question about solo traveler and dancing

redhydra

Hello

i am considering doeing my first solo traveling, a transatlantic from new york to southampton, wich ship of cunard, i havent decided yet

i heard that dance is pretty popular and even some solo traveller get there

my question, as a solo traveller, is it true that a solo traveller can venture in dancing without a partner, or can one find a partner

i have to admit, i have never danced in my life and i think it would be an experience to try that, if a partner might accept me

also, should i take dance lesson prior to cruising?? cause if by miracle i manage to find a woman to dance with, i dont want to spoil her experience by stepping on her foot or making the wrong move or something

does anyone ever had a similar case?

thanks in advance

Redhydra--Welcome to the Cunard board!

I love your positive attitude and yes, one can find a dance partner on board.

May I suggest a few points? Assuming you are thinking of ballroom dancing ("Dancing with the Stars" as opposed to "Shaking your Booty"), I like your idea of taking a few dance lessons before you go: it never hurts to come (just a little bit) prepared. Once you are on board, you will read in the Daily Programme that there are free dance lessons in the Queens Room, usually a bit before or after lunch time. These are group lessons, and some instructors will be better than others, but you won't know that before you set foot on the dance floor. That's why I think it an excellent idea to start before you sail.

During those on board lessons you will change partners. This will allow you to see who else may be on your dance "level" and find them again in the evening to continue practising. And speaking of evenings, it never hurts to first watch the action on the dance floor and notice potential partners being invited to dance by the Gentlemen Hosts--that's likely a good sign they didn't bring their own partners. ;)

Should you decide that ballroom-style is not for you, there is a disco on each of the Cunard ships, with recorded music alternating with a small combo. Some of that is good, some not so good, but only you can decide whether it suits you.

So--go on out there and find a place to learn! You may decide you like it well enough to sail Cunard again and again, just for the dancing...

Bon voyage et bonne chance!

The only place I know about in Montreal is Rendez-Vous, on Lacordaire near Henri Bourassa. If you decide to check it out- don't be intimidated, these people have been dancing for years. If you decide you're interested, you may be able to get some ideas about how to get started.

Venturing on the dance floor when you can't dance is a recipe for disaster. If you can learn the basics, and you will see some very basic dancing skills there, you should certainly find ladies to dance with. I am sure many unaccompanied ladies would welcome a partner who was not a "gentleman host".

David.

thank you very much for your advice, all of you, i am seriously considering taking some basis lesson,of course, il worry about that after i selected wich cunard ship i want to say and when

especially when it come to dancing with a partner in a ball type dance as i have never done that

as for club dancing and disco, i did went to dancing club with a couple of friend on 2 occasion, in that case, i think its easy to dance as you i only had to observe what the other did and imitate them and since you dont dance with someone like in a ball, you dont have to worry about stepping on your partner foot

appart that, i had the chance to experience a glympse of what it is like to be seated with other traveller, in celebrity cruise, i decided to do the behind the scene ship while my family decided to do other activities, after the tour, we went to dine with the tour crew and the fellow passenger who did the tour

it gave me a idea of what dining on a preset time with other passenger was like and it went better than i expected, as a shy person who has difficult in breaking the ice, i expected to be unable to fit with other passenger, in the end, before we left, i was leading several conversation much to my amazement

so it gave me a glimpse of what cruising solo would be like. cause, althrough i have cruised several time, i have always cruised with family who are basically anti social and prefer to stay knitted together with my dining time as well as alternative restaurants, so it didn left me time to try to mingle

I might also suggest that if the sailing you do choose has a Roll Call and are meeting on the ship for a quick get-together, sign up to join! You can chat a bit before sailing and get to know people that way first, easier to talk with people you've already had an opportunity to know a bit.

Have a wonderful time if you do book, enjoy yourself and please don't shut yourself in the cabin, get out there and have a fantastic cruise!

thanks, i forgot about roll call, if i book a cruise and there is one for solo traveller, or i can always create one if there isn't

the only fear i have by attempting to ask a solo woman to dance is to make the mistake of asking a woman in couple and insult their boyfriend/husband

though i have read that by observing the gentlemen host crew might be helping avoiding that mistake

Watch the dance hosts. They are supposed to only ask the solo ladies to dance, so ask those ladies. I once saw a woman who complained a lot about her husband's dancing, so she would have him sit at a table behind hers, so the hosts would ask her to dance. They would not have asked her while they were sitting together, and you shouldn't either. But if you met a couple where the man hates or can't dance, his wife may love being asked to dance.

