What were (are) your misconceptions about a cruise before your first?

tripman

I posted this question in a different area, and realized it may be more fitting for this one instead, so sorry if you've read it twice. I just think it is an interesting question:

Before your first cruise, what misconceptions did you have, good or bad?

For example, I thought that when we left port there would be thousands of people waving like I saw in the movies...I found out it was only the dock workers.

Also, I thought that when I went to the buffet for lunch they were going to want to scan my room key and that I wouldn't be able to come back until the next meal (much like in a college dorm).

I don't know, maybe my first attempt at a fun thread will be a dud...I thought it might be an interesting topic.

When my mom and dad flew to Bermuda years before we cruised there, she told me that hundreds of people came off the ship all at one time. When we did our cruise there, I thought we would have to wait in long slow moving lines to get off the ship. No so! Since it takes about a half hour to 45 minutes for the ship to clear customs, you have no idea when people are first allowed off the ship. So when we got off, it was at a nice pace.

I resisted going on a cruise because I felt I did not want to be rushed on a holiday, you know, do things at my pace. I didn't like the idea of having to be back at the ship at certain time etc.

After my first cruise, I found that I wanted to get back, explore more of the ship, get to dinner and was actually surprised that I really enjoyed the structure of the cruise. So much to do........so little time:rolleyes:

I had visions of elderly people playing shuffleboard or sitting on teak loungers on deck covered by a blanket. Must have watched too many old movies in my youth. Our first cruise was on a Voyager class ship - WOW! Boy was I wrong. I was addicted within minutes of boarding the ship.

I have been thinking about going on a cruise but I think i will get bored too easily. The longest I have been on vacation was when I went to Hawaii and after three days I want to come home. I hate structure and a cruise seems to me like everything is structured. Do you think I can handle being on a cruise? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide of a cruise or to just fly for and take many 3 day trips.

I think I answered this on a different thread, but here goes anyway.

I thought people would be more dressed up, more sophisticated than I. I remember being surprised that the ship was filled with average, everyday people in regular everyday clothing. That was the last time I ever went out and bought a whole new wardrobe for a cruise!

Mysteryman, no one can answer that question for you, you will have to find out all by yourself. Of course, I'm the opposite type of person, I love to travel to different places and I hardly ever want to come home. I find being on a cruise ship fascinating and I never tire of it. Of course, being bored isn't all that bad, either, sometimes we just shut down and really relax on a cruise, nothing wrong with that, given our very structured and stressful everyday lives.

The only thing that's structured on a cruise ship is the time you have to go to dinner, and even with the alternate dining choices on most ships, you can alter that structure. Since I've been on so many cruises, I guess I don't understand why people think they're going to be structured. You don't have to do anything or you can participate in all the activities, and believe me, there are so many activities that there's not enough time to do it all. Maybe this notion of being structured comes from the idea that you're "confined" on a cruise ship. That's probably one of the other biggest misconceptions. Cruise ships are HUGE, and until you've seen one up close, you have no idea how huge they really are. For me, taking a lot of three day trips is a pain---all the packing and unpacking, hassles of going to the airport--sitting and waiting for flights that may or may not be on time, coming home and having to wash the clothes or take them to the dry cleaner, it just doesn't appeal to me. On a cruise, I pack and unpack once, hassle with the airport is minimum, everything entertainment-wise is right there withing walking distance (no driving and getting lost in a strange city and no parking/driving hassles), and interesting ports which break up your time on board. For me, personally, it's a no brainer---it's just easier to take a cruise rather than do a lot of short, land-based trips.

Mysteryman ~ it all depends on what you mean by "structure". I don't understand wanting to come home after 3 days in Hawaii. Were you some sort of tour? Or did you simply get homesick? Was it "Island Fever"? All of these are different reasons.

I find tours extremely tedious because I can't do what I want, when I want. Homesickness is another matter entirely, and there are people who simply cannot be away from home for any length of time - and a cruise will not alleviate that. If what you experienced was "Island Fever" (the feeling of being trapped on the island and unable to leave - and I felt that for about one day when I went to Hawaii), then that might be exacerbated on a cruise.

Yes, there are "lots to do" on a cruise, but it really depends on if what is offered is stuff you like to do. For me, I drink minimally (and prices on the ship are more than you would pay on land, and you don't have any other options), don't gamble, am not into Vegas shows, intensely dislike kaoroke, am not big on trivia stuff, and have long lost the novelty of poolside activities. Therefore, unless there are a lot of port days, cruising is not the best vacation choice for me.

At first I was dismayed at the seemingly limited time in ports, but the time allowed does seem to fit the area. Still, I'm more of a "wanting to spend more time and soak up the local culture" sort of person.

Have you ever done a resort vacation? If so, and you've liked it, then you would probably like a cruise. The two are almost identical. If you really like to go your own way, do your own thing then you might re-consider.

Unlike many others, to find out if cruising might be something you enjoy, try looking into shorter cruises - 4 - 5 days. They are less expensive than the longer cruises and if you truly can't handle being gone longer than 3 - 4 days, this would suit you best. It will also give you a taste of what is on longer cruises. I know by the end of my 4 day cruise, I was chomping at the bit to get off the boat. Unfortunately our sea day was the last day, causing me to remember the cruise as being possibly more boring than it actually was. For me, port days are great, sea days are dull. It really depends on what kind of traveler you are and only you can determine that!

Great idea....

Hmm, I thought we wouldn't like dining with strangers, I was wrong. Thought there would always be tons of people everywhere, all the time....you can get away.

What else...thought I would lay out by the pool, sit on the balcony, read, etc. I rarely sat by the pool, fell asleep on the balcony and didn't even crack my book!

I thought everyone would be much more attractive than me. I lost 20 pounds in 5 months just because I was afraid I would look horrible in my swimsuit the whole time and everyone would be disgusted. Then, I got there, and I wasn't even in my swimsuit the whole time like I thought, because there is so much else to do than go to the pool on the ship or go to the beach in port. And, of course, there were plenty of heavier people. What was I thinking - that it would be a cruiseship full of models? They were just ordinary people like myself. Oh, well...a cruise is a good reason to jump start much-needed weight loss!!

Archived