. I don't go to the other shows, i.e., comedians, etc., so can't say about those. Most seem to enjoy them as well.

Anything particular you want to know, just ask.:)

O.k. we'll I am a youning only 27 and my view on Carnival is that I went on it thinking it was a party boat and it wasn't. I thought I was going to see people in hallways party hearty and all over the place but there were none. I guess the ideal of partying is the waiterers in the dinning hall and such. I do have to say that I enjoyed the cruise and I'm sailing again but I think people of all ages enjoy it. My mom went with me (53) along with my DH's mom and not once did they turn there nose up. I had to actually go find my mom who was in the disco partying (I sure hope my dad doesn't read this) but anyway if you are looking to be laid back which we were because she had to keep coming to get me out my stateroom (I truly loved the balcony) or if you want to explore the boat and try a little everything the choice is yours but I honestly think Carnival is for those that are open minded and looking to have funny. If your noise stays in the air and you hate all aspects of people living life to the fullest Carnival is not for you.

I've heard so much "bad" stuff about Carnival, that I'd like the opinion of those that have been on the line. I've been on Norw, Celeb, RC, Holland and a few others that no longer exist. The last one we were on was Holland, and the median age of cruisers had to be 15 years my senior, and I'm 58! We were looking at the Conquest out of New Orleans, mainly because I understand that the ship is decorated with an art theme. But I'd like to know if Carnival is really the "party" ship I've heard about? Is there a balance? If I love RC, will I like Carnival? I'd sure appreciate any and all opinions. Thank you.

OMGoodness - I have not read any further than your post and I want to tell you that a group of 38 of us sailed the Conquest in February of this year. There were two 16-YO girls, one couple in their 30s, 7 couples in their 40s, 8 couples in mid to late 50s, 2 couples in their 60s and 2 couples 75-81 years old! We all had a great time and loved the ship, the food, the ports, the service and the FUN!!!!! All of us are doing an all-inclusive together Feb 2006 and another group cruise in 2007...and it WILL be Carnival for us all and it was decided unanimously. Our service was impecible and you will enjoy her. There is fun for all ages here......Loved that ship and will sail her again.....

There are some GREAT pictures of art on the ship..here is one of my favorites: http://community.webshots.com/photo/292036335/292036335nzZBgq

I agree with everyone here and the Conquest is a wonderful ship. We loved her so much the first time we are sailng her again. My husband and I are in our early to mid 40's and my brother in law and sister in law are in their mid 50's. You can't beat it for cost and the quality of the food you get. I have heard some bad things about the food in the Monet dining room but only good things about the food served in the Renior - not sure why - but if you decide to go ask for the 2nd or 4th dining time - that will get you the Renior.

My self and about 80 close friends took the Conquest in October of 2004. All ages and all had a wonderful time. If you've never been to New Orleans before I recommend arriving a minimum of one day early. For pictures my review of trip you can go to our group site. But the main thing to do is enjoy yourself. I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi fellow Cruisers:

We too have sailed Celebrity,Princess,Norwegian,Carnival , & Royal Caribbean. We are booked on the Gory for 12-03-05 which will be our 25th cruise. We have sailed Carnival 14 times and have never had a bad experience. Its not quite as upscale as Celebrity, Princess or a few more of the mainstream lines but they give you a good valve for the buck and have some of if not the largest stardard outside rooms or balcony outside in the industry. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida

Sounds like a bunch of fun loving folks, just like my wife and I. I guess we're going to take the plunge and take the Oct. 2nd out of New Oreleans. Always wanted a good fried oyster po'boy.

I appreciate the candidness, and if any of you are on board the conquest that cruise, I hope to meet you.

Now you're talkin'! Acme Oyster House, Felix's Oyster House, or Pontalba Cafe make the BEST fried oyster po-boys in the Quarter. If you go to Maspero's (tourist trap), you won't get a good one, I ga-ron-tee. Enjoy! (I'm a native New Orleanian.) SO much to see and do in our wonderful city, I definitely think you need a day or two before or after your cruise. And don't miss the beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe duMonde.:) Go to the N.O. port-of-call forum for lots of info.

I agree with everyone here and the Conquest is a wonderful ship. We loved her so much the first time we are sailng her again. My husband and I are in our early to mid 40's and my brother in law and sister in law are in their mid 50's. You can't beat it for cost and the quality of the food you get. I have heard some bad things about the food in the Monet dining room but only good things about the food served in the Renior - not sure why - but if you decide to go ask for the 2nd or 4th dining time - that will get you the Renior.

38 of us ate at the early seating in the Monet and we had not ONE SINGLE complaint in 7 nights!! The food and service was fabulous. Dinner at the POINT was equally as good (not as rushed) and the fried Blue-point oysters at Sur Mer were fabulous............mmmmmm

I guess it depends, but cannot imagine the food being THAT different in the dining rooms....

Now you're talkin'! Acme Oyster House, Felix's Oyster House, or Pontalba Cafe make the BEST fried oyster po-boys in the Quarter. If you go to Maspero's (tourist trap), you won't get a good one, I ga-ron-tee. Enjoy! (I'm a native New Orleanian.) SO much to see and do in our wonderful city, I definitely think you need a day or two before or after your cruise. And don't miss the beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe duMonde.:) Go to the N.O. port-of-call forum for lots of info.
Damn you Cotton..... Making me miss New Orleans even more. Had plans to visit over New Year's Eve this year, but unfortunately had to cancel. :(

One of my favorite cities too--Boston comes in a close second as far as being very "walkable".

Don't forget to get a muffaletta at the ol Progress Grocery, and a cold beer in a brown bag next door!;)

Got to go to Pat O'briens for the dueling pianos--Is Eddie still around? What a story!

:D Kevin, I have two words for you......plane ticket!

Glad you love my city so much. Like this place, no other.

I love it. If it wasn't for the potential of hurricanes, I'd retire down there when the time comes..... :D

What you prefer the Windy City Blizzards?? (I know I should talk :rolleyes: )
Let's see here.....

Freezing weather and snow as compared to gale force wind and rain.

Being above sea level when it rains as compared to being below sea level when it rains.

Chicago wins in a breeze. :D

I think you have to try it for yourself. Carnival has a very loyal legion of fans and they offer a product that makes a lot of people happy.

You will see a difference CCL vs HAL and Celebrity in terms of decor, service and ambiance. HAL and X are more low key and elegant and attract less families and kids. They are definitely quieter - a positive for me but not for everyone, I know.

I think X has the best food of the mass market lines.

I agree that HAL caters to the senior crowd, but then they always have. My HAL cruises were really boring.

CCL is much more casual than the rest, IME, more along the lines of NCL.

I found Conquest class (Glory) to feel very crowded compared to any other ship I have sailed. I hear Spirit class is much different.

I don't think you can make a general statement that if you love RCI, you will love Carnival. I am an RCI fan, especially Radiance Class which is more in line with the X experience. For me, Carnival is too casual and the food, activities and service are not what I look for. I read many posts where people say they - RCI and CCL - are very similar but that has never been my experience.

I think you have to check them all out for yourself. What is one man's pleasure is another man's pain.

Archived