As a woman who loves to dance,my advice is please do take some lessons before yo go on a cruise. You can concentrate on foxtrot only and progress more than if they mix in other dances, though that's their preferred way to teach. Please don't ask a stranger to dance if you don't dance at all, as someone said it's a disaster. But a little basic knowledge will provide much fun for you.

thanks for the advice, having nearly no knowledge in term of dance, i had to make a research to get an idea what foxtrot is and i can see why you strongly recommend dancing lesson

As a male solo traveller, but as one who can do the ballroom and latin (except samba and paso doble) dances, my suggestions to you would be:

1. do take 3 - 6 months of worthwhile dance lessons, concentrating on the int'l style of cha cha, rumba, jive, slow waltz, quickstep, and a bit of tango. These are the dances that you would dance the most on board Cunard ships. For int'l foxtrot, I would suggest social foxtrot, rather than the true int'l foxtrot. I don't really know what American foxtrot is like.

2. go to the initial solo travellers' get together and while there would be a lot of single ladies there, most probably wouldn't be too much into ballroom dancing; maybe just a handful. What you should do at that initial meeting is get to know the gentlemen hosts. And attend all the group dance classes; if you're up it, and the professional dance instructors appeal to you, take some private lessons from them.

3. At the evening dances in the Queen's Room, watch who the GH's dance with, and you would be welcome to dance with the same ladies, whether they are there with a male partner/husband, etc or not. You can even ask the GH to go with you to a lady and introduce you.

4. When the band starts a tune, and there is a lady that you haven't danced with before, wait a bit before approaching her to ask her if she would like to dance with you. Normally, the band plays a particular piece way too long, and if you start a dance at the beginning of a tune, it's difficult to end the dancing before the tune ends. By waiting a bit, you may end up dancing only the latter half of the tune, and it won't be so bad if the dance chemistry between the lady and you isn't all that good. This happens.

5. Finally, don't be shy about approaching the ladies seating at the front row of tables surrounding the dance floor. They are there hoping to get asked to dance; otherwise they may seat further back.

And have a good time. Remember, the GH's can be your good friends.

...For international foxtrot, I would suggest social foxtrot, rather than the true int'l foxtrot. I don't really know what American foxtrot is like.

Tangoll is quite right here; International Slow Foxtrot often takes five years to reach a good standard but Social Foxtrot is probably the easiest dance of all and (seriously) can be taught in less than thirty minutes! This is the perfect dance to get beginners around the floor and can be used for a variety of tempos.

But, as several posters have made clear, going onto a dance floor with no dancing knowledge at all is a recipe for disaster. So, join a local learners' class and master the basics first.

Tangoll is quite right here; International Slow Foxtrot often takes five years to reach a good standard but Social Foxtrot is probably the easiest dance of all and (seriously) can be taught in less than thirty minutes! This is the perfect dance to get beginners around the floor and can be used for a variety of tempos.

I had posted this link to a video of an instruction piece given by an Irish dance instructor called Tommy Shaughnessy on the first few steps of int'l foxtrot. It takes years to master these first few steps of that dance.

<

>

To master Viennese Waltz is also very difficult.

I'd say, keep it simple, concentrate on Social Foxtrot. As fantasy51 posted on another thread it's not just dancing but also leading.

If you can find a copy of Alex Moore's "Ballroom Dancing", look at Rhythm Dancing. All you really need is quarter turns and reverse pivot turn. The Canadian Dance Teachers Association uses the DVIDA syllabus, they're called zigzag and rock turn, very similar.

A dance studio will play music at the "ideal" tempo. We're constantly complaining about Cunard's off-tempo music, so you need to be able to identify the "1" beat and group beats into slows and quicks, at different tempos. You can practice that anytime you hear music, not just in class.

There always used to be dancers like fantasy51 on Cunard, not any more. Look for good posture and dance shoes- proper dance shoes are mandatory for women, optional for men. Practise adjusting to different partners, especially someone who's shorter and takes shorter steps.

All that should keep you busy til you get on the ship.

What kind of shoes you recommend to use and which one to avoid?

Find a local shop that sells proper ballroom dance shoes - they will advise you on which dance-shoes are suitable for a beginner.

Avoid any shoes with very high heels because, as a beginner, you will find these hard to balance on and, in any event, the higher-heeled shoes are for latin style dancing. So, initially, nothing higher than a 2" heel.

Many social dancers in the UK are now buying their dance-shoes on-line from Hong Kong & China. They are about one third the price of UK and Italian made shoes and are quite adequate for social dancing. Try typing 'Terrier Playnet Dance Shoes' into Google and that may be a guide.

