Wi-Fi in Cabins?

fsa1155

Hello,

We are traveling on Carnival Liberty and were wondering if there was Wi-Fi in the cabins or just in a specified location on the ship. Is there a fee for using Wi-Fi? Does anyone know?

Thanks, :)

There is a cost, but I don't remember. Somewhat expensive but worth it to us.

We had to purchase a plan because on the day of embarkation my son checked his bank account and found hundreds of small withdrawals paid to a foreign account.....obviously not authorized by him.

Although he got a hold of his bank....those withdrawals continued to show up for several more days so he had to keep checking on them and contacting his bank.

There is a fee, we just got off the breeze and I believe it's .99/min or 45min for $29.90. It's not a great signal as they use a satellite to get service. Not with IMO, you can text with some charges but if you need wifi for work or Facebook then you shouldn't be on vacation!

There is a fee, we just got off the breeze and I believe it's .99/min or 45min for $29.90. It's not a great signal as they use a satellite to get service. Not with IMO, you can text with some charges but if you need wifi for work or Facebook then you shouldn't be on vacation!

Yes, I agree. We are on vacation and I will be unplugged but our friends have kids that love to play games. :)

Good to know.

I'll have to bring my laptop on our trip. I won't need to be online much, but I'm doing online classes for my Masters Program and will *need* to have work handed in during our cruise. Nice to know I can type up a paper and turn it in from the ship.

Yes, I agree. We are on vacation and I will be unplugged but our friends have kids that love to play games. :)

i don't think the signal will be strong enough to play games that are on the net. think dial up speed but slower. my son loves video games to, i think he is a addict. :eek:;) he can bring his ipod touch thats it. he knows better then to ask if he can bring his lap top. it will be good for them to turn it off.

from FAQ

If I bring my own laptop, do I need to pay for the internet service onboard?

Internet Café / Wireless Internet Services

To keep you connected while at sea, satellite Internet access is available via WiFi throughout the vessel (including your cabin) and in the Internet Café.

Internet Café

The Internet Café is open 24-hours and features individual terminals where you can surf the Web, chat online, and access your private e-mail account (Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, Juno, Yahoo, etc.) Alternatively, personalized CruisE-mail™ is available on most vessels. Please see additional information below.

For your convenience, the Internet Café Manager is available for assistance during posted hours.

Internet Café terminals run on Windows XP and are limited to Internet communication. Terminals are equipped with Microsoft Office readers only, not full versions of these programs (WORD, EXCEL, etc); most files can be accessed as “read only” for viewing purposes but cannot be edited or saved. Please note, on your personal laptop you can read, edit and save files without restrictions according to the programs installed.

Wireless Users – Laptops and other WiFi equipped devices

Got a laptop, an iPad, or a netbook? Got 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless capability (that's just geek speak for WiFi)?

The Wireless Internet Service is compatible with a Wireless 802.11b card, which is the industry standard. You may use your personal laptop while onboard, your iPhone and all other WiFi equipped devices and most software installed on them without restrictions. VPN access on the other hand is restricted to connections of the type, which are not IPSec or PPTP connections. Kindly discuss your VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard.

Pricing

Instructions on how to create an account and pricing details are present on-screen in the Internet Café or on your laptop once you connect to Carnival WiFi. Internet pricing is identical, whether you are using the Internet Café terminals, your own laptop or other wireless devices. All Internet charges will be billed directly to your onboard “Sail & Sign” account.

Time Plans offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans are transferable between Internet Café terminals and personal laptops/wireless devices, can be used anytime throughout the cruise until disembarkation and don’t have to be used in a single session. No refund will be provided for unused minutes. Upgrading a pre-selected pricing option is not available and plans are subject to change.

• 480 minutes for $159 USD

• 240 minutes for $89 USD

• 120 minutes for $59 USD

• 45 minutes for $29 USD

• Pay As You Go: $0.75/min

Really?

Sole proprietors that want to stay in touch with their business shouldn't be on vacation? Facebook, I agree but there are many many reasons that people want to stay connected to home.

Carnival and other lines are moving away from antiquated per minute fees and are also upgrading to faster speed services. I was recently on the Carnival Glory where you could pay $99 for unlimited wifi and that was for the high speed wifi, not the normal slow cruise ship speed wifi/internet. If you wanted the old slow speeds the price was cheaper.

We always buy a plan. DD wants to keep in touch with friends and I totally understand that. We're traveling through Europe for three weeks after our Baltic cruise this summer and before I made hotel reservations I made sure wifi was at least available (and preferably included in the rates). :D We've always had service in the room, but as others have said, it's slow.

I've had to check in for work a couple of times on past cruises and I often check in on FB as well to post photos to make my friends jealous, oops, I mean to keep my friends posted on what we're up to. LOL. I don't think that means I shouldn't be on vacation! :D

Carnival and other lines are moving away from antiquated per minute fees and are also upgrading to faster speed services. I was recently on the Carnival Glory where you could pay $99 for unlimited wifi and that was for the high speed wifi, not the normal slow cruise ship speed wifi/internet. If you wanted the old slow speeds the price was cheaper.

I hope that goes fleet wide. I like being able to check in back home while I'm away.

if you need wifi for work or Facebook then you shouldn't be on vacation!

I am a sole proprietor and need to stay in touch with my customers.

Are you saying I should never go on vacation?

I take my laptop and spend about $ 75 per cruise on internets plan and we are able to go on 2-3 cruises per year while conducting my business as necessary

There is also a $3, one time connection fee.

They are slowly adding the unlimited internet to other ships within the fleet.

Although slow to connect and not as fast as I would like, I have never really had a problem with the internet on any of the ships.

Generally what I will do is check email, get what I need from it, and disconnect. I will then in a word document compose responses, etc. Or, if I need to submit papers, documents, etc., I will prepare everything offline. That way, when I log back on, I do not waste my minutes doing that - I simply log on, copy and paste/attach, and send. It lets me use less time online, thus saving a little money. I find that I generally need at least the two hour plan, but that's just me.

Everyone has there own opinion and that is mine. I am also not in the same age group as you guys and I personally don't need to check in with my job everyday to see how things are going (I'm in the medical field).

Everyone has there own opinion and that is mine. I am also not in the same age group as you guys and I personally don't need to check in with my job everyday to see how things are going (I'm in the medical field).

Works for you not to check in with work that is fine but please dont tell others what they should do.

Is there a place to find out which ships currently offer the unlimited WIFI? In 5 weeks we will be on the FREEDOM, and I was wondering if it is available on that ship. Any information would be nice....

And YES I do need to be in touch with work, being as I am a branch manager and need to track / respond on a regular basis. Once or twice per day.... plus I am the one that inputs payroll, and since payday happens while I am away, and it can not be done in advance (national company), if I don't connect... then my staff will not get paid!

BUT I also NEED a vacation, So I am going! and I'm hoping I can get the unlimited WIFI, so that I don't have to worry about the per minute expenses....

Archived