On Board - June 9 Transatlantic - Interim Reports

Paul NH

Hello All,

Being the eternal early riser that I am, I snuck out of our cabin and left my wife and two boys sleeping, had a cup of coffee from King's Court, walked around the boat deck a couple of times, and then came down here to Connexions for a few minutes of computer time ($0.50 per minute web time). Thought I would post a few real-time details whenever I have the chance.

The sailaway from Manhattan was absolutely spectacular! It was 85 degrees, sunny, with a mild breezed coming off the Hudson. We watched the tugboats working hard against the hull of the QM2 on the starboard side, then went over to port side of the boat deck (Deck 7) and watched the skyline with the commentary from the speakers. So impressive. How in the world Carnival/Princess/Cunard decided to do away with this and sail from Red Hook is beyond me. Everyone we made small talk with on board mentioned that they consider the skyline to be one of the biggest highlights of the trip.

Right now it is 7:45 a.m. ship times (adjusted forward one hour already) and foggy outside. The ship's fog horn blasts about every 5 or 10 minutes. Even though it is foggy, I was only in a button down Oxford shirt this morning walking the deck (coffee in hand) and felt perfectly fine without a jacket or blazer. The seas are pretty calm. There is a slight roll going on right now, but nobody in my family is ill, although my wife says she has moments when she feels "close" to getting seasick. But no problems so far - knock on faux wood!

Commodore Warwick is the master of the vessel. Have not seen John Cleese yet. Our outside cabin with a porthole, forward on Deck 5, is very nice. It is bright and airy, and does not seem claustrophobic with four people in it (of course the week is still young ... we will see in several days time). I am a little disappointed in our stewardess, as we asked for additional hangers since we have four people. She said she would get them last night and never did. When we paged her on the phone, she never responded. Leaving for dinner, we saw her in the hall, and she saw us and abruptly turned around and went around a corner! What is up with that? I am sure she will take care of it this morning, and it is not a big deal, but we would like to get our sons shirts hung up and out of the way.

The ship is stunning. There are many rooms we have not even seen yet. The service at dinner was perfect. The food last night was good - not gourmet - but good all the same; no complaints. Lunch at King's Court yesterday afternoon was also very good.

Most people on board have been nicely dressed in casual - but nice - attire. There were only 4 or 5 adult "slobs" - people walking around last night in jeans. In the heat of the afternoon yesterday, I would say about 60% were dressed more to the dressed-up casual style, and the remainder were in shorts, t-shirts and such. There are quite a few teenagers and children. I believe the total number is 127 - which surprised me because I thought children would be rare.

Well, I better go for now or the internet rate will bankrupt me. This trip is great so far.

Paul, thank you so much for taking the time to post.

Your description of sailaway is wonderful. That is one of my dreams, and we hope to realize it when we follow in your footsteps in the fall.

Have a perfect crossing!

Pincus

Paul .. I am SOOO jealous.. The Golds and I (met here on the forum by roll-call) are on the same trip in two months (09 Aug from NY). My Tux shirts and Tuxs are all ready to go! Even got a new garmet bag just to transport them!

Does the Internet have a pre-buy option?? Some ships allow you to buy a certain number of minutes (hours) at a reduced price. Disney had a $x per day for the kids to use the internet.

You mentioned you had a cabin with window...so you had to be on deck for sail-a-way. Was it crowded .. was it jubilant .. were there lots of people? Reason I am asking is that I 'think' my suite is on the side that will pass the Statue .. so a nice bottle of bubbly might be the perfect toast! Or should I partake in the atmosphere??

What time did you board in NY? The cruise line is telling me not to show up early at 11:30ish .. to wait for the crowds to thin out and arrive about 2pm. What would you suggest? Will have 'Queens Guest' checkin so should be short line...

Keep us informed!!!

Have a FABULOUS TIME! Not sure how old your kids are .. but with the fog horn and fog you may tell them to be on the watch out for the Mary Cileste or other ghost ships of the Atlantic! :eek:

JohnR

Hi all,

The fog finally lifted about an hour ago - we can now see the Atlantic to the horizon in every direction. With the lifting of the fog came intense winds. My youngest son and I just went around the boat deck one time and it was all we could do to not get blown over! Walking the decks is one of my favorite activities so far and this is the first time it has been problematic. I suspect the winds will die down some in time. It has become colder as well, I cannot remember the temperature reading on the TV, but I suspect it is in the fifties to 60 degrees fahrenheit. The seas are a category 4, and with the upgrade from a prior 2, the ship has begun to move some. But no one in our family of four is sick. But the roll is evident, but not at all bothersome. It is sort of neat actually.

