Refurbished OLD Ship

mrsgilomonster

Regarding the age of the ship as others have stated, that shouldn't be a major factor in your decision in booking a certain cruise or not. Its sort of like a car, would you not like to own a 69' Mustang or a Corvette Stingray? Just because its old doesn't mean the experience will be bad or sub par. Older cars like the ones I just mentioned, are much better than the new "cars" of today. I think ALL cruise ships are great, each has that one thing that make it unique and special.

We booked the Sunshine because I believe that they are using this remodel to correct mistakes they made on the Dream. Now I haven't sailed the Dream, but from what I've read it seems that there are some traffic flow problems specifically near the food.

Yes there will be more cabins, but I believe that the new design will make it transparent. The traffic flow will be greatly improved. Also the remodel will include all of Carnival's new features.

Also, to the OP, I would use a Carnival PVP to book your cruise. It will be a seamless experience. It's very clear that your TA is only looking out for themselves and not their customer.

Carnival has changed their commission tiers and structure in what incentives TAs can offer. This has caused some to stop carrying Carnival all together. I wouldn't be surprised if your TA is doing this because the commissions are better with the other lines.

True...and it is also becoming sort of "true" that the product other lines offer may be more appealing to people

Lately the complaints from Carnival cruisers have been pretty overwhelming. My TA also has had a number of people who were pretty dismayed by the recent Triumph reports

Destiny is the oldest ship I've been on and that was in 09. I fully expect Destshine to be as fun as the last one (for different reasons) and can't wait for my Med cruise (even if transportation getting there breaks my bank or just did lol).

Ive been on old ships in the Navy

I was on the USNS Mercy an old converted tanker. It was actually nice compared to the the USS Tarawa when I was with the Marines.

BUt Im not looking forward to the Sunshine. I been on the Destiny and it was over crowded on the lido deck and the small buffet.

Im not saying I wont cruise on her in the future since she will be in NOLA.

But putting more pax on a ship that was already crowded..Good thing we book balconies;)

Any idea what they made on each of those transactions and what they would make now?

Agree..very hard to be a good Travel Agent now..and survive and be totally open on every product offered..the whole game has changed with the net..and a really good travel agent is worth their weight in gold..in all potential problems.

Is anyone reluctant to book a cruise on Carnival Sunshine because of its age regardless of the refurbishment? Everyone I speak with refers me to a RCI cruise. Any opinions in this matter?

Nope. I am so excited to be cruising on Sunshine. She's the first ship to have all of the Carnival 2.0 upgrades and will have an amazing Serenity Deck. I have her booked 3 times and since her home is my favorite port, I will likely cruise on her again and again...

The only boat I've said "no" to off the drop was Epic. Just because it looks like it's going to topple over. LOL.

I would definitely think about it if I thought the price was competitive. Especially compared to its sister/step-sister ships.

To tack onto what others have stated...

If you'll review the forums...several months ago Carnival cracked down on what TA's can/cannot do with customers, in essence making it more difficult to promote themselves/make a commission.

I have a friend who is a travel agent and when I pointed out that they did not promote CCL in the same way they were other lines, he said they didn't like CCL as much because it was more difficult to make a commission.

For me, if someone is unwilling to work with me and accommodate my needs/desires... they are not the one for me, as it sounds like they are just looking after their own bottom line. They cannot make as good of a commission, so they are steering you elsewhere. Could be wrong, but that's how it sounds.

I would dump any TA that won't sell Carnival. That is someone looking more after themselves than clients.

I have no idea what Carnival has changed to reduce agent commission, however, TA's need to make money. As much as we like to say they need to put their client first, if the TA isn't making any money there won't be TAs around to utilize. Aha! I think I figured out why Carnival might be reducing commissions!

I see what you're trying to get across there, but I'll turn it around on you. Would you fly on a brand new 787? Brand new plane... terrible problems... you know that whole catching fire thing. Its not the age of the machine that should worry people, but the condition.

I wouldn't vacation on one of those either.

...if the TA isn't making any money there won't be TAs around to utilize. Aha! I think I figured out why Carnival might be reducing commissions!

