A comparison of CCL and RCCL

AllenF

I have a good friend here where i work who I convinced to take a cruise last year it was his 1st. They went with carnival and when he got back he told me how much they enjoyed it and were surprised how 1st rate the food was and the FUN they had. He is are companies lead trainer so he is on the go alot and travels quite a bit. The other day I saw him and we did some catching up he asked me how my Hawaiian cruise was and if I had anymore more planned well you know us Cruise ADDICTS I said yes 2. He then proceeded to tell me he just got back from his 2nd cruise also and I was like *really* how was it. He said he went with a group of friends that would only cruise RCCL because it was so *above * CCL and far better so they told him. My comment was yes I have heard many ppl say just that, so how was it and was prepared to here how wonderful it was. What he said was just the opposite said the food was no where near as good the price was alot higher and the FUN was just not there compared to CCL, that the people on CCL where just a much better atmosphere.

I then told him about some of the prices I have seen Group cruise here get and he was like give me the web address lol. That he had learned the hard way. He said he still had a great vacation and the cruise was good. Just when he compared it to carnival it was not as good overall or fun. Its funny because this guy lives on a very nice lake front home makes a very good living and can afford to cruise on any line he chooses. But he said Carnival people were his kind of people FUN FUN FUN. So I am now trying to get him to go on the Liberty cruise casue if its fun he wants this is the group to go with for sure.HIs nickname is Boogie so he is a CCL for sure :D

My wife and I had been thinking of trying other cruise lines and maybe 1 day we will. So far on every 1 of my CCL cruises I have to agree the people have really made the difference for me. Cause hey if i am not having to cook or clean it is already GREAT ;) . But throw in great people and that always makes Vacations even better. So my hat is off the the CCL faithful you are a some wonderful and fun people to vacation with :)

There some discussion going on OVER THERE:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=188476

Allen,

I feel the same as you. I do wish to try other lines, but there are quite a few that say the same things your colleague says, and I keep booking Carnival. Maybe when there's not a Carnival alternative at the time I'm booking that I'll get my chance.

Or maybe, I'll just double up, book BOTH, and call a RCI cruise a bonus.

It's Cruisingator2's comparisons that make me see what's out there. He raves about their service.

Some day I'll try another cruise line - I was actually booked on NCL but cancelled that to cruise with friends on the new Liberty. Carnival has good pricing and we have no problems with the line but they do need to run a ship out of the northeast in the springtime.

Thanks for the tip. Plan to meet with TA today. Going to Alaska next May. Was told how great RCCL and Princess are - started not to even check into Carnival. Took a peek anyway - surprised by what they have to offer.

We prefer to be in a relaxed atmosphere. Have a teenage son going as well. Think Carnival may be the way to go.

Thanks again!

Myrtle

Carnival is definitely a more relaxed atmosphere.... :)

And, as others have said, I may cruise other lines eventually, but right now I enjoy what Carnival has to offer. Not only in itineraries, but in pricing. If any other cruiseline matches the price, I may look into cruising it.

If it's a question between Carnival and RCCL, I'll take Carnival hands down, any day. I agree with the comments on the food and that Carnival is better. I agree with the activities - again Carnival is better. It's a shame Carnival still has the bad reputation it developed when the company was still developing... But, those of us who sail Carnival know better!

I personally believe its just a personal choice.. We have cruised Carnival 5 times so far and we wanted to go on a cruise in April and my efforts brought me to the RCCL website and we got an awesome deal.. I think the deal was better than we have ever gotten with Carnival for a 7 day cruise.. so we went with it.. My boyfriend cruised RCCL once in the past but I never had.. so we went... and I have to be honest that I prefer Carnival.. but we met several people onboard on that cruise and they were just the opposite.. Not to say that we didnt have a good time, but it was not a good of a time than we normally have with Carnival.. I believe the trip overall is what you make of it.. The atmosphere is so different.. I prefer a more laid back atmosphere and enjoy having fun, etc.. It was very reserved and the activities we liked were slim.. Not sure about how it normally is but the kids were non existent (which isnt a problem) and a big majority of the guests were older.. not that Im young, but I mean OLDER.. Not that we will never cruise them again, but for now my heart is with Carnival.. We already have 2 cruises booked next year and yep they're both with Carnival!! :D

Pete,

I have to agree with your comments and i really think all cruise lines are good and have different things to offer. Because face it everybody likes different things which is a good thing. You know when I was a Kid and you got picked on for having Kmart shoes LOL. So to hear folks call CCL the Walmart of the cruise lines reminds me of that. Last time I checked Walmart was putting many others store out of bussiness. Just like Kmart sold tons of shoes when i was growing up :D . I am not super rich but I can cruise on most any line also for me CCL fits what i like. But to be fair i do need to try other cruise lines to be 100% sure cause I think any cruise is a good cruise.

