Do you like to interact with the waitstaff

Next

Which one best describes your persepective?  

310 members have voted

1. 1. Which one best describes your persepective?

• Enjoy interacting & getting to know waitstaff. They are trying to have fun and provide good service.
    • Prefer to be left alone. Just serve the meal. Interactions are just to encourage tipping.

I enjoy interacting with the wait staff. A pleasant atmosphere makes the job more enjoyable for the staff and the dining experience more pleasant for us.

I really missed this the one time we did PC as it was meant to be done. We didn't get to know anyone. We were saved on our last night when we found a waiter from a previous cruise. He was from Mexico and had an olive tree farm.

I prefer to work in an atmosphere of mutual respect with a personal touch. That's where I'm most productive.

I always try to interact with the wait staff. They have a very tough job with long hours. I also think they like to interact with the passengers. On our cruise last year, our waiter and asst. waiter were great. They made dinner a little extra special because of their friendliness and great attitudes. When we found out the waiter was getting married, the whole table chipped in and bought him a wedding present. On our cruise this year, the waiter was a little stiff at first. We had our shore excursion in Costa Rica cancelled and since he was from Costa Rica he recommended a friend of his who is a tour guide and we had the BEST time. After we told the waiter was a great time we had with his friend, the waiter loosened up for the rest of the cruise.

I wouldn't give anyone a "cold shoulder" - but sometimes protracted conversation is forced. I'm fine with our own company, (or we would join a large table) I would rather socialize with other passengers - I am not interested in jokes or tricks from the "wait staff"!

Dont "flame me" :D - JMHO...........GotToCruise (aka Renee)

Wow!! I know you dont want to get flammed, but you make it difficult not to.

Anyone on the wait staff is as equal as you are..

They work harder than most of us do on a daily basis and they barely get a day off. Showing a bit interest wouldnt kill anyone.

We were at a table for 8, Traditional dining recently. The table was rather noisy due to being on top of an air conditioning unit, but the 8 or us (4 Americans, 4 Brits) got along famously. There was lively conversation every evening. Our wait staff was outstanding. They were certainly friendly, but not overly talkative. No jokes or tricks. Towards the end of the cruise I began to realize how good they really were. Every meal moved along smoothly and the service was amazingly unobtrusive. There was never any interruptions between courses. The conversations flowed as did the food. At the end of the cruise I wrote commendations for both the waiter and assistant waiter. :D

We enjoy the staff in the dining room. For us, it's one of the reasons we cruise. We have never had a cruise where the dining room staff has not been one of the highlights. We don't get into deep personal conversations with them, but we do share some family stories and enjoy them sharing their family stories with us. May be we've been lucky, great table companions and realy good staff, hope it continues.

Our waitstaff has alway been outstanding, a big part I believe, is because we are having fun, on vacation and just plain love it when someone else is cooking, cleaning, serving our food and doing the dishes, amoungst many other chores - someone is even taking care of our DK's. At dinner we interact with all the tables around us, waitstaff and guests. The people taking care of you while you're on vacation are your guides to happiness. They are working and want to have as much fun as you do, working shouldn't be a chore, just as a vacation, especially a cruise, should be FUN :)

not taking some interest in the people that I'm going to be interacting with every evening for a whole week. Of all the dinner staff we've had, those that talked casually with us were also always the most professional at what they were doing. Someone that knows and does their job well doesn't let a little conversation interfere with their duties.

And personally I much prefer tipping a staff member that I've gotten to talk with more than, as jhannah said,

a maitre d' who was seen only from a distance until toward the end of the cruise. Then, ta-da, there he was glad-handing with everyone
Just my 2cents.gif

Definitely enjoy the conversations with wait staff, and actually prefer traditional late seating so that we can relax after dinner with coffee and easy conversation with the staff. I love to hear the excitement in their voices when they speak of their homes and families and when they talk about their homeland. In reflecting on past cruises, the best ones have been where the wait staff was entertaining and interesting. The least memorable cruises were those where the wait staff was dry and not too social.