Unfortunately for the TA's, Carnival does want people to book directly with them and eliminate the "middle man". Carnival can obviously generate more revenue if they don't need to pay the 10-15% commission (or whatever the going percentage is).

Just like budget airlines have done (to conduct most of their bookings directly with the consumer), Carnival, as a budget cruise line, is shifting their business model in that direction as well. That's why there's the ever-evolving booking engine on the Carnival website, the 800-Carnival number, and the biggest thorn on the TA's side: the PVP's (Personal Vacation Planners) which, in essence, are Carnival's army of in-house travel agents.

I am reluctant to book on Sunshine not because it is refurbished but because they are adding cabins to what seemed to be reviewed as an already crowded ship.

Too many people!

However, if everyone comes back and says it has great traffic flow and plenty of space, I might change my mind.

Carnival is unaware of this concept. I absolutely dread walking along the Promenade deck. Between people walking in and out of shops, standing in the middle of the walkway talking, standing at the railing watching what is going on in the lobby, not to mention the room taken up by the photo stations, liquor tastings, watch and jewelry sales,etc the deck is a mess.

Carnival is unaware of this concept. I absolutely dread walking along the Promenade deck. Between people walking in and out of shops, standing in the middle of the walkway talking, standing at the railing watching what is going on in the lobby, not to mention the room taken up by the photo stations, liquor tastings, watch and jewelry sales,etc the deck is a mess.

I've experienced the same thing on most of my cruises, most of which haven't been on Carnival.

I would love to book the Sunshine simply because the Serenity deck has it's own Pool. Although the Spirit class ships have Serenity at the aft pool (our favorite place to spend the days), we sailed the Pride out of Baltimore in February so there was not a lot of opportunity to enjoy it.

We are sailing March 2014 on the Sunshine. The whole family is very excited.

More than just the ship it is your outlook and attitude that a major bearing on your cruise. :)

We are also interested in a March 2014 cruise on the Sunshine. Have not booked yet. Still reluctant.

Is anyone reluctant to book a cruise on Carnival Sunshine because of its age regardless of the refurbishment? Everyone I speak with refers me to a RCI cruise. Any opinions in this matter?

The Fantasy class ships are older than this one, and I will sail on them. So, no I would not be reluctant to book Carnival Sunshine.

Reluctant and defiant, mechanical things break with age.

Destiny's history documented problems are now inherited by Sunshine.

I would love to book the Sunshine simply because the Serenity deck has it's own Pool. Although the Spirit class ships have Serenity at the aft pool (our favorite place to spend the days), we sailed the Pride out of Baltimore in February so there was not a lot of opportunity to enjoy it.

I like the thought of the Serenity Deck having it's own pool as well, but I'm skeptical if it's a "real" pool, or one that is just a couple feet deep that you can only dip your feet into (like a children's pool). A pool with depth requires a pool well into the deck below it, and I'm not sure I see that on the deck plans or they might just be misaligned. In any case I'll be sure to report on that next month when I sail.

Well I was a little leery of booking with Carnival. But my sister and BIL have been on them several times (and they are my traveling companions) so we booked. I originally wanted to go on Disney, but for the cost of an interior room on Disney, I could get a suite on Carnival...

Considering Carnival's mishaps the past five years (three engine fires and a sinking (Costa is owned by Carnival)) and I started doubting... However, Sunshine was in dry dock to be retrofitted... and after Triumph, I assume they will be bending over backwards to make things go smoothly...

Also the itinerary and timing wasn't spring break material... (lot of rumors about that sort of cruise on the other cruise lines boards...)

So in the end I figured, "What the heck... let's book, besides there is only one sea day..."

I like the thought of the Serenity Deck having it's own pool as well, but I'm skeptical if it's a "real" pool, or one that is just a couple feet deep that you can only dip your feet into (like a children's pool). A pool with depth requires a pool well into the deck below it, and I'm not sure I see that on the deck plans or they might just be misaligned. In any case I'll be sure to report on that next month when I sail.

There is empty space on the deck below the pool.

Archived