We saw John Cleese this morning in the Royal Court Theater. Last night was our first formal night. Tonight is another. I would say about 75% of the men are in tuxes, and most women are dressed to the nines.

Tea was not crowded yesterday, and we came right in at 4 p.m. and sat right down with an immediate Army of waiters descending on us with tea, sandwhiches, scones, and pastries. A chamber orchestra played in the center ballroom. Very nice.

Tonight is the Commodore's Ball for us peasants in Britannia. All three meals yesterday, and both today have been absolutely delicious. Service was flawless on five out of the six meals taken there so far. Only breakfast this morning was a little slow.

The ship is very classy, reserved and so far an endless joy to explore. I cannot believe two days have passed by already!

Signing off for now. I will try to answer questions later, and will summarize a review when we get back to the U.S. at the end of June. Just thought I would throw out these interim tidbits real time, along the journey.

Paul

Paul's commentary is spot on, as it regards our mutual time onboard this miraculous vessel. I type to you from the Library, Eight Deck starboard, as QM2 slices through what look like fairly significant swells.

Princess Grill embarkation (a maximum of 15 minutes pierside), stateroom (the bed is heaven), staff, cuisine and overall attitude of all Cunard staff we have encountered is first class. Our caviar a la Russe ordered for last evening was sublime. For this evening's repast, we've pre-ordered a cheese souffle and will carry on from the menu for the rest. Osman, the PG's maitre d', is a professional from the first word. He insisted on moving our table form a duce near a service station to the much coveted "Table #11", the duce in the rear double-windowed corner of the PG, where we see everyone making their turn on the Promenade.

The only flaw I see at all is one's departure from the PG, where one leaves one's idyll and faces the entrance to what looks like a Morrison's Cafeteria...aka The King's Court. Not a way to end my 5-tar dining experience, thank you. But, believe me, this is a minor flaw.

I cannot rave more about our Canyon Ranch experiences so far, one booked each day. The Deluxe Body Scrub, lasting 2+ hours, is nirvana.

I have sailed Cunard ships since the mid-60s--QM, QE, Caronia, Franconia, QE2--and any fear I had of a Princess/Carnival intrusion is for now abated.

For internet use you can buy a 60 min. pkg. for 24.95 for use in Connexxions or the library computers. You simply run your ship's card through the scanner and away you go. After you log off you will receive an updated accounting of how much time you have left.

I too used the Connexxions computers early in the morning while all was quiet (around 7:30-8 am) I was usually the only one there. In the library there are distractions and if someone knows you they stop to chat while of course your minutes are clicking by.

When this ship's a rockin' ... don't come a knockin.

We are in very heavy seas this morning, 7:30 a.m ship's time. I almost just fell over on the A Stairway on my way down to the computer center. In fact, I will need to go to the center of the ship as I am feeling "whoozy."

I was watching the seas from the 2 deck forward corridors, the ones that have the large windows, and the waves were periodically washing over them. I was up at the Commodore Club and could barely stand there.

The cabinet door in front of me is swinging open and shut, banging loudly into the table I am working at.

Whooh, I have to go. Will report back when I am not sweating on the forehead.

Paul

Most people on board have been nicely dressed in casual - but nice - attire. There were only 4 or 5 adult "slobs" - people walking around last night in jeans. In the heat of the afternoon yesterday, I would say about 60% were dressed more to the dressed-up casual style, and the remainder were in shorts, t-shirts and such. There are quite a few teenagers and children. I believe the total number is 127 - which surprised me because I thought children would be rare.