It is so true that it all depends on the individual as to which cruise line is best. We have cruised Carnival, Princess and Costa...all of course now under the Carnival umbrella. All were great cruises in our opinion, but all different. Cabins on Costa and Carnival seem larger than Princess to us. Food good on all of them but we are not hard to please. Balconies better on Carnival and Costa. Only suite we have had was on Costa and they do have good suite perks..that really just about pay for the difference in cost...FREE, tip included. speciality restaraunt for one night, butler service, priority boarding, etc. Hope this is still happening on Costa. We have friends who are loyal RCCL fans, although they do say cabins are small. The bottom line....a cruise is the best vacation for us...and Carnival did not get to be the biggest cruise line in the world by giving lousy service! They are great in my opinion!

My wife and I have cruised with RCCL 14 times and Carnival 5 times. Comparing them is overall is kinda difficult because they offer different environments. We enjoy RCCL when we want to just relax, be pampered with the Concierge Club, and enjoy a more sedate atmosphere. When we want to be "younger", we cruise Carnival. We have received wonderful treatment from both lines customer service. We have found the ships clean, the food good to great, and the entertainment okay to fantastic on both lines.

If you want the Corvette, go Carnival. If you want the Bentley, go with RCCL. Both give you a great ride; just different. Actually, any cruise is better than a week at the office!

Captain Ronn

Pete,

I read your RCI link and THAT attitude is exactly why I don't care to try RCI!! I am going with a large group on the Conquest in 2 weeks. It will be my third Carnival cruise. Every single adult in our group has a college degree and most have masters etc. My Dh is a dentist...I cannot tolerate snobby people. We could probably afford to sail any line we want but we CHOOSE Carnival:) I take great offense to the Walmart comments but guess what...I believe that I am a smart consumer and Walmart has some GREAT prices on things. Why would I go buy the same identical item at a higher priced store just to say I shop there. That is stupidity if you ask me!! Carnival gives my family what we want at this time in our lives..Maybe some day when my DD is older and not traveling with us, we will try the blue haired lines;) , for now, we choose Carnival and were proud of it!!:p

Stacy,

I agree 100% about the attitudes in Petes link. Oh yes my apologies on calling royal carribean RCCL and not RCI ;) . My intent in this post was not to bash RCI only point out that upper crust she she poo poo style does not always mean better to some who like a relaxed upbeat atmosphere. Because Boogie said the cruise was good just he prefered CCL style and food better.

Stacy,

I agree 100% about the attitudes in Petes link. Oh yes my apologies on calling royal carribean RCCL and not RCI ;) . My intent in this post was not to bash RCI only point out that upper crust she she poo poo style does not always mean better to some who like a relaxed upbeat atmosphere. Because Boogie said the cruise was good just he prefered CCL style and food better.

Allen,

I think that link speaks for itself..We Carnival cruisers actually wouldn't have to say a word:rolleyes: as they are taking care of that themselves:) ...

I personally believe its just a personal choice.. We have cruised Carnival 5 times so far and we wanted to go on a cruise in April and my efforts brought me to the RCCL website and we got an awesome deal.. I think the deal was better than we have ever gotten with Carnival for a 7 day cruise.. so we went with it.. My boyfriend cruised RCCL once in the past but I never had.. so we went... and I have to be honest that I prefer Carnival.. but we met several people onboard on that cruise and they were just the opposite.. Not to say that we didnt have a good time, but it was not a good of a time than we normally have with Carnival.. I believe the trip overall is what you make of it.. The atmosphere is so different.. I prefer a more laid back atmosphere and enjoy having fun, etc.. It was very reserved and the activities we liked were slim.. Not sure about how it normally is but the kids were non existent (which isnt a problem) and a big majority of the guests were older.. not that Im young, but I mean OLDER.. Not that we will never cruise them again, but for now my heart is with Carnival.. We already have 2 cruises booked next year and yep they're both with Carnival!! :D
This is the kind of thing that always strikes me as odd. If we, as Carnival cruisers, are supposedly the Walmart-shoppers of the cruise world, then how is it one of us can state how we don't prefer RCCL without resorting to name calling and social descriptions?

Thank you Waterbound, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I have never understood the why's of comparing cruise lines nor the fights over which one is better.

They are different. That's it. They both have their good points and their bad points, but overall any cruise line you go on has something to offer that is good.

So why fight? Go do them all, and enjoy them all.