As I've read through these posts, one thing sort of stands out. For the most part, people who like to interact wih their waitstaff are doing so because they sincerely are interested in them, and it is most likely that the reverse is true. Where I think it gets unclear is whether or not true friendships are being formed. I think this difference of opinion really lies in the different ways that people define "friendship".

I love getting to know people I've never met! But I wouldn't call those new aquaintances my friends. I resesrve that word for people with whom I have a history or special experience. It doesn't have to be a long time, but it does have to involve something significant for both of us. So would I say that I make new friends when I am on a cruise... sometimes, but usually not in the dining room when one of us is working and the other one is having dinner. Do I like to get to know our waitstaff... absolutely! I just wouldn't call them my friend after just chatting a bit during my meal.

We always love interacting with the waitstaff...we find it makes the dinner experience all that more rewarding. On all the cruises we've been on, we always end up on first name basis and joking around at dinner. We think its a blast!

This Monday we leave for our first time with princess! We've been with Carnival (young and wild days) RCCL, and now princess...first time! Yeah!

Happy Cruising everyone!

As I've read through these posts, one thing sort of stands out. For the most part, people who like to interact wih their waitstaff are doing so because they sincerely are interested in them, and it is most likely that the reverse is true. Where I think it gets unclear is whether or not true friendships are being formed. I think this difference of opinion really lies in the different ways that people define "friendship".

You've obviously never worked in the service industry.

A good waiter will honestly want to get to know you a bit during your week at his/her table..it will help them do their job and some people (Surprise :eek: ) actually LIKE other people, and actually enjoy getting to know them...and these are the kinds of people who go into the service industry and are good at their jobs.

I can only say that people like you who assume that a friendly waiter is basically putting on an act through the week and doesn't give a rats butt about the people they wait on, is the type of person who would feel that waiters are not your 'friend'...but people who actually do go into the service industry (and remain there) are NOT folks who fall into this category. These people like what they do...they like people and they enjoy getting to know them.

Due to our busy lives, I have very little time to enjoy a leisurely dinner with my husband - so, when we have the opportunity (PC Dining when the kids are enjoying activities) I would rather spend the time enjoying each other's company than getting to know the wait staff. I expect the wait staff to be professional, courteous and friendly but I wouldn't expend any energy getting to know them - even on land, I wouldn't spend time getting to know my server.

Traditional dining is a little different because you have the same servers each day and it is a social/group experience...not a private dinner.

You've obviously never worked in the service industry.

A good waiter will honestly want to get to know you a bit during your week at his/her table..it will help them do their job and some people (Surprise :eek: ) actually LIKE other people, and actually enjoy getting to know them...and these are the kinds of people who go into the service industry and are good at their jobs.

I can only say that people like you who assume that a friendly waiter is basically putting on an act through the week and doesn't give a rats butt about the people they wait on, is the type of person who would feel that waiters are not your 'friend'...but people who actually do go into the service industry (and remain there) are NOT folks who fall into this category. These people like what they do...they like people and they enjoy getting to know them.

I'm sorry you misunderstood what I was trying to say... I don't think that the waitperson is putting on an act. I was saying that although I like to get to know them, I wouldn't call them my "friend". I reserve that for people whom I've developed a more significant kind of relationship, not just someone I've gotten to know and possibly like. Like I said before, the difference of opinion here is probably due to a difference of opinion about what a friend is.

Here's an example: We were out to dinner (not on a cruise) and our waitperson was a young woman with my daughter's name (very unusal name) and we got into a conversation with her about it. We had a nice time talking, joking and if we had her again at that restaurant we would be sure to comment on it, but I wouldn't call her a new friend. She was just a nice stranger that I got to know a little bit. No future committments or thoughts of getting together, etc.

I hate to think I came off sounding like I don't think service people are friendly... I'm a social worker!

I'm pretty sure that, if our Assistant Waiter runs out of gas or has to go to the Emergency Room in the middle of the night, I'm not the one he'll call. So, I would consider most of the relationships with the dining staff "friendly" rather than "friends."

I hate to think I came off sounding like I don't think service people are friendly... I'm a social worker!

I didn't find anything objectionable in your posts on this subject...I was surprised at the criticism you received ...Don't worry.