Foxy

Find a local shop that sells proper ballroom dance shoes - they will advise you on which dance-shoes are suitable for a beginner.

Many social dancers in the UK are now buying their dance-shoes on-line from Hong Kong & China. They are about one third the price of UK and Italian made shoes and are quite adequate for social dancing. Try typing 'Terrier Playnet Dance Shoes' into Google and that may be a guide.

Foxy

Thanks for your advice, i looked on the net to see what dance shoe look like and to my delight, i already have shoes that can be used for dancing

Thanks for your advice, i looked on the net to see what dance shoe look like and to my delight, i already have shoes that can be used for dancing

At the risk of bursting your bubble, the shoes you currently have MAY look like those on the website, but one most important part is what the sole is made of. Most shoes for general/street use have either a leather or composition/rubber sole. Proper dance shoes, as the website indicates ("Sole: with Suede under sole"), have an outer layer of suede... It is recommended to use them ONLY on the dance floor, and avoid all contact with water. Dancers usually will carry their dance shoes to the venue and put them on just prior to hitting the dance floor. If/when they get too slippery you can use either a wire brush or some sand paper to revive the nap.

Your enthusiasm is fantastic, and I suspect you may enjoy keeping up with the dancing after you get back home...

At the risk of bursting your bubble, the shoes you currently have MAY look like those on the website, but one most important part is what the sole is made of. Most shoes for general/street use have either a leather or composition/rubber sole. Proper dance shoes, as the website indicates ("Sole: with Suede under sole"), have an outer layer of suede... It is recommended to use them ONLY on the dance floor, and avoid all contact with water. Dancers usually will carry their dance shoes to the venue and put them on just prior to hitting the dance floor. If/when they get too slippery you can use either a wire brush or some sand paper to revive the nap.

Your enthusiasm is fantastic, and I suspect you may enjoy keeping up with the dancing after you get back home...

I didn think of that, i do admit my shoe has anti slippery rubber grip on them , i have another pair designe for winter season, in that case, il follow slow foxtrot advice

5. Finally, don't be shy about approaching the ladies seating at the front row of tables surrounding the dance floor. They are there hoping to get asked to dance; otherwise they may seat further back.

Yeah, you'd think this was the case, however, a crew member told me that it's not unusual for the ladies to knock back a fellow passenger that asks them to dance, as they want to dance with the gentlemen hosts. I was very surprised to hear this but the crew member assured me it happens quite a bit.

Depending on who the social hostess is on the cruise, single gentlemen can dance with her - she won't say no. :) After the ladies see that the solo male traveller can dance (from watching him and the social hostess) they will generally agree to dance with him if he asks.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Whitemarsh.

Very few social hostesses these days can dance. You can improve the odds by attending the single gatherings and letting it be known you're a beginner who wants to dance. Above all, do not use alcohol thinking it will improve your dancing.

Very few social hostesses these days can dance. You can improve the odds by attending the single gatherings and letting it be known you're a beginner who wants to dance. Above all, do not use alcohol thinking it will improve your dancing.

Of all the social hostesses on board the Cunard ships that I've been on, near Diamond (15 cruises), the only social hostesses that I can recall being able to do just a simple cha cha or rumba were Melanie Jones (the over 6 ft one) and maybe Sukwana (the Brit-Thai lady). Very few of the others even ventured into the Queen's Room except when they had to host a ball.

I think a better method is, if there is a professional dance couple on board, take a few private lessons with the lady instructor, and hope that she comes out in the evenings and maybe the student can dance once with her.

I still think the best way is to observe who the dance hosts dance with, and ask those ladies, or ask the DH to make an introduction for you. Of course, if one is a rank beginner, then not much will work.

Dont worry, no alcool for dancing, i once went to a night club and danced after drinking alcool, it might have helped shed some of my self conciousness but definitively didn improve my dancing skill, on the contrary, my movement were less precise

Of all the social hostesses on board the Cunard ships that I've been on, near Diamond (15 cruises), the only social hostesses that I can recall being able to do just a simple cha cha or rumba were Melanie Jones (the over 6 ft one) and maybe Sukwana (the Brit-Thai lady). Very few of the others even ventured into the Queen's Room except when they had to host a ball.

I think a better method is, if there is a professional dance couple on board, take a few private lessons with the lady instructor, and hope that she comes out in the evenings and maybe the student can dance once with her.

I still think the best way is to observe who the dance hosts dance with, and ask those ladies, or ask the DH to make an introduction for you. Of course, if one is a rank beginner, then not much will work.

Janet Labelle (current QM2 social hostess) can dance very well. We often saw her in the Queens Room dancing with guests.

Archived