Did I miss something? Little Stirrup Cay instead of Freeport?

SnowshoeCat

I've taken a break from the boards for a bit, waiting for the Triumph fiasco to die down and waiting to decide which, if any, cruise I want to take.

I had been looking at the 4-day Ecstasy, stopping in Freeport and Nassau. I was always wishing that the ship would replace one of those two stops with a private island. Now it seems like my wish has come true. But why?

I saw a few threads about Key West being replaced, but not Freeport. So tell me about this. I've been to Great Stirrup Cay - I assume LSC is similar? And why not HMC - isn't that Carnival's? What brought about these changes?

Now I might have to reconsider my travel plans and take a cruise :D

It is my understanding that Carnival is dropping Key West from most itineraries, if not all, due to docking issues, and that they contracted with RCCL to use LSC when it is not in use by RCCL. HMC is also used by Holland America, so it is often "full".

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that they had added LSC to my 4 night Ecstasy itinerary in April, and had dropped Freeport. I was even more surprised to find that I got an OBC for the difference in port taxes.

I am looking forward to a nice beach day!

I've taken a break from the boards for a bit, waiting for the Triumph fiasco to die down and waiting to decide which, if any, cruise I want to take.

I had been looking at the 4-day Ecstasy, stopping in Freeport and Nassau. I was always wishing that the ship would replace one of those two stops with a private island. Now it seems like my wish has come true. But why?

I saw a few threads about Key West being replaced, but not Freeport. So tell me about this. I've been to Great Stirrup Cay - I assume LSC is similar? And why not HMC - isn't that Carnival's? What brought about these changes?

Now I might have to reconsider my travel plans and take a cruise :D

Seems the port on the base of KW is not to be used for Carnival ships .

So they'll get rerouted to SC

It is my understanding that Carnival is dropping Key West from most itineraries, if not all, due to docking issues, and that they contracted with RCCL to use LSC when it is not in use by RCCL. HMC is also used by Holland America, so it is often "full".

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that they had added LSC to my 4 night Ecstasy itinerary in April, and had dropped Freeport. I was even more surprised to find that I got an OBC for the difference in port taxes.

I am looking forward to a nice beach day!

I'm looking at an April departure, too. One booking site listed the stop as Coco Cay. I guess it's the same. I was at Coco Cay last year and while I was hoping to explore a "new" island this time, I would be glad to find that quiet beach area again!

I was following the other thread about the change from Key West to Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay) and it seemed like the change was made because of docking issues in Key West.

If that is the case, then why are they switching out Freeport to Little Stirrup Cay???

Maggie

I was following the other thread about the change from Key West to Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay) and it seemed like the change was made because of docking issues in Key West.

If that is the case, then why are they switching out Freeport to Little Stirrup Cay???

Maggie

I guess that was my question ;) I would think the cruise ships have a big impact on Freeport's economy.

I'm looking at an April departure, too. One booking site listed the stop as Coco Cay. I guess it's the same. I was at Coco Cay last year and while I was hoping to explore a "new" island this time, I would be glad to find that quiet beach area again!

Since you were there last year, can you tell me how far the cabanas are from the beach? I am receving mixed information????

Since you were there last year, can you tell me how far the cabanas are from the beach? I am receving mixed information????

The cabanas are right on the water, but the shoreline right there is all boulders and not for swimming. The nearest swimming beach is about 150-200 feet from the cabanas.

Archived