I expect the wait staff to be professional, courteous and friendly but I wouldn't expend any energy getting to know them - even on land, I wouldn't spend time getting to know my server.

Similar to my sentiments on this subject.

I voted yesterday but didn't post. I'm in the minority group but don't concur that the waitstaff is milking for tips during their repartee with passengers.

Like vacationhappy, DH and I prefer to dine at a romantic table for two, savoring good food and fine wine without excessive intrusion by waitstaff. We compare our shipboard dining experience to a fine land-based restaurant, where we would generally not become engaged in personal conversations with waitstaff. We expect Princess dining room personnel to be cordial, efficient, professional, and unobtrusive. No disappointments ever with "anytime dining."

Bon Appetit and Bon Voyage!

Chris

I voted that I prefer to be left alone. I don't necesarilly think that all of the servers friendliness is due to wanting increased tips, but for some I bet it is. But the same could be said of waiters on land- some are genuinely friendly and enjoy working with people, others only do it to increase the bottom line.

I am polite to all servers and I expect the same courtesy in return, but I have just never felt the need to get to know them.

I think this difference of opinion really lies in the different ways that people define "friendship".

My travels in Germany showed that the Germans make a very careful distiniction between the word friend and acquaintence. Friend is reserved to friends as Enymarsh described.

I think in the US, we tend to use the word friend and buddy a little more loosely.

It is interesting how this topic has turned into a debate about words – is your waiter a servant, a waiter, a friend, a buddy, an acquaintance? Are jeans denim, torn, non-blue, designer? Half of the server space this board uses would be set free if specific words in posts weren’t being dissected here. Do you like to interact with the wait staff? I don't think that anyone is expecting life-long friendships to come from this interaction...although I know it has happened in the past.

Definitely enjoy the conversations with wait staff, and actually prefer traditional late seating so that we can relax after dinner with coffee and easy conversation with the staff. I love to hear the excitement in their voices when they speak of their homes and families and when they talk about their homeland. In reflecting on past cruises, the best ones have been where the wait staff was entertaining and interesting. The least memorable cruises were those where the wait staff was dry and not too social.

Sounds like us. We feel that part of the whole 'experience' of cruising is meeting people from various cultures and walks of life, whether they be staff or fellow cruisers. Whether talking with a waiter from Hungary and listening about his family, or talking with a tablemate from South Africa about their country, it all adds to our experience.

It is interesting how this topic has turned into a debate about words – is your waiter a servant, a waiter, a friend, a buddy, an acquaintance? Are jeans denim, torn, non-blue, designer? Half of the server space this board uses would be set free if specific words in posts weren’t being dissected here. Do you like to interact with the wait staff? I don't think that anyone is expecting life-long friendships to come from this interaction...although I know it has happened in the past.

Bdjam,

I always enjoy your posts, and this one is particularly poignant. I almost posted a similar comment on a thread about "Personal Choice" dining.

I'm convinced that many don't understand that "Personal Choice" means that passengers have the option to select A) traditional early or late seating or B) "anytime" dining, which means that they can dine when, where, and with whom they choose subject to availability.

I almost wish that Princess would adopt the term "restaurant style dining" to eliminate the obvious confusion caused by the terms "personal choice" and/or "anytime" dining. If passengers understood that selecting "anytime" dining was comparable to dining in an upscale land-based restaurant, they might better appreciate that reservations, if accepted, may be required during peak dining hours, or that they may have to wait to be seated during peak dining hours without a reservation, particularly in the case of larger parties.

This former English teacher realizes that this is not keeping with the topic proposed by the OP, but, like Bdjam has pointed out in her eloquent post, "semantics" seems to play a major role in many CC discussions.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

This former English teacher realizes that this is not keeping with the topic proposed by the OP, but, like Bdjam has pointed out in her eloquent post, "semantics" seems to play a major role in many CC discussions.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I may be accused of "semantics" but I have always thought "her" was a "he"...Have I been wrong all these years?

I may be accused of "semantics" but I have always thought "her" was a "he"...Have I been wrong all these years?

No…you’re not wrong…seems to be a common misconception…wonder why?

I always enjoy your posts, and this one is particularly poignant.

Thanks, Chris…that’s always good to hear!

Archived