Well I hope the seas have calmed a little by the time you read this message. Not only worrying about what to wear now, but also worrying about the rough seas. But have been through rough in the bay of biscay and down the atlantic to the caribbean. Is the North atlantic worse??? Anyway, I just wondered why you call people who wear jeans slobs?? I have told my husband and son that they have to look for smart casual trousers for the casual nights on board and no way are they to wear jeans. Husband quite put out by this as his jeans cost more than any pair of trousers he owns and most are Hugo Boss!! Still my son will only wear jeans during the daytime and I believe that for most 19 year olds this is casual dress. I have e mailed Cunard regarding the jeans situation and during the daytime they are fine. They do not like them being worn in the evenings and neither do I. Mind you finding decent stuff here in the UK for a lad that's a 42" waist is not at all easy. Not classed as a standard size!!!! I must also tell him not to bring his burberry shirt or cap. How Chav like!!!!!:rolleyes: Actually he doesn't own anything Burberry. Seems to be following in his father's footsteps with the Hugo Boss stuff!! Let's hope that after spending an arm and a leg for a trip of a lifetime on QM2 when we could have had a suite on Oriana around the same time for less money we really don't feel out of place!!

Elaine

elaine61

We will also be travelling with teens who will dress respectably but casually ALL of the time during the day and dress appropriately for dining in the evening. I hope that you don't fret too much about what others will think of your clothing. I think if your husband wants to wear a "respectful" pair of jeans during the day, in the pubs, etc. then it would be fine. Remember, this is your trip.......you should be happy and comfortable and worry-free. Also, it is who you are not what you wear that really matters most... and you sound like an honest and responsible person...So enjoy your vacation.....Bon Voyage!

Anyway, I just wondered why you call people who wear jeans slobs??
Elaine, I love jeans and wear them all the time. The "slob" word was used as a matter of contrast. When everyone is walking around dressed in nice trousers and shirts, and someone wanders by in jeans, it really stands out. That is all; not meant to state that people who wear jeans in general are slobs, just that people who wander around this ship in the evening when everyone else is dressed up, risk the contrast.

It is now 7 p.m. ship's time. I just came off the Boat Deck, having walked for about one and a half hours. I cannot get enough of that routine; it is magical. While walking I was joined by my wife for about a half an hour, and then by my older son for the last twenty minutes. A fresh wind, the sound of the water surging and splashing by the hull below, and the endless view of water simply cannot be beat by anything going on inside.

Well, things are much improved this evening. We seem to be past the Category 5 "Rough Seas" and "Gale Force" 8 category winds. It is still windy and still rough, just not as bad as this morning. My wife, oldest son, and I all took the shot mid morning. It makes a big difference. Just after taking it, I went to the Sunday service by myself (my wife was bedridden with seasickness). Later, I was invited up to Commodore Warwick's quarters for a bit, as we share an interest in a common subject I have authored. The invite was entirely spontaneous and was a real treat for me. Both he and his wife are very interesting and nice people. He was not able to make the Commodore's Cocktail party last night since he had been tied up so much on the bridge with all the bad weather we have been having.

So I went from feeling terribly sick for brief moments this morning to sitting in the Commodore's living room chatting with him and his wife - talk about extreme moments! Having just had the shot about an hour earlier, I was a bit spacy while I was up there, but will remember and cherish the time.

Last night was a great dinner. We are by a large window on the first level, and they drew all the curtains open on the port side just as the sun was setting. To be sitting there, watching the ocean dance by, enjoying the great food and service was like heaven. Once again, I have only good things to report about the Britannia dining room. Except for the first night's dinner which was only "good", every other meal has been delicious. And the service 90% of the time has been flawless. We all skipped breakfast due to seasickness, but my youngest son and I enjoyed lunch today right in the center of the restaurant in the tall area.

So much to discuss, but I will save and summarize later. The air temperature is 11 degrees celsius - not sure what that is in fahrenheit, but it is warm enough to walk the decks in just a button down shirt with a thin wool sweater pullover.

I am off to get back to my cabin and get ready for dinner. Tonight is "Informal" requiring a jacket and tie. Tomorrow night will be formal - making it three total for the voyage.

Dan Z left a message yesterday afternoon; I thought I would catch up with him today, but between seasicknees, Commodore Warwick, and sleeping for three hours in the afternoon from the shot, the day has flown by! Perhaps I will catch up with him tonight - or definitely tomorrow.

Life at sea is a fascinating experience. I can see where people get hooked on Transatlantics.

