Ladies Only question about the Spa Salon

SailBabySail

In all my life I have never had a massage or other type of spa treatment. Mani-pedi yes but that's it. I think I would like to indulge and get at least a massage on our upcoming cruise. For those of you ladies who have done this could you tell me what to expect? Also can you give me some idea as to how much the salon charges? Any suggestions are appreciated. Could be the weather but everything just seems to hurt and I think a bit of pampering would help.

I have indulged in many spa services during my cruises, as well as visit a local spa regularily and I would suggest if you have never had a massage to try a 50 minute Swedish massage which is gentile and relaxing. Deep Tissue, Bamboo, Stone, and Thai Poutice massages may be a little rough for a first timer and could leave you with sore muscles or produce a detox reaction due to quickly releasing toxins from the muscles which may make you feel a little funky for a couple of days.

A nice treatment if you want a little more than a massage is a 75 minute Lime & Ginger salt glow which is an exfoliation treatment followed by a Swedish massage. On my recent cruise on the Pearl the cost for this treatment was $199 plus 18 % tip. A 50 minute Swedish massage was $119 plus 18 % tip on sea days and the cost a little less on all treatments on port days.

Although a bit more pricey than local spas, IMO the ship spas are very nice and the therapists are very professional and very skilled in the treatments they perform. Just be aware therapists are under pressure to sell products, so if you are not interested purchasing products just note on the form you fill out before your treatments that you are not interested in purchasing products and this will usually ward off the sales pitches.

Enjoy your cruise :)

I agree, as a veteran spa goer, stick with the swedish massage. Hot stone is probably ok (its very nice, but does have a deeper probe to it) and certainly avoid the deep tissue massage, you'll be sore for days. I also agree that the sales pitch is high pressure and really annoying, IMHO, so don't be shy about telling them you do not want to hear the sales pitch, at the beginning OR the end of the massage. Scrubs are really great, but don't get any of the wraps, they're weird and would probably be a bit much for a first timer. Enjoy, you will love it!

On my cruise last October I turned 50. I went to the Spa for a Pedi and got the hot stone massage on my legs as well - really nice. The funny part is when she started her pitch for the products - she of course asked my age - this girl (as well as most folks) could not believe I was 50. I told her apparently my skin regime was working fine - not another word about products the rest of the appointment!

Just be prepared to spend about 2.5 times what you would spend on land. I go regularly and the spa on the SUN was really nice and the masseuse was really nice. I had my first hot stone massage then, it was nice and I thought it was okay. I would rather have a regular massage though, just works out more kinks.

Don't be afraid to try one! Also go on a port day, the spa will have specials and it will be cheaper than a sea day. Book early when you know what the special will be.

Its nice, and you'll be all noodley when you leave :D

There is also another great option - many times they will run a 3 treatment for 60 minutes - something like neck and shoulder, foot, facial, etc. It is a combo that is very inexpensive (around $100-$125) and it will give you an overall tryout. These are usually special offers - check these out in the daily activities info packs usually delivered to your cabin the evening before.

As a "new" veteran to spa services (I only started 4 years ago when I turned 50 and am now addicted) my favorite splurge on the ship (besides the week "spa pass") is the seaweed massage - it is around $200, so pricey - but worth it. Not only do get the massage, you also get the exfoliation, and the seaweed therapy. Of all the different things they love to slather on you, health experts say that seaweed actually has properties that promote toxin removal and improves your lymphatic system.

Make sure you take the spa tour they offer when you embark to see everything they offer.

I have indulged in many spa services during my cruises, as well as visit a local spa regularily and I would suggest if you have never had a massage to try a 50 minute Swedish massage which is gentile and relaxing. Deep Tissue, Bamboo, Stone, and Thai Poutice massages may be a little rough for a first timer and could leave you with sore muscles or produce a detox reaction due to quickly releasing toxins from the muscles which may make you feel a little funky for a couple of days.

A nice treatment if you want a little more than a massage is a 75 minute Lime & Ginger salt glow which is an exfoliation treatment followed by a Swedish massage. On my recent cruise on the Pearl the cost for this treatment was $199 plus 18 % tip. A 50 minute Swedish massage was $119 plus 18 % tip on sea days and the cost a little less on all treatments on port days.

Although a bit more pricey than local spas, IMO the ship spas are very nice and the therapists are very professional and very skilled in the treatments they perform. Just be aware therapists are under pressure to sell products, so if you are not interested purchasing products just note on the form you fill out before your treatments that you are not interested in purchasing products and this will usually ward off the sales pitches.

Enjoy your cruise :)

I agree with all of this advice! Start simple with a Swedish massage. Be prepared for the hard sell for products and additional treatments!

My first spa visit, not at sea, I was being treated by someone else to several treatments and the Swedish massage was wonderful, I should have stopped there! the mud wrap I realized was not for me until after I was covered in mud, wrapped in foil and zipped into what was like a heated sleeping bag. Enjoyable for some but probably not for the novice spa goer like many other treatments that are a little more intense! a Swedish massage will be nice and relaxing!!

Thanks for the prices too - I love the fire and ice pedicure with the hot stones but were hoping to take up the swedish massage this time round. I spent approx $60 on my pedicure and she tried to sell me over $200 worth of products - i declined but I did take on board all the tips she gave me

Thanks Dalgirl and to all :) I have noted all the advice you've given me. It should be interesting at the very least.

There is also another great option - many times they will run a 3 treatment for 60 minutes - something like neck and shoulder, foot, facial, etc. It is a combo that is very inexpensive (around $100-$125) and it will give you an overall tryout. These are usually special offers - check these out in the daily activities info packs usually delivered to your cabin the evening before.

As a "new" veteran to spa services (I only started 4 years ago when I turned 50 and am now addicted) my favorite splurge on the ship (besides the week "spa pass") is the seaweed massage - it is around $200, so pricey - but worth it. Not only do get the massage, you also get the exfoliation, and the seaweed therapy. Of all the different things they love to slather on you, health experts say that seaweed actually has properties that promote toxin removal and improves your lymphatic system.

Make sure you take the spa tour they offer when you embark to see everything they offer.

I agree with all of this advice! Start simple with a Swedish massage. Be prepared for the hard sell for products and additional treatments!

My first spa visit, not at sea, I was being treated by someone else to several treatments and the Swedish massage was wonderful, I should have stopped there! the mud wrap I realized was not for me until after I was covered in mud, wrapped in foil and zipped into what was like a heated sleeping bag. Enjoyable for some but probably not for the novice spa goer like many other treatments that are a little more intense! a Swedish massage will be nice and relaxing!!

I got talked into a Seaweed Wrap/Massage on my Panama Canal Cruise on the Coral Princess and what a mistake. On this ship, after you get slathered with the seaweed mud you are wrapped in a space blanket while you are lying on this massage table similar to a waterbed. Then the therapist pushes a button and you are sucked down into this bed where you cannot move a muscle!!! Being on the claustrophobic side, this really freaked me out, far worse than an MRI!! Needless to say this was NOT a relaxing experience for me, and was put on my never again list :(

Archived