Whisky question

Ka Honu

Bushmills, however, is Protestant liquor

One of the advantages to being American is the almost sacred separation of church and tavern which allows us to ignore such distinctions and enjoy the offerings of both John Jameson and Bushmills.

My local liquor store carries MacLeod and Teachers. I'll acquire on your recommendation.

Bushmills, however, is Protestant liquor.

Interestingly, the Catholic (Jameson's) vs Protestant (Bushmill's) debate is not one found in Ireland, but is an Irish-American poser! Although it is true, not surprisingly, that more Bushmill's was drunk in the Protestant North and more Jameson's in the Catholic South. Now of course Jameson's is owned by the (French) Pernod-Ricard corporation and Bushmill's by (British) Diageo. There are other distilleries, such as Cooley, now owned by Beam Inc and smaller brands such as Knappogue Castle which is sometimes made at Cooley and sometimes at Bushmills! It's very sad that there aren't any truly independent Irish whiskey distilleries any more.

FWIW, they have up-market drinks for additional money. If Macallan isn't your style, a glass of 10 year old Talisker cost only $4. Laphroiag is an extra, also - but I don't know the price.

On a recent round the horn voyage, they held a single malt tasting. Limited to an audience of 14 - and it did not fill up !

Take this from a Scotsman who's drunk virtually every whisky there is over the past 50 years...

...I get to know the bartenders early in the cruise and if they only have one bottle get them to keep it out of sight so it doesn't get wasted on undiscerning palates!

I've been to Scotland and have been served haggis amongst other Scottish cuisine, speaking of undiscerning palates!

:cool:

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

I've been to Scotland and have been served haggis amongst other Scottish cuisine, speaking of undiscerning palates!

:cool:

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

I am also a Scotsman (from deepest darkest Glasgow) and I have also drunk many whiskies and I have a strong dislike for Haggis.

The thing about whisky is that everyone has their own preferences and there are a great many more opinions than there are whiskies.

I, for example, do not especially like Teachers. If I am drinking a blend then give me a Famous Grouse any day of the week. And, when it comes to blends, I think that the various Johnny Walker permutations are over-hyped and over-priced. But that is just me.

That said, I don't really have a favourite. Just some whiskies that I prefer over others.

FWIW, they have up-market drinks for additional money. If Macallan isn't your style, a glass of 10 year old Talisker cost only $4. Laphroiag is an extra, also - but I don't know the price.

On a recent round the horn voyage, they held a single malt tasting. Limited to an audience of 14 - and it did not fill up !

Personally, I would take a complimentary Glenmorangie over a $4 Talisker any day of the week.

One of the strangest things we have seen in our travels was at the Bushmills distillery in Northern Ireland. They were bottling Jameson that was being trucked up from the South. How nice for these competitors to work so well together.

Archived