JRG01, I will fill you in on more sailaway details when I return home.

Best regards,

Paul

It is now 7 p.m. ship's time. I just came off the Boat Deck, having walked for about one and a half hours. I cannot get enough of that routine; it is magical. While walking I was joined by my wife for about a half an hour, and then by my older son for the last twenty minutes. A fresh wind, the sound of the water surging and splashing by the hull below, and the endless view of water simply cannot be beat by anything going on inside.

Well, things are much improved this evening. We seem to be past the Category 5 "Rough Seas" and "Gale Force" 8 category winds. It is still windy and still rough, just not as bad as this morning. My wife, oldest son, and I all took the shot mid morning. It makes a big difference. Just after taking it, I went to the Sunday service by myself (my wife was bedridden with seasickness). Later, I was invited up to Commodore Warwick's quarters for a bit, as we share an interest in a common subject I have authored. The invite was entirely spontaneous and was a real treat for me. Both he and his wife are very interesting and nice people. He was not able to make the Commodore's Cocktail party last night since he had been tied up so much on the bridge with all the bad weather we have been having.

So I went from feeling terribly sick for brief moments this morning to sitting in the Commodore's living room chatting with him and his wife - talk about extreme moments! Having just had the shot about an hour earlier, I was a bit spacy while I was up there, but will remember and cherish the time.

Last night was a great dinner. We are by a large window on the first level, and they drew all the curtains open on the port side just as the sun was setting. To be sitting there, watching the ocean dance by, enjoying the great food and service was like heaven. Once again, I have only good things to report about the Britannia dining room. Except for the first night's dinner which was only "good", every other meal has been delicious. And the service 90% of the time has been flawless. We all skipped breakfast due to seasickness, but my youngest son and I enjoyed lunch today right in the center of the restaurant in the tall area.

So much to discuss, but I will save and summarize later. The air temperature is 11 degrees celsius - not sure what that is in fahrenheit, but it is warm enough to walk the decks in just a button down shirt with a thin wool sweater pullover.

I am off to get back to my cabin and get ready for dinner. Tonight is "Informal" requiring a jacket and tie. Tomorrow night will be formal - making it three total for the voyage.

Dan Z left a message yesterday afternoon; I thought I would catch up with him today, but between seasicknees, Commodore Warwick, and sleeping for three hours in the afternoon from the shot, the day has flown by! Perhaps I will catch up with him tonight - or definitely tomorrow.

Life at sea is a fascinating experience. I can see where people get hooked on Transatlantics.

JRG01, I will fill you in on more sailaway details when I return home.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul, another wonderful installment.

Like JRG01, I would appreciate sailaway details when you return.

In the meantime, have a wonderful trip and a safe return in late June.

Pincus

When are you sailing?? We are on board the 20th Sept to the 14th October. Having cruised since our 19 year old son was 4 both our kids know exactly how to dress formally and informally. In fact I don't know about many of us on here with this thread but it is the only opportunity that we have to get dressed up the nines!! Even going out for a meal you cannot get so dressed up as to feel so special. I always feel like I am special during a cruise because I get the chance to get all dressed up. I'm sure we will be fine, but I am a little apprehensive worrying about all kinds. Many thanks for your reassurance though.

Elaine

Elaine, I love jeans and wear them all the time. The "slob" word was used as a matter of contrast. When everyone is walking around dressed in nice trousers and shirts, and someone wanders by in jeans, it really stands out. That is all; not meant to state that people who wear jeans in general are slobs, just that people who wander around this ship in the evening when everyone else is dressed up, risk the contrast.

Paul

Totally agree that jeans do stand out like a sore thumb when the guys are wearing dinner suits/tuxedo's or just a suit and the ladies are wearing a ballgown/cocktail dress. Thanks for clarifying!! Anyway, I'm glad that the weather is calming down a little for you now. Years ago I had one of those shots. They are great aren't they. You sleep for a couple of hours and then you feel so much better. I hope you managed to stay awake the whole time you were in the company of the commodore. BTW did he mention anything about his queen's honour?? Reading your experience is making me want to be on my holiday tomorrow instead of approx 3 months time. It seems such an age away. Do keep us informed of your experiences for the rest of the trip. They are much appreciated. BTW just out of curiosity how old are you son's?? And are they enjoying their experience??

