US bank card in Norway

Am on Celebrity cruise to Norway starting 24 May. Will a Norwegian ATM accept an American-style electronic strip debit/credit card to get NOK currency? Or do they accept only cards with European-style embedded chips?

Thanks!

Sattva

You should have no problem using your card in a Norwegian ATM. I have never had a visitor from the US (or anywhere else) have an issue with this.

Typically the only places that have trouble accepting foreign cards are fast-food places (and some temporary tent stalls in less-touristy situations). In those cases, it's not because of the magnetic-strip vs. chip issue; they only accept debit cards that are part of the local Norwegian system. I've had foreign visitors have problems at a McDonald's and a local late-night kebab stand, even with a chip-and-pin card.

However, taxis, most convenience stores, sit-down restaurants, shops, and tourist attractions can typically accept foreign cards and are equipped for both magnetic-strip and chip-and-pin cards. Keep in mind that at less tourist-friendly places the staff may not be familiar with how to use the magnetic-strip reader with their registers.

You should have no problem using your card in a Norwegian ATM. I have never had a visitor from the US (or anywhere else) have an issue with this. Typically the only places that have trouble accepting foreign cards are fast-food places (and some temporary tent stalls in less-touristy situations). In those cases, it's not because of the magnetic-strip vs. chip issue; they only accept debit cards that are part of the local Norwegian system. I've had foreign visitors have problems at a McDonald's and a local late-night kebab stand, even with a chip-and-pin card. However, taxis, most convenience stores, sit-down restaurants, shops, and tourist attractions can typically accept foreign cards and are equipped for both magnetic-strip and chip-and-pin cards. Keep in mind that at less tourist-friendly places the staff may not be familiar with how to use the magnetic-strip reader with their registers.

Above is a super wonderful summary from the always helpful/wise Meg in Oslo. Excellent and interesting background. I have shared this info on another board to help those in planning. As noted, things can be costly in Norway and parts of the Baltics due to the high labor costs, tax levels, others business expenses, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,061 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...

Archived