Juneau - What to do for a good overview of city

Arc12

Hi, I'm having trouble planning my day in Juneau and I came here for some assistance and suggestions. I've been to cruiseportinsider.com and haven't found too much to be of help to me in this particular port. We're going to be there one day at the beginning of June from 7am-8:30pm.

The only thing I know we want to do is go to Mendenhall Glacier. I think we'll take a shuttle there. How long should we allow there? Would we be able to do any hikes in the area at that time of year? Are there any other hikes anywhere else in Juneau that would be accessible to us in June? I know there will be snow, but I'm not sure what our limitations will be.

What else should we do for the day? We're interested in getting a good overview of Juneau - not necessarily in flightseeing, whale watching, etc (we have a few of these booked at other ports). We do want a good overview on what Juneau is like and we're willing to be on the go all day. If we had the opportunity to try beers from the Alaskan Brewing Company would be a bonus before getting on the ship (can be stopping at any bar, just want to be able to try them while we're in Alaska).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what our plan for the day should be?

Borrow an Alaska travel book to learn about all the sightseeing options available in Juneau ( and your other ports). Look at the town web site:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

Consider renting a car. There are only about 50 miles of road in Juneau so pretty easy to get around ... drive out to Mendenhall, visit Douglass Island, drive along the beach to road's end stopping at Eagle Beach, Shrine of St Therese .....

If you just want a tour of the town, do a taxi cab tour for a local's perspective or use a tour companies listed in the town web site. Mighty Great Trips who does the glacier shuttle also has a town tour.

As for hiking at Mendenhall ... winter isn't over yet so you'll have to wait and see what happens over the next few months.

If we had the opportunity to try beers from the Alaskan Brewing Company would be a bonus before getting on the ship (can be stopping at any bar, just want to be able to try them while we're in Alaska).

You don't mention what ship you are on, but Princess has had Alaskan Amber and Alaskan Summer available on all of our cruises. Also, my husband and I enjoyed the Glacier View Bike & Brew, where you do a bike ride near Mendenhall and get to see the glacier from two sides of the lake, then go to the brewery for tasting. I think it can only be booked through the cruise ships. It's also possible to do the brewery tour by taking a shuttle from their downtown store. http://www.alaskanbeer.com/

You don't mention what ship you are on, but Princess has had Alaskan Amber and Alaskan Summer available on all of our cruises. Also, my husband and I enjoyed the Glacier View Bike & Brew, where you do a bike ride near Mendenhall and get to see the glacier from two sides of the lake, then go to the brewery for tasting. I think it can only be booked through the cruise ships. It's also possible to do the brewery tour by taking a shuttle from their downtown store. http://www.alaskanbeer.com/

We're on RCI (Radiance of the Seas).

For the Bike and Brew, did you find you were satisfied with your views or the Glacier or do you wish you had more time on your own? Also, it says you go to Merchant's Wharf for beer. How much was included? We've looked at the tour but really couldn't decided if we wanted to do it.

We're on RCI (Radiance of the Seas).

For the Bike and Brew, did you find you were satisfied with your views or the Glacier or do you wish you had more time on your own? Also, it says you go to Merchant's Wharf for beer. How much was included? We've looked at the tour but really couldn't decided if we wanted to do it.

Must be a different excursion on RCI than Princess. We started near the University, rode to the chapel there and had a little time to look around, take photos, use restrooms. Then we rode to the one side of the lake where the canoes go out. We had time there for photos and snack. (juice and granola bars) Then we rode around the lake to the visitors center area, where we turned in our bikes. We had about 30 -45 minutes at the glacier. Then they took us by van to the brewery where we had a presentation (not really a tour) and time for samples. I think I had 4 samples (3-4 oz each) and I'm not even much of a beer drinker. Then they drove us back to the ship... which is a good thing because I'm not sure I should have ridden a bike at that point. :o

I think we had great views of the glacier and plenty of time, but I had been there before and have been there again since. We had as much time as you typically get with any combo tour that includes a Mendenhall stop. If you want more time for hiking and/or exploring the visitor center, you'd be better off taking the shuttle to the glacier or renting a car.

Maybe someone here can tell you if they serve Alaskan beers on RCI, or ask over on the RCI board.

Then they took us by van to the brewery where we had a presentation (not really a tour) and time for samples. I think I had 4 samples (3-4 oz each) .

This is available free to anyone.

Hi, I'm having trouble planning my day in Juneau and I came here for some assistance and suggestions. I've been to cruiseportinsider.com and haven't found too much to be of help to me in this particular port. We're going to be there one day at the beginning of June from 7am-8:30pm.

The only thing I know we want to do is go to Mendenhall Glacier. I think we'll take a shuttle there. How long should we allow there? Would we be able to do any hikes in the area at that time of year? Are there any other hikes anywhere else in Juneau that would be accessible to us in June? I know there will be snow, but I'm not sure what our limitations will be.

What else should we do for the day? We're interested in getting a good overview of Juneau - not necessarily in flightseeing, whale watching, etc (we have a few of these booked at other ports). We do want a good overview on what Juneau is like and we're willing to be on the go all day. If we had the opportunity to try beers from the Alaskan Brewing Company would be a bonus before getting on the ship (can be stopping at any bar, just want to be able to try them while we're in Alaska).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what our plan for the day should be?

I too would suggest you consider a car rental.

If you truely mean "city", there is an easy walking tour in Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska books to follow.

Mendenhall will have the East Loop trail probably closed, and the Trail of Time, maybe not in the best of shape. The Nugget Falls trail more likely would be open- this takes about an hour.

Thanks for the good laugh you gave me about Juneau being a city. Juneau is a relatively small town and likely will always be small.

I understand it's small, but state capital and importance of it definitively qualifies it as a city. City doesn't have a meaning regarding size, but rather importance based on legal status and history of the place. Juneau has both - city. Population has no real influence.

I understand it's small, but state capital and importance of it definitively qualifies it as a city. City doesn't have a meaning regarding size, but rather importance based on legal status and history of the place. Juneau has both - city. Population has no real influence.

I think you will see what Penny is getting at when you get there. The "city" is hardly worth a lot of time for most people, with the significant beauty outside.

The museum in Juneau is fantastic! Well worth the time spent there. Easy walking distance from ship.

There are two museums, Alaska State Museum and the Juneau Douglas City museum. Did you go to both? If not what one are you referring to?

The state capital also had tours, verify if still operating.

All these buildings are easy walking distance from the docks, with no mobility limitations. It is worthwhile to also make the short detour and walk past the governor's house. Beautiful totem out front.

Archived