Elaine

It is 5:40 p.m. ship's time. Just came down from what I refer to as "Boat Deck" (Deck 7). I can remember many times that I visited the Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach and imagined what it would be like to lean against the railing while the great ship plowed through the water. Now my dream has come true. I was enjoying a cup of coffee, leaning over the railing, and looking down at the huge white and black hull plowing through the waters below, creating a wake of white water all around her. It is a tremendous site and screams "power."

The weather continues to be "blustery," to say the least. Thankfully, the air temperature has always been good, so that even when the wind is just about blowing ones hair off their head, it is never cold. As an example, when I came out on deck with my coffee and headed over to the railing, the coffee literally started blowing out of my cup! I quickly figured out how to shield it so that I could keep it with me at the rail. The seas have calmed down compared to yesterday, so that there is very little roll and pitching going on. Mind you, you can always feel the sway of this liner, but nothing problematic.

We all slept in until 10:00 a.m. this morning. I think that was some lingering effect of the shots we had yesterday. In fact, we would have slept longer but my wife heard an announcement from the hall that the crew would be having a lifeboat drill. So we missed breakfast for the second day (yesterday due to seasickness). We also missed Tea for the second day in a row, except for my 11 year old son, who went to Tea yesterday all by himself. That struck me as humorous.

John Cleese was in the Royal Court Theater for a second time today. Was again enjoyable. He commented on how he was seasick yesterday as well and turned to the audience and commented on how there just isn't anything worse than seasickness, don't we think? He said he used the patch and that put him in "a good place" but makes him a little dopey.

We will be meeting up with Dan Z and family for the first time in the Commodore Club at 7 p.m. tonight for cocktails.

Well, I'm off to walk the deck just a little more - it was mostly sunny today by the way - before heading down to get ready for our formal night.

Regards,

Paul

It is 5:40 p.m. ship's time. Just came down from what I refer to as "Boat Deck" (Deck 7).I was enjoying a cup of coffee, leaning over the railing, and looking down at the huge white and black hull plowing through the waters below, creating a wake of white water all around her. It is a tremendous site and screams "power."
If you are approximately amidships looking down as you were, you can see the ship's stabilizers skimming along just below the surface...almost looking like what a white shark or dolphin or something would look like swimming alongside...very white though "tinted greenish" through the water, squarish, and smaller in appearance than I had imagined for such a huge ship.

It is 11:35 a.m. ship's time. Seas are very calm today, cloudy skies, warm temperature (17 degrees C), and calmer winds. Ship steady as a rock today. Seems that many more passengers than normal are out and about within the public areas. By the way, the offical passenger count is 2,408 which I believe, by way of peeking in at the first seating and our second seating, both of which are almost completely occupied.

Everything continues to be fine. I would say the only thing that could use improvement is breakfast in the Britannia. Tends to be slow, and the service at our multi-party table of 8 this morning was downright disjointed. But nothing to lose sleep over.

I am beginning to feel overdosed on food today. Think I will skip lunch altogether and do Tea and the final dinner. We ate in Britannia every night this crossing. The food and service were so good, and the room so impressive, yet warm, that we did not feel any urge to try anything else. I find it hard to believe that even if the King's Court is "upgraded" in the evening to four separate restaurants, that they could even possible compete with Britannia. King's Court seems to me at least, to be terminally cafeteria-ish. We promenaded through there in the evenings, and I was not impressed that the area was somehow transformed into a series of different restaurants. Still looked like a bunch of cafeterias to me. We may try Todd English though someday, if we sail again on the QM2.

I will summarize my thoughts and answer any questions after June 25th, when we return to the States, but suffice it to say, there is something to be said for transatlantic crossings, and it is very positive.

Signing off for now and sailing off to the English horizon.

Paul

Paul,

We have been enjoying your daily posts having disembarked the day you started your adventure. (On that hot June day, I would much rather have been boarding.) I hope you had a good vantage point when going under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

If you sign the CC log book in the bookshop would you check and see if anyone signed after I did?

Thanks and enjoy your time in England. The weather is predicted to be unseasonably warm this summer. I hope it's sunny for you as well.

Tandemtourer

Archived