Do you like to interact with the waitstaff

Next

Which one best describes your persepective?  

310 members have voted

1. 1. Which one best describes your persepective?

• Enjoy interacting & getting to know waitstaff. They are trying to have fun and provide good service.
    • Prefer to be left alone. Just serve the meal. Interactions are just to encourage tipping.

Whenever you post there seems to a be a problem.

Everyone is entitled to their own personal thoughts, myself included.

I do not expect you to agree nor do I care if you do.

No problem.. :rolleyes:

:confused: Hmm, seems to me that cruising isnt really for you, as ex staff from princess i know that there is a lot of interaction between staff and guest, i always loved it as i am a very sociable type. Anyway, like you say, everyones has their own opinions and as long as you have a good time doing whatever you do, fair play to you.

Hey, CruiseYVR, you sound like a lot of fun! When's your next cruise, maybe we could meet up and do something fun together!:D

lol.

Ok I am not trying to come off as an ass. I just like to relax when I cruise. My day to day career is a TA. When I am onboard I do not want talk much, it is simply a personal thing.

Sorry that I came across as a rude person.

While on the subject of the marvelous waitstaffers, how does everyone work tipping in the Dining Room if at all?? Gratuities are added to our shipboard account everyday per person. Does anyone tip the general 20% or less?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

I also leave the auto tip on and tip the Waiter and tip the assistant at the end of the cruise.

Do some people leave a cash tip on the table or give it personally after every meal? Would this be prefered by the staff and possibily result in over-the-top service (assuming the tip is good) or at least forgotten corkage fees?

Not only do I mean the dining rooms for tipping, but the specialty restaurants too. We always tip the room steward at the beginning and the end of the cruise. Mainly wondered if fellow cruisers tip in the dining rooms and if it might be equilvalent to the general 20% or none at all. This would be inclusive of the automatic tip already in place as we never change that.

• 3 weeks later...
lol.

Ok I am not trying to come off as an ass. I just like to relax when I cruise. My day to day career is a TA. When I am onboard I do not want talk much, it is simply a personal thing.

Sorry that I came across as a rude person.

Care to give us your report on how you enjoyed your cruise?

We enjoy the light hearted stuff, but to think that we are the long lost friends they have been looking for their entire life...nope.

Want a wait staff that smiles, is timely, remembers the details (ie, coffee at the end of the entree). Enjoy the "small talk" but to be perfectly honest, if they have been doing this for a few years, that is nine months per year, 4 cruises per month, 2 sittings per day....they smile because it is part of the job and it generates tips, not because they have suddenly found new life-long friends...sorry for being the skeptic, but it is our vacation, their job.

Archived