I don't know if it holds true on all sailings but, several years ago I was on the Empress of the Seas (back then it was still the Nordic Empress) for a Bermuda cruise...this is at least 5 years ago. Anyhow, the cruise director stood on stage and time after time bashed Carnival. I have never experienced that on any other cruise line!! Does that give everyone a bit of insight to Royal Caribbean? But, what do I know...I've only been on 20+ cruises, sailed Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Crystal, and oh yeah SilverSeas. I do shop at Walmart for certain items but, I also shop at Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstorms, Macy's, Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman, and, I have lived in two of the most sophisticated cities in the United States - born, raised, and educated in NYC (in Manhattan on the Upper East Side, thank you very much); I have a graduate degree from Stanford University and I currently live in one of the most expensive towns in the San Francisco Bay area. And guess what...I SAIL ON CARNIVAL AND I HAVE DONE SO MORE THAN ONCE!!

I, too, take offense to the Royal Caribbean board and, wish they'd learn something from "us idiots" over here on the Carnival board!!

Ok sorry for the ranting...now back to your regularly scheduled Carnival bashing...

I don't know if it holds true on all sailings but, several years ago I was on the Empress of the Seas (back then it was still the Nordic Empress) for a Bermuda cruise...this is at least 5 years ago. Anyhow, the cruise director stood on stage and time after time bashed Carnival. I have never experienced that on any other cruise line!! Does that give everyone a bit of insight to Royal Caribbean? But, what do I know...I've only been on 20+ cruises, sailed Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Crystal, and oh yeah SilverSeas. I do shop at Walmart for certain items but, I also shop at Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstorms, Macy's, Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman, and, I have lived in two of the most sophisticated cities in the United States - born, raised, and educated in NYC (in Manhattan on the Upper East Side, thank you very much); I have a graduate degree from Stanford University and I currently live in one of the most expensive towns in the San Francisco Bay area. And guess what...I SAIL ON CARNIVAL AND I HAVE DONE SO MORE THAN ONCE!!

I, too, take offense to the Royal Caribbean board and, wish they'd learn something from "us idiots" over here on the Carnival board!!

Ok sorry for the ranting...now back to your regularly scheduled Carnival bashing...

Well Said!! I couldn't agree more, from one idiot to another;)

It's interesting about cruise lines...know a person who she and her family sailed Carnival and have previously sailed RCCL - she said even her teenage boys won't go back to Carnival - they just like RCCL better even if it's more $$ which it is.

I have sailed out of NYC on 6 cruises in the last 6 years on CCL Legend (twice), NCL Dawn (twice), and Celebrity Horizon (twice) and booked on Celebrity Zenith this Fall. I like all these ships and lines equally, with each having their own pros and cons.

In the past I have chosen, Celebrity (to Bermuda) over the RCI ship because it had much better reviews and larger cabins, and was very happy with my choice. RCI has the Voyager of the Seas going out of Bayonne,NJ, which is very convenient, and would love to try, but I'm not interested in the itineraries offered. If they added some springtime cruises to the E. Car. (maybe 10 day) or 7 day to Bermuda, I would try them.

My brother was on the RCI- Mariner of the Seas the same time we were on the Legend and while comparing notes they seemed very similar, and I know his tastes so I can trust his judgement. The one main difference: on non-formal nights he wore dress shorts to the dining room and many other men did the same. I didn't see any shorts in the dining room for dinner on the CCL ship ... :rolleyes:

I've been on a number of CCL cruises and two RCI cruises. I was just on the Mariner of the Seas last month. Some of my personal observations:

Cabins bigger on CCL.... 1 for Bob Dickenson

Price a little lower on CCL

On CCL frozen drinks come "ready to drink" on the mariner the drinks were made "virgin" and the booze floated on top. Straw becomes a butter churn:)

No tables out by the main pool on the mariner

On CCL you can get out of the sun, sit at a table with your casual chow and drink of choice and still partake of the poolside action.

The mariner main show lounge had seats like a theatre. read: no tables to sit your drink on. Also, if you had to go P you had to disturb everyone on your row, unless you had an aisle seat.

On CCL the main show lounges have "couches" with little cocktail tables in front of them.

I called the food a draw. The DW thinks RCI was a little better. I do think the appetizer portions were larger on RCI. The pizza is better on CCL.

On CCL ships the casual resaurant (back of lido deck) has silverware on the table. On the mariner you ahd to find your own

The cabin breakfast order menu on the Mariner included stuff like 3 egg omelettes, bacon etc. On CCL it was just continental breakfast.

On the Mariner they call your room when the room service is on the way. I thought this was great because I'm one of those people who need java when my feet hit the floor. OK, OK, java is the second thing;) This way if room service is running a little slow, you just sleep in until it's ready

sederot---You are exactly right! I would have to say that food is better on Carnival...more to my personal liking....... and Carnival has better entertainment.......perhaps it's an age thing.....

I would cruise on either line again in a heartbeat!!!

Archived